P-51D "Candy Man".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-51D "Candy Man".

I was just looking at some photos of N6340T duing its ownership by Beck/ Modes, and must admit that for a long time I have been wondering about the origins of the "Candy Man" name and nose- art.

Where the guys friends with Sammy Davis from earlier days, where they mega fans of him, or just fond of the song? Did Davis sponsor the effort, or how did it all come about?

As I never saw this Mustang in its red/ white glory, was it post office red or metallic red? Different photos does give slightly different alternatives.

T J

Re: P-51D "Candy Man".

I remember seeing "Candy Man" at Executive Airport in Sacramento, probably in the 1970's. Race 7.

Comment

Anyone have photo to post of Candy Man?
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
        Anyone have photo to post of Candy Man?
        not my photo
        Attached Files
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
          I was just looking at some photos of N6340T duing its ownership by Beck/ Modes, and must admit that for a long time I have been wondering about the origins of the "Candy Man" name and nose- art.

Where the guys friends with Sammy Davis from earlier days, where they mega fans of him, or just fond of the song? Did Davis sponsor the effort, or how did it all come about?

As I never saw this Mustang in its red/ white glory, was it post office red or metallic red? Different photos does give slightly different alternatives.

T J
          Pretty confident it was just that the name was just after the song...as it was within a year or two of Sammy being on the charts with it. And there was no metallic in the paint...just bright red. One of my all-time favorite paint schemes.

I personally always loved the artwork on the plane, though by today's standards it would probably be grossly un-p.c., and quite honestly is most likely why it was only on the plane in 1974 ('75 and '76 only had the 'name' on the plane). While I know it was never intended as a negative stereotype, it could certainly be interpreted as such.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's an Aero Research photo with "Candy Man" and John Wright's matching "Philippine Mustang".
            Attached Files
            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

my dad took this about 1974 Shawn
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                Here's an Aero Research photo with "Candy Man" and John Wright's matching "Philippine Mustang".
                Man those civilian schemes look so nice - and John Wright's P-51 has always been a favorite of mine...
                Mike

Comment

N6340T -BEFORE- "Candy Man, Race 7"

Chino local, 02 Sept 1973

Previous owner Ernie Beeler MD, flying with Cliff Cummins MD in "Miss Candace" N79111 Race 69

Sledge

Click image for larger version

Name:	05 SFW-new1-C70-14.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	231971
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	04 SFW 2021.2-C70-13.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	231972
                  Last edited by sledge39; 12-15-2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Nice shots, Sledge. This really shows the differences between stock and serious racer. I wonder if any serious testing was ever done with that metal scoop by Frank Sanders. It was somewhat lower profile than the stock unit, and it did go very fast in 1979.
                    Attached Files

Comment

One of the photos I looked at recently was of that very jacket. Noting the Condor patch, is it remote to think that it has belonged to one of the owners? By today's standard probably non- PC, but I am glad that it exist. And if the people behind it meant no malice, in a time when one could get by with malice and more, then I'm all good with it.

I even saw a short film of "Candy Man" on the other site, and it looked like they had a large sign with the artwork in front of the 51 in Reno. Wonder if that survived?

We have several photos of the bird at Chino. Was it based there at the time of Beck/ Modes (Van Nuys Condor boys), or just while with Ernie Beehler?

I have always liked this scheme on a 51. Makes them look really good. And as we see in Lon's photo neither red nor blue does it any injustice.

T J

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
                        One of the photos I looked at recently was of that very jacket. Noting the Condor patch, is it remote to think that it has belonged to one of the owners? By today's standard probably non- PC, but I am glad that it exist. And if the people behind it meant no malice, in a time when one could get by with malice and more, then I'm all good with it.
                        The jacket I posted the pictures of is mine. I painted it several years ago. However, the PRPA and Condor Squadron patches are legitimate, because they came from Jim Modes actual "Candy Man" windbreaker. It was in very poor condition, so I cut out the big "7" on the back panel and framed it and removed the patches....which were repurposed onto the leather jacket.

Comment

Working...
                        X