Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landry-Palmer Corsair #99 Really Gotcha!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landry-Palmer Corsair #99 Really Gotcha!

Hi all,
    While looking at other things I found this:
    Originally posted by Lowell View Post
    Imagine if Pat Palmer (one eye) would have ever gotten his #99 big-engine Corsair built.
    Originally posted by speeddemon View Post
    That airframe sat around in Pat and Jim's hangar for many years after they got out of the T-6 business. Eventually, Jim restored it as "Big Hog". After Jim died in a parachuting accident, the plane got passed around. It was in Europe the last time I heard anything about it. But if you ever looked at it up close, it was the slickest airframe you EVER SAW. I mean it was flush rivited and filled s-m-o-o-t-h. Fastest 'stock' warbird you'll ever see!
    This airframe survives in ostensibly airworthy condition (sadly chained down in a hangar due to a court case, last flown around 2017) here in New Zealand. For the longest time Kiwi enthusiasts thought the clipped wings (still worn today) were in the British Fleet Air Arm style but when I learned they were for a potential Reno campaign I was very intrigued.

What engine was to go into Really Gotcha? A 3350? Can anyone share more of the plans and ideas behind this project?

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	242749Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	242750Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	242751Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	242752
    My photos taken at Hood Aerodrome, Omaka Aerodrome and Wanaka, New Zealand
    Last edited by ZacYates; 11-03-2021, 08:39 PM.
    Zac in NZ

Re: Landry-Palmer Corsair #99 Really Gotcha!

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
    Hi all,
    While looking at other things I found this:

This airframe survives in ostensibly airworthy condition (sadly chained down in a hangar due to a court case, last flown around 2017) here in New Zealand. For the longest time Kiwi enthusiasts thought the clipped wings (still worn today) were in the British Fleet Air Arm style but when I learned they were for a potential Reno campaign I was very intrigued.

What engine was to go into Really Gotcha? A 3350? Can anyone share more of the plans and ideas behind this project?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26307[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26308[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26309[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26310[/ATTACH]
    I wouldn't trust anything that Speeddemon guys says. He can be a real jerk. :-)

I don't think there were any plans other than a souped up R-2800 in it. Here's a shot I took of the Landry/Palmer Corsair in the early '80's up at KPAE, shortly before being assembled as Big Hog.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Landry-Palmer Corsair #99 Really Gotcha!

That's a great shot Big_Jim, thanks for sharing!

I'm keen to hear anything at all about the project - if nothing else it would help flesh out the airframe's history and help explain those wingtips!
      Zac in NZ

Comment

Working...
      X