Xtreme Air racing availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Xtreme Air racing availability

You mentioned MissAII, I have been wanting to build the aircraft but haven't been able to get any 3view drawings. If you know where there are any please pass on the word. Although i guess I could create my own using a mustang and then add on some lear wings. Still need some good reference photos though.

Comment

I just got my copy of Redline XAR2 yesterday for $15 (10 + shipping)...

There are some improvements not mentioned in reviews:
      1600x1200 resolution is now available
      higher resolution textures

All I have done is do a free flight with Strega, but just the two improvements listed above were pretty nice. When I get more time, I will do a better comparison.

What I really want to know is if the game now supports 8 online players at the same time.

I hope more people get this version as it falls into the bargain bin since it appears to finally fulfill the promise of the original XAR with T-6 and F1 racing plus a greater variety of tracks. I am not a big fan of the "combat racing", but having more options never hurts sales, so I am not against it.

Comment

Finally got some racing time in...

Redline appears to have finally reached the full potential of XAR.
        I only noticed two glitches:

1. The announcer doesn't call the aircraft order correctly (i.e. I take the lead and he calls some other aircraft's name as leader). No biggie since I normally run with the announcer off.

2. The refresh rate appears to be locked at 60. I much prefer 85, which my monitor does easily at 1600x1200. I don't know how to get the game to play at a different refresh rate with OpenGL. No biggie either.

Comment

Streakeagle -

There is a simple registry tweak that will lock the monitor refresh rate independent of apps or video drivers. Just need to be sure to pick a rate that the monitor can handle. Here's a link to an article explaining how to do it:

Thanks to Maciej for this one: The fix presented below include only editing of windows registry hence no need of running any third party apps of unknown origin.

It was originally posted as a Win2K fix, but I'd bet it works in XP if that happens to be your OS.

And I'm glad to hear some good news about Redline. The only reviews I've found were decidedly negative, and pointed out the lack of synchronization of the announcing. One even indicated GBJ couldn't be turned off, but it sounds like that option is still available in Setup. Might have to go looking for XAR2 soon.

Cheers,

Daiwa

Comment

Since the price has dropped down so low, I fear it will disappear off the market... so I made sure to get it.

The announcers can be set to 0 volume... same as turning them off

Default is for GBJ on loud, RA Hoover at 0.

People doing the reviews just don't know enough about the game. If Redline would get a patch for its minor hiccups, I would say Victory Sims finally made good, though there original early bird customers deserve a free copy to truly make good.

Comment

You're right about the reviewers - I could tell they were *gamers* as opposed to air racing enthusiasts. Your *review* means a lot more.

Hope the refresh rate fix works out.

Cheers,

DE

Comment

Streakeagle -

Mind sharing where you located XAR2 online? I'm having trouble finding it at any price.

Thanks,

Daiwa

Comment

Ebay currently has 5 games listed. Listed for $11.99 plus $4.95 s&h. Sounds like a good deal to me....
                  Brewski

Comment

Go to Froogle and type in Redline Xtreme Air Racing to get a lot of options

Based on those listings I chose to go here:
                    JR.com

Comment

http://www.outpost.com still has XAR-1 for $9.99 (visit the site and search under "air racing").

Amazon.com says they have a few copies of version 2 for two cents cheaper!

Comment

hi!
                        i'm chiara, form Milan (Italy).
                        I need an information:
                        i'd like to better know the extreme air show world: what is behind it, a philosophy, a community, or what else?
                        how many people are involved in it? which kind? young or trasversal target?
                        thank you so much

Comment

hi chiara

Sadly, Xtreme Air Racing appears to have pretty much died out - the fate of aging software.

There is a small group of us working (slowly - volunteers - you get what you pay for ) on developing a pylon racing mod for Targetware (http://www.targetware.net/).

If you are interested in the WWII Mediterranean campaign, you may also want to check out the Target Tobruk mod, being led by a team of Italian developers. Fiats, Macchis, Reggianes - all the planes you never get to see elsewhere.

cheers
                          Low

Comment

Dear XAR fans,

The programmers that developed XAR have formed a new company. We're coming out with a new version that has air racing in Las Vegas area called Thunder over Vegas - Unlimited Air Racing. Should be out this summer. Also have USAF Thunderbirds game coming out. Also have some copies of XAR if anyone is interested. Thanks, Pat Hunt, patrickhunt@cox.net

Comment

Hey - that sounds like good news Pat

Look forward to seeing it
                              73's - Tequila Sunrise

Comment

Is it possible to find this game anymore? I'd like to get a copy but it seems to have vanished from everywhere. I tried ebay, amazon, and all other potential places.
                                Thanks,
                                Will

Comment

Working...
                                X