Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Formula 1 racers in Unlimited racers - Quiz

Originally posted by Tosg View Post
    Others in this Cleveland/Reno group would be Jack Saum and John Thomson, who both raced P-38's in the post war Cleveland races and Cassutts in Formula One later on at Reno.

In the post-war Cleveland Thompson Trophy / Goodyear Trophy group, you would have Tony LeVier, Fish Salmon, Steve Beville, Paul Penrose and Earl Ortman.

Art Chester raced in pre-war Thompson Trophy and post-war Goodyear Trophy races.

Dave Morss raced "Polar Bear", along with seemingly 50% of the F-1's.

Darryl Greenamyer attempted to qualify Dusty Burrow's Shoestring #39 "Hugh Baby" at Reno, but had a fuel system issue that forced him to deadstick out on the dry lakebed. A rescue vehicle then clipped the wing, causing damage that could not be repaired for racing.

John Parker entered both the JP-001 #350 and a Cessna 340 #33 in the Unlimiteds at Reno, but was not allowed to compete.

Bill Stead owned the Smirnoff Bearcat that Mira Slovak won with at Reno 1964, but I can't recall if he ever raced it. He did race #6 "Miss Cosmic Wind" in the 190 c.i. class. He was killed on a 1966 test flight of his newly purchased #39 Deerfly that had won the 190 c.i. race at Reno 1965.

He who shall not be named will not be named here either. Another well known pilot associated with this entity also raced Unlimited and F-1.
    Well done Tosg, that wraps in a lot more of them. No Bill Stead didn't race his Bearcat. He did fly it but never turned pylons in it. He raced "Little Miss Reno" at Reno in 1965 as well as at races in Lancaster, Boulder and Palm Springs.
    Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Has anybody named Dave Morss yet? He raced a zillion Formulas and a surprising number of Unlimiteds.

I'm waiting for the surprise, though...

Neal
      Well you won't be too surprised in this case as he's already been alluded to. Yes, Bruce Lockwood raced "Sitting Duck" too. He subbed for the fella who owned it at the Albuquerque Air Show and Air Races in 1988, finishing 3rd in the Gold race behind Jim Miller in "Pushy Cat" and Jon Sharp in "Aero Magic".

The rest of you know Lockwood best for racing Dago Red... which as has been pointed out was also flown by Ray Cote.

There's more F1/Unlimited crossover than most are aware of.
      Jan

Comment

Well you won't be too surprised in this case as he's already been alluded to. Yes, Bruce Lockwood raced "Sitting Duck" too. He subbed for the fella who owned it at the Albuquerque Air Show and Air Races in 1988, finishing 3rd in the Gold race behind Jim Miller in "Pushy Cat" and Jon Sharp in "Aero Magic".
        Bruce Lockwood also raced #44 at the 1988 "Air/Space America" races at Brown Field, San Diego. That show was unique with separate races held on the first and last weekends of a 10 day event. Bruce took the championship in one of them, possibly both. Skip Holm also flew #44 a few times during this ownership period, but never raced it.

I forgot about Jimmy Leeward in my original post. He got his air racing start by flying one of Denny Sherman's midget racers at a Ft. Wayne, IN event in the late 1950's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tosg View Post
          Bruce Lockwood also raced #44 at the 1988 "Air/Space America" races at Brown Field, San Diego. That show was unique with separate races held on the first and last weekends of a 10 day event. Bruce took the championship in one of them, possibly both. Skip Holm also flew #44 a few times during this ownership period, but never raced it.

I forgot about Jimmy Leeward in my original post. He got his air racing start by flying one of Denny Sherman's midget racers at a Ft. Wayne, IN event in the late 1950's.
          More good stuff. I figured folks here would be able to come up with most of the crossover contingent. While F1 to Unlimited or vice versa is necessarily a natural progression, these two classes have been the backbone in one form or another of air racing. So it's not surprising that racers have gone back and forth a bit between the two over many decades. It's happened more often that one might think.
          Jan

Comment

Holbrook Maslen raced in Judy. Did he get to race the #88 Yak?

EvoDave

Comment

I think Alan Preston flew in at least 3 classes one year?
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

You named the unmentionable name, Bob. In 1986 the guy spent a whole lot of money that he almost certainly didn't have to buy racers for every class. Not only that he bought Gold-winning airplanes in every class. He was a busy boy that year, but did get one Gold and one Silver.

His 5th racer (with another pilot) didn't win either...

Neal
                Last edited by wingman; 10-21-2021, 12:11 AM.

Comment

You named the unmentionable name, Bob. In 1986 the guy spent a whole lot of money that he almost certainly didn't have to buy racers for every class. Not only that he bought Gold-winning airplanes in every class. He was a busy boy that year, but did get one Gold and one Silver.

His 5th racer (with another pilot) didn't win either...

Neal
                  What? You mean 'real estate' wasn't profitable? 'Real estate' was fashionable back in the '80's though.......

Comment

John Parker... JP-350 Unlimited attempted qual, F-1 Wild Turkey & Top Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      What? You mean 'real estate' wasn't profitable? 'Real estate' was fashionable back in the '80's though.......
                      My impression is that the guy's connections were more with the Savings and Loan industry than with physical 'real estate'. I never heard much about physical developments by the guy. He was VERY unpopular in Texas after this period. There were apparently reasons for his relocating to California....

Neal

Comment

Hi -

John Parker qualified in unlimited with his Glasair 3 #300 right before the Sport class began.

EvoDave

Comment

Originally posted by EvoDave View Post
                          Hi -

John Parker qualified in unlimited with his Glasair 3 #300 right before the Sport class began.

EvoDave
                          I'd have to say Parker's Glassair does not fit the description here as it wasn't an Unlimited class racer. It "qualified" at 276 mph in 1995 and 294 mph in 1996 but did *not* race. So it isn't an Unlimited racer.
                          Jan

Comment

Nobody has named "He who shall not be named"...

Neal
                            Because we don't talk about A-L-A-N, you through me off with the "He who shall not be named"... As that what was used to discuss the other "He who shall not be named"... In RareBearLand.

John
                            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                              Because we don't talk about A-L-A-N, you through me off with the "He who shall not be named"... As that what was used to discuss the other "He who shall not be named"... In RareBearLand.

John
                              Some 'He who shall not be named's are more 'shall not be named' than others. LOL

Comment

Reno 1986 Ray Cote prepping for a heat race in Dago Red

Shawn
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X