Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a pilot required in the Unlimited Category?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a pilot required in the Unlimited Category?

Everything I've heard about the Unlimited Class is that it must be piston engine, propeller driven. Are you required to have a Pilot? Reason I'm asking is.........what about a drone unlimited racer? I know, it's a far out idea, but think of the streamlining one could do to the airframe, along with the lightest weight allowable. What do you think?

Re: Is a pilot required in the Unlimited Category?

Originally posted by supercub View Post
    Everything I've heard about the Unlimited Class is that it must be piston engine, propeller driven. Are you required to have a Pilot? Reason I'm asking is.........what about a drone unlimited racer? I know, it's a far out idea, but think of the streamlining one could do to the airframe, along with the lightest weight allowable. What do you think?
    I think another one of the rules is that the pilot must have an oxygen supply, I guess that would mean a pilot is required.

Comment

I don't think oxygen would hurt a well designed computer -- Isn't there a hard hat requirement too? That will require some thought from the engineers...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
        I don't think oxygen would hurt a well designed computer -- Isn't there a hard hat requirement too? That will require some thought from the engineers...
        When was the last time anyone raced an unlimited without a helmet? Honest question, I'm sure it happened, but it would've been long before I was even aware of the races.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
          When was the last time anyone raced an unlimited without a helmet? Honest question, I'm sure it happened, but it would've been long before I was even aware of the races.
          I believe helmets were first mandated in the Unlimited class in 1984. I think John Crocker was the driving force behind that.

Comment

Seeing you here, along with Neal, BCIV and the rest warms my heart!

Can't tell you how good it makes me feel when I get a connection (on the road) and see you guys including the rest of us in casual conversation about the time!

Simply priceless!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Mac McClain and Lyle neither one of them preferred a helmet both wore headsets. Mac wore a backwards Pennzoil cap or Sanders Trucking hat under their headsets. I gave Lyle one of my Pennzoil caps for a heat race in the early 80s it got blown off on approach when the wind caught the bill, cap gone....
              John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                Mac McClain and Lyle neither one of them preferred a helmet both wore headsets. Mac wore a backwards Pennzoil cap or Sanders Trucking hat under their headsets. I gave Lyle one of my Pennzoil caps for a heat race in the early 80s it got blown off on approach when the wind caught the bill, cap gone....
                Johnny, mah boy......you forgot one. LOL
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X