Tom Dwelle in Flight Journal Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Dwelle in Flight Journal Magazine

Just a note to let anyone who's interested know that I just did an article with Tom on his exploits flying A-1E Skyaiders in Vietnam and in particular, a mission he flew on November 20, 1965 for which he won the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Long before rounding the pylons behind the Rare Bear-like 3350 in Critical Mass (and T-6s Tinkertoy, Yankee Air Pirate), Tom flew behind unmodified 3350s in Skyraiders. The story is in the January/February issue of Flight Journal Magazine - out now.

Cheers.
    Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Re: Tom Dwelle in Flight Journal Magazine

I am on the road adjusting to being a "snowbird" at the moment and have not yet succeeded in getting mail properly forwarded to me..

I've not had a chance to read the article but I've re-subscribed to Flight Journal and Jan's articles are always a good read!.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing here Jan!

As an edit: Tom Dwelle is a fascinating person! I look forward to reading this!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks Wayne.

I have a couple more stories in the same/current issue, including the cover story on a C-17 crew that flew refugees out of Afghanistan during the chaos back in August.

Another story in this issue of interest to folks here is the interview I did with Steve Hinton on flying the world's only original airworthy Fw-190, the Flying Heritage Collection's Fw-190 A5/U3. In the story Steve relates what it's like to fly the airplane, from takeoff to landing and cites the difference between flying the Flugwerk replica Fw-190 POF has and the real thing.

Steve passed along a great quote from Skip about Mustangs at the end of the story.
      Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Thanks Wayne.

I have a couple more stories in the same/current issue, including the cover story on a C-17 crew that flew refugees out of Afghanistan during the chaos back in August.

Another story in this issue of interest to folks here is the interview I did with Steve Hinton on flying the world's only original airworthy Fw-190, the Flying Heritage Collection's Fw-190 A5/U3. In the story Steve relates what it's like to fly the airplane, from takeoff to landing and cites the difference between flying the Flugwerk replica Fw-190 POF has and the real thing.

Steve passed along a great quote from Skip about Mustangs at the end of the story.
        Like I said, your stuff is always good, I'm really happy that I've renewed my subscription to FJ.. I learn so much from reading..

Again, thanks for sharing!!!!!!!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

https://youtu.be/1zzE-QacoxM
          Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
            Bought that can 'o whoop ass and set that shot up... didn't make the show but was a great moment, thanks for digging it up! Where did you find it???
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

It came up on YouTube
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                It came up on YouTube
                Ahh, I think it must have come from Dave de Vos then.. I believe that's my voice in the background egging Tom on...
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OMG ... I haven't thought about the "Race Truck" in years. It was an idle Maintenance truck that we commandeered in Auburn. It was good for T-6 racing. We had to add the trailer when we joined the Unlimiteds.
                  2 months ago, I did a Mississippi river paddle wheeler cruise with Dad and have been used to hanging around with the 84 year old version of Taz. Fun to see the interview of him in his 60 year old "prime". Thanks for posting it. Fwiw, he now drives a Mercedes G Wagon with 650 horsepower. That guy will not slow down.
                  Also, Jan, thanks for the great article. I have heard that story a few times, but didn't actually know that was when he got his DFC. Cheers to all of the historians among us!
                  TJ

Comment

Having the opportunity to both be there and once in a while contribute a bit... Thinking of how we record the sport... guess I'm sort of proud of how this place has helped make that happen.
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by TWD View Post
                      OMG ... I haven't thought about the "Race Truck" in years. It was an idle Maintenance truck that we commandeered in Auburn. It was good for T-6 racing. We had to add the trailer when we joined the Unlimiteds.
                      2 months ago, I did a Mississippi river paddle wheeler cruise with Dad and have been used to hanging around with the 84 year old version of Taz. Fun to see the interview of him in his 60 year old "prime". Thanks for posting it. Fwiw, he now drives a Mercedes G Wagon with 650 horsepower. That guy will not slow down.
                      Also, Jan, thanks for the great article. I have heard that story a few times, but didn't actually know that was when he got his DFC. Cheers to all of the historians among us!
                      TJ
                      There was a magic in the air every year back then! There were still a lot of players in the supermodified stock airframe
                      arena, like Critical Mass. Absolute fan favorites!!

There were so many of us coming in from different angles trying to tell the story of, and promote the sport, a bunch of stuff happened, we had some fun with you guys and made some lifelong brother bonds!

My "gig" at the time was to utilize every avenue I could possibly think of to promote the sport..

Man this video brings back memories!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                      X