Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sounds like there is some trash talking happening in the Unlimited world...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sounds like there is some trash talking happening in the Unlimited world...

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

I've got one more project at RENO and it's Mic Drop!
    Hoping this is what I think it is, exciting if so, even if it's the last hurrah. Give it your all Wayne.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR
      I don't want to spread any rumors here, but apparently Curt Brown ticked off the rest of the team, and the owner injured his hand and can't fly it now either. There was some speculation that Sawbones would be up for sale in the near future, but that was back in Sept, and apparently nothing has happened on that front. It would be great to get them back out, but I think they are a giant wildcard at this time. I was also told that the damage from the canopy still hadn't been fixed as of last September either.

Anything is possible, I'd love to see them on the ramp in Sept.

Will
      I actually just got off the phone with Curt.. there's more to this than you know... all I am going to say.
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by dec View Post
        Aren't we forgetting Sawbones? I thought I read where they weren't able to be at Reno last year but were planning on being there this year--or has that since changed?
        Actually I just got off the phone with Curt Brown, Sawbones will not be at RENO 22.
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Moving up? Lest anyone forget Tom Dwelle traded his winning T6 Tinkertoy for what he would name Critical Mass. Not all moving to Unlimited are from Sport class.

Comment

Interesting thread. I, too, hold hope for the future of the Unlimited class.

That said (and just to throw out something to debate): what about the actual SITE? Didn't they impose a cap/speed limit on the Jet class? And, it seems that the course keeps changing/shrinking.

Been going since '72. LOVED the anticipation/potential/new ideas that kept advancing the speed of the Unlimitieds. Are the Warbirds topped out? I mean they keep modifying them and Strega/VooDoo/Dago Red/Rare Bear were/are (if they show) AWESOME. But I think the future lies in Tsunami-types: smaller, lighter airframes with MONSTER motors. What's anybody's opinion on Pond types or maybe a MEGA-Sport type breaking into the Unlimited class. Even then, any possibility that the class with reach the limit of the course and be a LIMITED Unlimited?

That being said, I'd rather see a pack fighting it out at 440-470 than two fighting it out at 500.

Whatd'ya think?

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
              Interesting thread. I, too, hold hope for the future of the Unlimited class.

That said (and just to throw out something to debate): what about the actual SITE? Didn't they impose a cap/speed limit on the Jet class? And, it seems that the course keeps changing/shrinking.

Been going since '72. LOVED the anticipation/potential/new ideas that kept advancing the speed of the Unlimitieds. Are the Warbirds topped out? I mean they keep modifying them and Strega/VooDoo/Dago Red/Rare Bear were/are (if they show) AWESOME. But I think the future lies in Tsunami-types: smaller, lighter airframes with MONSTER motors. What's anybody's opinion on Pond types or maybe a MEGA-Sport type breaking into the Unlimited class. Even then, any possibility that the class with reach the limit of the course and be a LIMITED Unlimited?

That being said, I'd rather see a pack fighting it out at 440-470 than two fighting it out at 500.

Whatd'ya think?
              It will be interesting to see if any of the one-off Unlimiteds would be able to hit the Jet class speed limit. Especially with the timing change, Strega and Voodoo pretty much flat out down the chute in 2017 were at least 20-30mph off of the speed limit, even with the dive on Lap 1. I would assume the Jet class speed limit is based on lap speed, timers report average lap speed and if it's above 515mph they're told to cool it. That's insanely fast for an Unlimited. It's hard to imagine that Tsunami/Shockwave/etc. can average 515mph laps consistently where they're getting told to slow down, especially with the course being as tight as it is.
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
              X