Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRS 2022: Who's going, photogs, pilots, fans???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS 2022: Who's going, photogs, pilots, fans???

Have not decided if I want to do the 6+ hr drive from Warrenton to RENO for PRS.. Getting steroid shots in both knees tomorrow, delaying necessary dual replacement as long as possible! Shots will be wearing off about RENO 22.. going to schedule surgery, if all works well, for not long after the National Championship Air Races..

So, anybody have info on who will be officially attending, how many of us (I think we all qualify as superfans) will be there.

I'd love to drive "the beast" down and Glamp out there for a few days but, carp! 602 miles from here to there would be a 100 gallon tankful of diesel at about close to $600. each way....

Can't justify that expense, would be way cheaper to fly, rent a car and a hotel... or at least, cheaper..

Trying to whenagle a spot for the coach in September..

It's truly hard for me to say this but, despite having a mission this year, I'm still having to slap myself to gain enthusiasm to even go in September..

S O B if I didn't turn into an old man once I bought this acre property!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: PRS 2022: Who's going, photogs, pilots, fans???

I have the green light from RARA to go, but I'm trying to figure out logistics, such as where to get a shower since I'll be camping. I'm also trying to figure out what to do with work.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      I have the green light from RARA to go, but I'm trying to figure out logistics, such as where to get a shower since I'll be camping. I'm also trying to figure out what to do with work.

Will
      We (meaning the site) have some friends down there... Will's going to be kind of our eyes.. I'm not going to make it, going to PT to get my knees ready for replacement... will have this done right after RENO proper..

Anyway Will, I'm kind of dragging my net here, I know of more than one shower in the hangars...

ANYBODY want to lend a hand to Will????

He's going to become the new face of AAFO.COM after all..

We need him pretty for whatever he winds up getting access to.

I know you guys can help!!!!!!!!!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

When is PRS this year? I would deeply like to avoid what happened to me last time, which was to ride 125 miles up there only to find a very empty Stead. It's not quite the same without airplane noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
          When is PRS this year? I would deeply like to avoid what happened to me last time, which was to ride 125 miles up there only to find a very empty Stead. It's not quite the same without airplane noise.
          Its June 5-10th. We should have 1 Yak, and 3 Mustangs (Jim Rust in the former "Georgia Mae", Robert Dickson in "Swamp Fox", and My Sweet Mary Lou, I don't know the name of the owner, but this was in the NAHI display last year. The Yak will be flown by Scotty Crandlemire and is powered by an R2000.) for the Unlimiteds, but there might be some late adds as well. I don't know what the other classes are looking like. I'd bet there will be a good number of Sport and IF1/Bipes as well.

I have no info on Miss Trinidad (Yak with an R2000). I thought Sam Davis might have this ready to go by now, but I haven't heard a word on whether or not its even flown. I did see Bill Shepherd had his Yak 3 with an Allison out and about last weekend, perhaps we'll see it at PRS? (I'm going to say its a LONG shot but who knows.)

That is all the info I have.

Will

Comment

Thanks for the info Will! I'd like to get up there on a weekday, but my work schedule will likely prohibit that.

Comment

Its June 5-10th. We should have 1 Yak, and 3 Mustangs (Jim Rust in the former "Georgia Mae", Robert Dickson in "Swamp Fox", and My Sweet Mary Lou, I don't know the name of the owner, but this was in the NAHI display last year. The Yak will be flown by Scotty Crandlemire and is powered by an R2000.) for the Unlimiteds, but there might be some late adds as well. I don't know what the other classes are looking like. I'd bet there will be a good number of Sport and IF1/Bipes as well.

I have no info on Miss Trinidad (Yak with an R2000). I thought Sam Davis might have this ready to go by now, but I haven't heard a word on whether or not its even flown. I did see Bill Shepherd had his Yak 3 with an Allison out and about last weekend, perhaps we'll see it at PRS? (I'm going to say its a LONG shot but who knows.)

That is all the info I have.

Will
              I would wager the Unlimited representation will be 924G, Yak Race 26, and possibly Georgia Mae and My Sweet Mary Lou (Gene Mallette). Mary Lou has been flying some circles around Idaho Falls Regional recently, so that's looking positive. Swamp Fox is based on the east coast so I could see RT attending PRS without the plane. If John Maloney will be racing Miss Trinidad I don't expect to see it at PRS. Anything outside of this would be a nice surprise.
              Last edited by GRNDP51; 05-26-2022, 10:20 AM.
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                I would wager the Unlimited representation will be 924G, Yak Race 26, and possibly Georgia Mae and My Sweet Mary Lou (Gene Mallette). Mary Lou has been flying some circles around Idaho Falls Regional recently, so that's looking positive. Swamp Fox is based on the east coast so I could see RT attending PRS without the plane. If John Maloney will be racing Miss Trinidad I don't expect to see it at PRS. Anything outside of this would be a nice surprise.
                I spoke with RT and he is flying Swamp Fox out. If John Maloney is flying Miss T, I'd guess they'd want to do some laps for testing.

