Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Race Collection

I need a new graphics card.

There is an expansion pack coming for the latest version of Microsoft Flight Simulator which is all about the NCAR and includes aircraft in four classes: Biplane (all Pitts), T-6, Jet (all L-39) and Unlimited (all P-51A and D).

Even if you're not a simmer like me, please do yourself a favour and check out this video trailer. I've never seen anything like it in my 20yr in the hobby. The detail is truly incredible.

To anyone concerned the Unlimited are all Mustangs etc, there are innumerable add-on aircraft developers who churn out amazing work as freeware or paid products. I have no doubt other types - even other classes - will be available once this has launched.
    Last edited by ZacYates; 10-19-2021, 04:59 PM.
    Zac in NZ

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Race Collection

Originally posted by ZacYates View Post
    I need a new graphics card.

There is an expansion pack coming for the latest version of Microsoft Flight Simulator which is all about the NCAR and includes aircraft in four classes: Biplane (all Pitts), T-6, Jet (all L-39) and Unlimited (all P-51A and D).

Even if you're not a simmer like me, please do yourself a favour and check out this video trailer. I've never seen anything like it in my 20yr in the hobby. The detail is truly incredible.

To anyone concerned the Unlimited are all Mustangs etc, there are innumerable add-on aircraft developers who churn out amazing work as freeware or paid products. I have no doubt other types - even other classes - will be available once this has launched.
    Frickin' AWESOME! Not a sim guy at all but damn...this is sweet.

A great way to "talk to" the younger generation. Well done, RARA!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
      A great way to "talk to" the younger generation. Well done, RARA!
      The fact last year's "reboot" of the Flight Simulator game is available for Xbox has got to be a good thing for getting kids into it. Some friends have advised me buying an Xbox for this would be a better investment than upgrading my PC...which is built for playing flight sim games!
      Zac in NZ

Comment

This looks great . Bummer that video doesn?t show anything in cockpit. I?m wondering if you can race people online like IRACING? I know driving and iracing on real tracks makes the racing I watch completely different so this would be really awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
          This looks great . Bummer that video doesn?t show anything in cockpit. I?m wondering if you can race people online like IRACING? I know driving and iracing on real tracks makes the racing I watch completely different so this would be really awesome.
          John,

Up to 8 people racing online. Only online racing, no single player against bots.
          Brewski

Comment

Good information here.

Full article: https://twinfinite.net/2021/10/microsoft-flight-simulator-reno-antonov-goty/Recorded from official livestream: https://www.twitch.tv/msfsofficial

incudes in game racing video and updates to Stead. Even see the orange shirts in Section 3.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Brewski; 10-21-2021, 08:54 AM.
            Brewski

Comment

This is very exciting. Since Sport class wasn't included I'll be working to photoshop Race #30's paintscheme onto Strega and Voodoo.

I'm also hoping some of the race teams do some kind of online tournament for people to watch during the off season.

And you can always go buy the version of Microsoft Flight Sim X which lets you race at Reno against bots
              "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Great ideas Thomas! I think I already said on Facebook I really like the idea of flying a One Moment Super Stang!

I have FSX and have spent many nights lately taking different types around the pylons to see what's fastest, just for fun, while I build up to proper racing. So far despite all the WW2 and Korean era aircraft I've "flown" the fastest by far has been...the Pond Racer! Evidently the developer of the add-on has modelled it with bugs ironed out and, man, she GOES! Almost impossible for me to taxi though so I pretend I've been towed and just start on the runway.
                Zac in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by CubersWrist View Post
                  This is very exciting. Since Sport class wasn't included I'll be working to photoshop Race #30's paintscheme onto Strega and Voodoo.

I'm also hoping some of the race teams do some kind of online tournament for people to watch during the off season.

And you can always go buy the version of Microsoft Flight Sim X which lets you race at Reno against bots
                  Young Thomas,
                  GMAX used to offer a free design software and many people have used it for development of Aircraft for FS9 and FSX. I'm not sure if the new Microsoft Flight Simulator will support GMAX but you obviously know the flight dynamics of sport class racers. Perhaps you can build your own.
                  John Slack

Comment

I'm definitely going to start with just skins until I understand how the game modes work. My understanding based on the articles and developer videos, is that you will pick a class to race in, and then they will make you choose an approved airplane that fits into that class. ie no Biplanes racing with the Jets.

I might be able to mod the game so that a P-51 looked like a Legacy but still handled like a P-51...This would fulfill the rules of the game, but the handling wouldn't be accurate...Well it actually might be accurate for Race #30 but it wouldn't be accurate for a stock Legacy...

Anyways I also think this is why there are no Sea Furies or Bearcats. Because in order to keep the racing fun and simple, you want all the planes to be equal. Once you add a Sea Fury, Microsoft would have to make a choice. Do they give the Sea Fury accurate speed and handling characteristics or do they make a shell of a Sea Fury than matches the Mustangs? I think they took the KISS approach and said everyone gets one airplane per class, and call it a day.

But like I said, I'll know more when the game mode is released. If I can get a full Legacy model in there, I'll make it happen. If I can't then renderings like these will have to suffice.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	stihl Dago.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	231839Click image for larger version

Name:	Race30 mustang.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	231840
                    "young" Thomas

Comment

I
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]26245[/ATTACH]
                      I am SO on board with this One Dago Moment, that looks awesome!!
                      Last edited by ZacYates; 10-23-2021, 06:31 PM.
                      Zac in NZ

Comment

Here's a beta* look at the Reno Air Race expansion, featuring a 1v1 P-51D race of eight laps. It looks spectacular! I'm eager to see how ADI, engine management etc comes into play.

*note the missing undercarriage on some Mustangs on the flightline and a couple of funky-looking gauges in the cockpit
                        Zac in NZ

Comment

Brian from team Outlaw flying around.

I've started work on photoshopping Race #30 over the top of Voodoo. Will hopefully have something ready in a week or two
                          "young" Thomas

Comment

A great thread is running at Sim Outhouse (hopefully you can read the forum without being a member). Now that the Reno pack has been released seasoned simmers are getting into it and sharing their thoughts.

Keep an eye out for posts by "bomber12th" - that's John Terrell who is a world-renowned expert on the P-51 family and T-6 and has consulted on previous top-quality P-51 and T-6 addons for Flight Simulator (but had no involvement in this one).

Some of the comments and screenshots in the thread have tempered my enthusiasm somewhat, but my optimistic side is thinking the issues will be addressed.

Brian from team Outlaw flying around.

I've started work on photoshopping Race #30 over the top of Voodoo. Will hopefully have something ready in a week or two
                            Thanks for the link Thomas! And I saw a preview of the One Moment Mustang on Facebook, it's looking awesome!
                            Last edited by ZacYates; 11-20-2021, 07:40 PM.
                            Zac in NZ

Comment

For those that don't fb. I found a guy in Australia that specializes in this kind of thing. And he did an amazing job.
                              "young" Thomas

Comment

Working...
                              X