Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aviation Photography: Air to Air

Default Re: Aviation Photography: Air to Air

What I would do to shoot from the back of the pace plane.

Perhaps that is what the sport and this site needs. More media involvement with the races and the racing itself. An image taken from the pace plane coming down the chute speaks a thousand words. Its not something everyone gets to see. Curtis Noble seems to be the only guy getting any pics from in the planes, and even those are mostly PRS only, or evening photo flights after the racing is done for the day during race week.

Will

2. Default Re: Aviation Photography: Air to Air

You should talk to jet class. I had some friends riding in the Honda pace jet
    And that's a sponsored role for the jets. It makes financial sense to me to try and get the Honda Jet to fly pace for Unlimited silver too. Photographer opportunity and that could be more money straight into the unlimited class.

Pace plane rides have always been scarce. We had a really nice window in T-6 when Steve Dilda was operating Felix as Pace. Steve was very publicity minded and tried to have a media person in the back for most races. The current guy does not much like people in the back when he's working so you don't see much these days. Unlimited has always been harder, and I've never gotten to try it. Steve H likes to have his own guys spotting from the back, though I remember him taking Kerch up for a race one year, just to honor Kerch for what he was. I got some T-6 Pace and practice race rides when I worked for Tegler -- he knew everyone and was well known from Air Comics so he could often get things others could not.

One of the great regrets of my Reno career is that I once missed out on a possible Unlimited Pace ride with Robert A Bob Hoover. Tegler had set it up, I had talked to Bob, and things were set. Then Bob had to Mayday out of a start formation the day before my race, and they found a shop towel or something in the oil tank. Sabotage rumours flowed -- Robert A Bob had been fooling around with somebody's wife and that somebody was really pissed , and etc and etc. I have no idea how all that may have unfolded but my Unlimited Pace flight never happened, and I think Bob used Art Vance's new Mustang for Pace the rest of that Reno...

Here's Dennis shortly after buying what became Race 43. Photo by Birgitta.

Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R05   Wednesday   867 .jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	26162  

My pace plane rides have all been at demo "races" Never had or hoped for the opportunity to actually be there for actual race start, they are, indeed, very rare!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

In general you take opportunity when it presents itself. Bob Jones had a pretty good little sponsorship deal going, and the sponsor wanted some shots with himself in the back seat. So Bob ran around, corraled another T-6 and off we went. I was never real happy with the results -- the light was exceptionally harsh-- but Bob and sponsor were happy, I got paid, and all was well...

Neal

Name:	R83 with Jerry Mc    18.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	26163  
    Last edited by wingman; 10-12-2021 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    I got paid, and all was well...
    LOL... Paid??? What's that!! Don't think I was ever paid for an A2A session, having to pinch myself to actually believe I was doing what I was doing was enough reward

Just as it does with the actual racers, the old saying of how to make a small fortune in Air Racing "start out with a big one" holds true for the folks shooting same!

High end cameras have never been cheap, glass even more so. My $6500. D4 is worth about $650. now, worth FAR more to me and I'd never consider selling it.

Geez was there a better way to pay for them all these years
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Air Race earnings are best described as small and seldom.

I had a business, but it was mainly a tax write-off. I could generally demonstrate earnings to largely cover operating expenses (gas, lodging, film and processing, fees, etc.). But I bought a LOT of equipment over the years and capital expenses could definitely be written off. I got a few bucks off my personal taxes over the years, and Uncle Sugar never complained, and so it went.

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 10-12-2021 at 12:56 PM.

Chino local, 02 Sept 1973, Cliff Cummins N79111 "Race 69".

Photoed from "Planes of Fames" SNJ-5 N3375G flown by Bill Muszala (the rear seat swivels to face aft).
    The red airplane is N6340T owned and flown by Dr. Ernie Beeler ... which later became "Candy Man, Race 7" with Beck and Modes.

"Race 69s" prop blades are three red, one white ...

Sledge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 SFW--2-C69-15.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	240.1 KB 
ID:	26164

Name:	02 SFW-1-C69-19.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	26165

Name:	03 SFW-2021.RWKold-1-C70-16.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	26166

Name:	04 SFW 2021.2-C70-13.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	26167

Name:	SFW-new1-C70-14.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	26172
    Last edited by sledge39; 10-13-2021 at 01:51 PM.

My goodness, those are really something, Sledge. That was quite a day!

Thank you...

Neal

I really hope your stuff gets saved for posterity, Sledge. There is absolutely pricless stuff in those files of yours.

Name:	03 SFW-2021.RWKold-1-C70-16.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	26168  
    Last edited by wingman; 10-12-2021 at 03:08 PM.