What comes in an orange bottle?
    Attached Files

Re: A gases question

Sometimes...oxygen. Sometimes...butane. I'm guessing O2

Marc
    aka "BigFoot"

Comment

Would make sense -- that was Sunday morning -- Gold Race day.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
        What comes in an orange bottle?
        I'm going to say that whatever it was, they needed to stick to that formula....since they won that afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          I'm going to say that whatever it was, they needed to stick to that formula....since they won that afternoon.
          Tsunami won the Reno Sunday Gold race in what alternate universe? Ah the treeline in the background, Dallas.
          Last edited by BellCobraIV; 10-14-2021, 04:19 PM.
          John Slack

Comment

That took you a while, John...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              That took you a while, John...

Neal
              The Dallas race is a brutal memory, Ricky was supposed to go however his wife went into labor the day before leaving for Texas. That left me retorquing the heads and changing to race valve springs on Sanders two airplanes and on Rheinschild's two airplanes by myself. Also having to reseal the aftercooler to supercharger mating joint on Georgia Mae and the failure of the starter drive on Miss Fit to the point where I disassembled the starter drive and manually engaged the starter then carefully reassembled the starter drive so the airplane could go home.

The heat was over 100° and the humidity was high as well. Less than a week before I had a kidney stone and was still dehydrated, but I made it through thanks to my friends.

About the only thing I remember is that Tiger had one of his NorthEast magnetos lay down on him during the gold race slowing Strega.
              John Slack

Comment

I have absolutely no memory of seeing you there. I think you must never have come up for air or been seen in public.

I was with Crocker. John arrived at the site late and by the time he got to the rental place there were no more vans available, so he got this enormous Lincoln Town Car for crew and tool transport. That turned out to be a good thing as it was so hot and humid nobody could stay outside for long. That car didn't drive for many miles but it put dozens of hours on the engine and air conditioner. It idled for hours at a time and was essential for crew morale.

It was hot.

Jack and Steve immediately after the Gold -- wondering if they'd won or not. I seem to remember a possible pylon cut or something that confused things for a few minutes. Steve was exhausted. Actually everybody was hot, soaked in sweat, and exhausted. Definitely Not Reno...

Neal
                Attached Files

Comment

It's funny, given my vivid memories of awful conditions, how most of my photographs make the day look lovely.

The Gold Race lineup:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Tiger, in Texas
                    Attached Files

Comment

A ramp scene. This is about when George Baker from Florida came on the racing scene with this beautifully restored Sea Fury. The aircraft has had its ups and downs over the three decades since but in 2021 is in really good hands as "Sawbones".
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X