We'll know in a couple weeks.

Will

Comment

I spoke with RT and he is flying Swamp Fox out. If John Maloney is flying Miss T, I'd guess they'd want to do some laps for testing.

We'll know in a couple weeks.

Will
                  I would like to formally introduce everyone here to the fact that Will will be taking over a lot of the ADMIN/MODERATOR functions here. He's very talented, a great guy and better moderator than I am as I've turned into a grumpy old fart!

I will be working with RARA to get him the very best access possible..

I can't get him set up for a place for a shower this year at PRS (any help on subject appreciated)

But, we're extremely lucky to have an energetic YOUNGER (though by how much I'm not sure) I was diagnosed today with afib, which, thankfully may put me back on track to my former self..

Will is actually more dedicated than I ever was.. I NEVER camped there during PRS without access to shower!

From the bottom of my heart, Will, thank you for sticking with me with all my rants and overbearing posts when I drink and type... I don't have to be drinking to rant!!! I'm just that way LOL

Anyway Will, THANKS! Welcome to bunk with me in the coach...
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Glad to hear that, Wayne. Will is great guy, as long as he keeps track of his keys....

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Tibia View Post
                      Glad to hear that, Wayne. Will is great guy, as long as he keeps track of his keys....

Bob
                      LOL, cracks me up! I have to have MULTIPLE backup for keys unless controlled by code.. then, it's all in my phone...ahh... I've used the old GM plastic business card size wallet with teeth only door key.. Nice!

Taking a picture of both sides of your key and keeping it on your phone works... so I'm told!!

I really hope we can team up and use my motorhome out there..

RENO 2022, from PRS onto a what promises to be a great National Championship Air Races and Airshow adventure!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Tibia View Post

Bob
                        The keys weren't lost, they were in a very safe place... I just happened to forget where that safe place was for a bit. Actually, I think I left them in the ignition of the car and didn't lock the car. (I can't remember).

As for taking over the site, I have some big shoes to fill. I don't know the first thing about programing a website, or how to change things around on one. I am looking forward to getting things updated, getting the title page reworked so that its up to date, (so it doesn't look like the page hasn't been updated in several years.) I really hope I can get some more people to contribute and hopefully bring the site back to where it was 15 years ago.

One of my goals for PRS is to try and tentatively set up some ramp shoots for September. I want to get the opportunities for people to capture awesome stuff to help promote the races, the site, and the pilots and planes. I'm talking, possible night runs, good stuff like that. We have a few new faces in the unlimiteds, as well as all the other classes, so I'd really like to encourage them to come back if they have a good experience this year. (Maybe, just maybe, even join the site.) With this now being the only non Facebook air racing site, its important to make sure the content is top notch. Forums are not dead, I'm a member of several that are still very active. This one is going to need to evolve a bit however. Okay this is getting off the topic of PRS, so perhaps a new thread is warranted.

Back to PRS, still exploring options. I've got no issues sleeping on a cot, in a tent. Not a big deal, and its really convenient when evening goes late, and the morning comes early (no need to get up extra early just to drive in from somewhere else. Just get up eat something and walk out onto the ramp.) It does sound like the pilots lounge has a shower, but I don't know if I can get access to it.

Will

Comment

RARA's email newsletter says 100+ participants, including 33 students with 7 being Unlimited pilots. Off the cuff that includes RT Dickson (Swamp Fox), Scotty Crandlemire (Yak Race 26), Gene Mallette (Sweet Mary Lou), possibly Jim Rust if he counts as a "student" (Barbara Jean). I'm not sure if "student" would mean pilots that haven't raced in a few years, because Dusty would be part of this group as well assuming he ends up racing something. Maybe John Maloney too if Miss Trinidad is racing.
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The Jim Rust needs to be checked out as an Unlimited pilot. The same way Vicky Benzing was last year. If you have been away from the sport or class for 3 years, you need a checkout, so Dusty is in there for that. It will be interesting to see who the other unknown guys are.

Will

Comment

June 10th at 4pm I will be having a small memorial for my dad if anyone can come

Shawn

Comment

Working...
                              X