Photographers...Just a Heads Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographers...Just a Heads Up

As I posted a while back I have decided to sell my Canon gear (going mirrorless at some point). After getting virutally no response from Craiglist (I didn't piece the gear out...I listed it in bulk so I'm sure that put off a lot of folks), I looked into alternatives.

Some of you may be aware of this site... mpb.com. I was suspect at first but after doing some research I decided to give it a try. You log in, build your quote based on each piece of equipment you have (heads up, they don't take some items), give it a rating yourself ("Like New", "Excellent", "Good", etc). and their system automatically builds the quote while you keep adding your gear (or tell you they don't quote on an item).

Once you've listed everything and know the pricing (which I found pretty fair for a reseller), you accept the quote. They immediately send an email containing a FedEx shipping label (they pay shipping and insurance). I boxed it up and sent it off Thursday. It arrived today (in NYC), they inspected and tested everthing, sent me an email saying it passed inspection.

Within two minutes I got another email asking me to provide ACH payment information. So now I'll be watching my account online to make sure there's a deposit...and not a withdrawl! ;-)

But seriously, all things considered, I'm fairly happy with the way this went down. Just a heads up in the event you or anyone you know is in the market for selling gear.

Yeah, I know...but it is what it is. Frankly I got tired of lugging around 40lbs of gear (no doubt the Pelican case adds a few lb's to that total). Time will tell if I made the right move...God knows I've done dumber things!
    Last edited by Air Boss; 10-27-2021, 04:46 PM.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Re: Photographers...Just a Heads Up

I shot the D4 as a loaner from Nikon, the year it was released, I think it was 2012-13 or so.. I was in love. Had to have one. Damn fine camera to this day, though I'd wager there are smaller better bodies out there now.. (I actually prefer the big body cameras)

Shot the hell of of that beast for several years. Have not had it out of the bag since 2019 RENO... Why keep it I ask myself, as do a few others. Answer is, buying it for $6500. when it was new was a shocker, selling it now for $650. if I'm lucky would be even shockier!

My pickup and car are in the same category. Both still do their jobs quite well, and are worth far less in market value than replacement value to me..

My truck, for instance, probably blue books at just over a grand or so.. Drives like new, looks almost new, cost me only lic/reg/ins/gas and it flat tows really well.

I'd be hard pressed to find replacement for less than 20K that would work and look as good as my old Silverado.

My point being, I get how hard is is to part with stuff that you really love, have had much fun with but really can't justify owning any longer. Passing on the joy... I am not quite a hoarder (though I've certainly got enough space now and have brought so much stuff stored in so many places into one place... it might kind of look like I'm further along LOL!!!

I've never gotten rid of a single piece of electronics I've bought over the years... it's all in various boxes and bins that are in my round toit bin!

Good luck with them Owen!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Photographers...Just a Heads Up

Totally understand Wayne. I'm there myself on the vehicle front. I'd put my 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 up against most any other Tahoe with the same age/mileage. Towed new teardrop trailer from CA to NC and back a year ago. 8600 miles, 8 weeks, 13 states...not even a hiccup. Worth way more than KBB says.

That said, camera gear was just too heavy and not worth the effort any longer. I don't shoot much in the Prosumer realm any more...just personal use. Gonna go with mirrorless...less is more!

After several moves I've really trimmed down what I need/want to hang on to. Feels good.

My best to your better half. Hope she is back up to snuff very soon.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
      X