Where did all the heroes go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did all the heroes go...

I have noticed posts here every now and then which bring up a certain part, wingtip, canopy or something, and where did it end up. I have been looking at some old photos on Flickr and one caught my eye. It leaves me with the following question; where do all these hardened race pilots go when they're done? Is there like a special retirement home for these steely eyed hunters with their gaze. And their ears at the ready, waiting for that special time to emerge...

Reno Air Races, Stead Airport, NV - Sept. 1980 Owner: Joe F. Banducci, Bakersfield, CA, October 1977-1982 Pilot: John Putman

Click image for larger version

Name:	41198643735_25db70292a_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	242775

T J

Re: Where did all the heroes go...

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
    I have noticed posts here every now and then which bring up a certain part, wingtip, canopy or something, and where did it end up. I have been looking at some old photos on Flickr and one caught my eye. It leaves me with the following question; where do all these hardened race pilots go when they're done? Is there like a special retirement home for these steely eyed hunters with their gaze. And their ears at the ready, waiting for that special time to emerge...

Reno Air Races, Stead Airport, NV - Sept. 1980 Owner: Joe F. Banducci, Bakersfield, CA, October 1977-1982 Pilot: John Putman

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26447[/ATTACH]

T J
    I'm pretty sure Clay still has his Snoopy. As ashamed as I am to admit it I do recall a couple of teddy bears that might've gone flying in a certain airplane, but I think I might be suffering from old age and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
      I'm pretty sure Clay still has his Snoopy. As ashamed as I am to admit it I do recall a couple of teddy bears that might've gone flying in a certain airplane, but I think I might be suffering from old age and my memory isn't what it used to be.
      I may be mis-remembering, but I think Snoopy was in the cockpit in 2015 or when Vicky brought it a few years ago.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

This is should be a fun thread! I don't have any pictures, but I'm remembering a gorilla who stood watch over Howard Pardue's pit.

Comment

Yes I saw Vicky with "Snoopy" in her hands.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
          X