American Spirit, Shockwave, Lear Solution, Tsunami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Spirit, Shockwave, Lear Solution, Tsunami

Someone suggested starting threads dedicated to air racers that haven't yet achieved their original goals. Some are partially built and some still haven't left the napkin or paper. I was lucky enough to see American Spirit in Daves backyard, I didn't take pictures. It was actually looking like it was going to happen and the Bearcat had a target on it. I always got along with Dave and Bonnie and the dogs but it seemed like some people working there didn't appreciate my presence. Okay, we'll see you at Reno.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	242774

Re: American Spirit, Shockwave, Lear Solution, Tsunami

I remember one of the big deals was going to be at race power with the airbrakes deployed coming down the chute. There was also talk of keeping the ejection seat. The weight, practicalities and legalities of actually maintaining an ejection seat put a damper on that concept.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
      Someone suggested starting threads dedicated to air racers that haven't yet achieved their original goals. Some are partially built and some still haven't left the napkin or paper. I was lucky enough to see American Spirit in Daves backyard, I didn't take pictures. It was actually looking like it was going to happen and the Bearcat had a target on it. I always got along with Dave and Bonnie and the dogs but it seemed like some people working there didn't appreciate my presence. Okay, we'll see you at Reno.
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]26440[/ATTACH]
      Great thread! Any idea where American spirit is now and why it was never finished. I thought I heard Rod may own it-

Comment

Originally posted by rforslund View Post
        Great thread! Any idea where American spirit is now and why it was never finished. I thought I heard Rod may own it-
        Rod does own it. His crew worked on it in the back of Aviation Classic for a few years, then the project was abandoned. It was all stuffed into shipping containers and shipped down to Rod's place in TX.

Comment

I like seeing models and RC airplanes of all these what-if designs.

American Spirit model: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyf...57675995647107

Shockwave RC: https://www.modelairplanenews.com/wp.../Shockwave.pdf
          "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Isn't the hang up with American Spirit something to do with the nose gear? I seem to remember someone in the know saying they couldn't find a workable solution for the nose gear that was strong enough that would fit in the space available.

Will

Comment

I've heard that too.

In thinking about it more it might not actually be the "nose gear" itself. Thinking about the forces at play:
              the ground hits the tire, the tire compresses and pushes on the wheel. The wheel pushes on the axle and strut assembly. Lastly the strut assembly pushes on the mounts in the airframe.

The tire to Strut assembly should be possible to fix/find. If the B-1 or B-2 can do it, it's possible for this. But what could easily open up a whole can of worms is when that beefy strut is applying loads to the airframe. That could becomes a very big structural modification really quickly.

Could convert it to a tail dragger but now you probably have to move the main gear which would mean having to move the wing (another structures nightmare)
              Last edited by CubersWrist; 01-07-2022, 12:08 PM.
              "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                I've heard that too.

In thinking about it more it might not actually be the "nose gear" itself. Thinking about the forces at play:
                the ground hits the tire, the tire compresses and pushes on the wheel. The wheel pushes on the axle and strut assembly. Lastly the strut assembly pushes on the mounts in the airframe.

The tire to Strut assembly should be possible to fix/find. If the B-1 or B-2 can do it, it's possible for this. But what could easily open up a whole can of worms is when that beefy strut is applying loads to the airframe. That could becomes a very big structural modification really quickly.

Could convert it to a tail dragger but now you probably have to move the main gear which would mean having to move the wing (another structures nightmare)
                I do remember talking to Dave about the nose gear, he made it sound like he had it figured out. I think it just ran out of funding. If I remember correctly Bill Jones (owner of Aircraft Cylinder and Turbine) and Howard Keck Jr were the main financial partners. After Bill died in his T-28 it seemed like the funding sort of dried up. I was not involved in that project so if anything I've said is incorrect I'd love to be corrected. I left out one name because that person can occasionally be litigious.

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                  I've heard that too.

Dave's original design had it using an F-100 nose gear assembly. The last time I saw it in person a few years ago they had the fuselage up on a jig and the nose gear roughly in place. It really did not look they were going to have the room to swing it as intended. There also appeared to be a lot of interference with things like fluid tanks and the supercharger section.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    Dave's original design had it using an F-100 nose gear assembly. The last time I saw it in person a few years ago they had the fuselage up on a jig and the nose gear roughly in place. It really did not look they were going to have the room to swing it as intended. There also appeared to be a lot of interference with things like fluid tanks and the supercharger section.
                    Was Dave there?

Comment

Was Dave there?
                      No. This was in 2014 or 2015 when it was being worked on in the back of Alby's by one of the new crews.

Comment

Be so kind to fill me in on Lear Solution. Don't think I've ever seen or heard of that one. Any drawings?

Comment

Originally posted by TarDevil View Post
                          Be so kind to fill me in on Lear Solution. Don't think I've ever seen or heard of that one. Any drawings?
                          Provided by Big Jim in another thread. I suspect it was a bunch of big minds sitting around with a bit of lubricant, but you never know...
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0510.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	231996
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by knot4u; 01-12-2022, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Provided by Big Jim in another thread. I suspect it was a bunch of big minds sitting around with a bit of lubricant, but you never know...
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]26445[/ATTACH]
                            That was part of the beauty of that era! Think of it.. do it!

Tsunami, Miss Ashley II, purely ground up creations. TERRIBLE outcomes for both but it just speaks to the will to have a RENO win.

Will Whiteside with Steadfast may well be the last guy to just bring a "stocker" soup it up a bit and race it. As much as the big boys really are the stars of the show, there used to be a significant number of entries that were a lot like the old "run what you brung" very early days.

I don't think the costs involved with insurance and such are going to make that sort of effort very popular.

I sure would love to see some innovative ideas in the unlimited as we know it move forward. But Like Mr. Slack has said to me, the real future of the sport lies with, the Sport class..

.... Sorry if I've dragged this off topic at all..
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              That was part of the beauty of that era! Think of it.. do it!

Tsunami, Miss Ashley II, purely ground up creations. TERRIBLE outcomes for both but it just speaks to the will to have a RENO win.

Will Whiteside with Steadfast may well be the last guy to just bring a "stocker" soup it up a bit and race it. As much as the big boys really are the stars of the show, there used to be a significant number of entries that were a lot like the old "run what you brung" very early days.

I don't think the costs involved with insurance and such are going to make that sort of effort very popular.
                              Good point, Wayne. Also, in a Yak, Graeme Frew has continued this spirit up to very recent years. I can't begin to imagine what it cost to ship Full Noise from the other side of the World, but he just really wanted to race it

Comment

Working...
                              X