Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

I've been cleared by Doc Hisey to give a little tease about what their RENO 2022 plans are..

I have NOT been cleared to give any technical details, however, I have been invited to "embed" with the team to get an inside look at their, hopefully, victorious RNO22 campaign...

So, I've been cleared to say their are significant changes to the airplane and they are getting ready for a major run at the trophy..

That's it...

Are the unlimiteds dead.. Not as long as guys like Doc are possessing the desire to win!

I do not have all the details yet, many, enough to know it's going to mean a significant speed increase...

Dunno about you but this really is exciting to me!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Miss America: RENO AIR RACES 2022 - Exciting Things Happening

Oh man! This is awesome to hear!!! Keep us posted Wayne!!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

This is going to be exciting.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this... Both Dr. Hisey taking the trophy, and Wayne writing about it!

A few days back when Wayne hinted, "I've got one more project at RENO and it's Mic Drop" I thought just maybe RARA had a new announcer for the Unlimiteds. LOL Maybe I wasn't so far off.

Comment

Knowing what I know about Miss A, I hope this is the beginning of a new chapter in its racing history, rather than the last chapter. The Unlimiteds aren't dead, we have Sport class guys dropping BiG $$$$$$$$$$ to make the step up (I know of 4 Sport racers who are all in, Jim Rust and Jeff Lavelle are the two known, and I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag for the other two.) plus we have Robert Dickson with Swamp Fox coming out for the first time, as well as another who's name I can't think of. We have Scotty Crandlemire with his Yak (He raced IF1 with Dusty years ago, so he's not really a new comer to Reno.) There is interest from Sam Davis with his Yak, Graeme Frew would really like to come back and race someone's Yak if he can't get Full Noise back. Tsunami is still making progress. We need to have some faith that the new faces will continue to return. We don't know what Jim and Jeff are up to, but they are both very competitive and I can't see them both being happy to race each other at the front of the Silver, going slower than they would in their Sport class birds yet with a much higher cost.

If things play out like I think they will, we will see only one Sea Fury on the podium this year. (Unless Sawbones comes back, or an unexpected return of Czechmate, Strega or Voodoo.) Yep the silly season has arrived, and I think we have lots to be excited about.

I'd really like to see Miss A take home the trophy this year.

Will

Comment

I would be very happy to see Miss A on the top step of the box this year.

Comment

I am in awe of Brent "Doc" Hisey/s determination to continue his quest to win RENO!

Holding together a team, gathering the resources to hit that nail on the head and pull it off is a very complicated process. Unfortunately, I'll not personally get to see the OK City progress but a very busy good friend who is still keeping up a career at the FAA academy while caring for a seriously ill wife lives in, you guessed it OK City!

You all know Mark Kallio he and I are like brothers and he is going to do his best to grab photos gather info and whatever we're permitted to release, we'll do it here!

Will's going to be helping on the photo side.. I may have to knock him out and take his place (KIDDING) once or twice but, as much as I'd love to live at the pylons if we're gonna do Doc right on this coverage, I'm going to have to be in the pits during most of the racing..

At this point, not knowing where else this might publish... (was hoping Jan would pick it up for FJ) what we can do is the very best job of getting info out promptly accurately and beat the bushes to get more fans salivating lining up to buy tickets

Pretty sure none of us make any money covering Reno (lol, I've spent more on camera gear than I'd ever hope to make doing the work with them) what I'm saying is, my goal has always been to promote the races... I had dreams of seeing a race series like the old days. That prolly wont happen but I'd sure hate to see what we have disappear.. Buy dem dang tickets folks!

It'll be a ball I'm sure, now I have to secure a close by spot for a 10 x 40 ft motorhome. Pretty sure we'll find something..
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I've got stuff covered from the pylons and from the hillside on Saturday.

Will

Comment

This is great news! I've always loved Miss A and wanted to pass the love of air racing on to my nephew, so I built this to get him inspired. Thanks Dr. Hisey for all you've done and are doing. I for one am pulling for you in 2022!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Miss A Pedal Plane.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	564.0 KB
ID:	232050
                  James

Comment

Great news to hear Doc and Miss A will be in Reno come September. Is it okay to guess or speculate as to what the mods might be?

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                      I've got stuff covered from the pylons and from the hillside on Saturday.

Will
                      This is great stuff Will! Traditionally, we've always managed to be affiliated with photographers who's skills are far more advanced! I'm not a great photographer, what I've been decent at is getting OPPORTUNITY to get some stuff that turned out to be historically valuable.

I'm so happy that that tradition will continue with Will's further participation with aafoi...

Question, off topic, what do you think about changing the name of the site to "INSIDE AIR RACING" I have owned that domain name forever... I choose aafo because back then, search engines used alphabetic as part of the algorithm in search results.. I also planned and did a lot of coverage of "all aviation" subjects... the racing part actually happened after my initial "breaking story" about the Spruce Goose..

Anyway, been thinking about it for a while, I can set up redirercts so that anyone who types in aafo.com wiill arrive at raceplanes.com
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Until I figure a better way to do it, I'm going to post up-to-date what's going on at Miss America Hangar here... I welcome you guys that know how better than me to share on FB

The coincidence that Pylon1 Mark Kallio is teaching at the FAA Academy located in OK City and Doc Hisey is based out of there... annnd that I could get Mark involved, reluctantly at first, understandably due to his bride's current cancer battle but on the story now ... I'm blessed!

Mark sold all his camera gear, mine's been sitting in the camera bag since Reno 2020.. Shipping gear to him so he can better document the progress in OK City..

This story has blossomed beyond my wildest expectations, the fact I can reunite with old friends/associates... Getting Mark involved again with me is priceless! I learned MUCH from him, our subsequent competition inspired me to do better.. I can safely say, I owe Markers a debt of gratitude!

This is going to be FUN!!!!!!!!!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          Until I figure a better way to do it, I'm going to post up-to-date what's going on at Miss America Hangar here... I welcome you guys that know how better than me to share on FB

The coincidence that Pylon1 Mark Kallio is teaching at the FAA Academy located in OK City and Doc Hisey is based out of there... annnd that I could get Mark involved, reluctantly at first, understandably due to his bride's current cancer battle but on the story now ... I'm blessed!

Mark sold all his camera gear, mine's been sitting in the camera bag since Reno 2020.. Shipping gear to him so he can better document the progress in OK City..

This story has blossomed beyond my wildest expectations, the fact I can reunite with old friends/associates... Getting Mark involved again with me is priceless! I learned MUCH from him, our subsequent competition inspired me to do better.. I can safely say, I owe Markers a debt of gratitude!

Wayne I’ll gladly pass your info on through FB - the initial post I put up a few days ago got some good hype (and continues to do so!) Can only imagine the hype when current spy shots start coming around.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post

You're too kind Mr Wayners - the feeling is mutual. I would say a more, but as you're well aware, I have to leave in a few minutes to visit someone at Wiley Post Airport with a story to share.

Oh, and you're 110% spot on when you said... this is going to be fun
                            Mark K....

Comment

That was fun!

How about a teaser pic

You know, the one that almost hides what's goin' on... look close, you might see something new.
                              Attached Files
                              Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                              X