Thread: Aviation Photography: Air to Air

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aviation Photography: Air to Air

I posted this somewhere else, I was nervous before my first air to air mission and Sue Petersen (Soopee) said these calming words to me "90% of air to air is being there"

How True!

It is easier in one way because the relative motion is less, it's a lot harder sometimes because of turbulence. I've been attempting to refresh my memory banks by looking at old photos.

I'd totally forgotten that I managed to BS my way into an air to air seat at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends.. I can't find the story filed at the time, but I know I credited the official photographer of the event for including the motley group he did in the back of, as I remember it, a B-25... (photo fanny?) anybody there remember what we were shooting the air to air sessions out of? I'll eventually find the entire folder but here's one.. I can't believe I was there and can only experience the moment by looking at this photo... absolutely no memory of the event whatsoever....

I'm going to dig through my archives. I have sort of held a lot of my stuff in reserve due to the "never previously published" status of photos being important to some publishers... back when it meant a lot, I was pretty well adhered to it and was careful in what I did and did not actually publish.

I never set out to become a good photographer and I do recognize that just "being there" is extremely important! But, not breaking my arm to pat myself on the back.. I think taking what Neal taught me early about basic camera setup, gift of gab (perhaps) that got me to where I got to be to get some of my stuff. Well, I'll dig it out, would love to be able to find the originals!

I'd love to see stuff that others have had the good fortune, or enough $$ or influence to manage the seat

Show me your Air to Air!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WAS_2269.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	26150  
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Default Re: Aviation Photography: Air to Air

Great shot, Wayne. I never had too much trouble with the shooting. The hard part for me was always getting over the "Gee Whiz" realization that I was actually here, in this seat. There's usually a moment of closing my eyes, listening to the sounds, smelling the smells. Then I open my eyes and get to work -- and it's like any other shooting session (except more fun!).

Neal

Name:	Image 101.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	26152  

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Great shot, Wayne. I never had too much trouble with the shooting. The hard part for me was always getting over the "Gee Whiz" realization that I was actually here, in this seat. There's usually a moment of closing my eyes, listening to the sounds, smelling the smells. Then I open my eyes and get to work -- and it's like any other shooting session (except more fun!).

Neal
    Unfortunately, I do not remember that one and most really. I do remember my first warbird ride though. I'd met Gary Thompson, Evergreen Aviation's "Make Me A Museum" guy and he gave me a ride in the tail gunner seat (Gary, unfortunately is no longer with us) you can't legally take off and land from that seat but imagine what it'd look like... (I've got some photo archive digging to do!)

Though not an air to air session, this one was unique. I'd just been in the museum looking at their ME-109, now a half hour later, I'm in the tail gunner position of a B-17 flying over terrain likely much like what a wounded B-17 might see.. (we were pretty low) anyway. I think it was one of the first stories published on aafo.. Darned if I can find it right now.

I'm not 100% sure of the photographer in charge's name at the Gathering... I know it's in the article I found from way back (can't remember if it was online or in my local archive) but he was very generous with photographer seat time in the tail!

Gulp.. name on tip of tongue... it's in the article if I can find it! Gosh I hope I'm not wrong but I remember the last name Slocum...

NEWAY!

I'll have to re read this post to see if I already said this (yes, it's that bad at times)

The biggest memory i have of every air to air, and air to ground real estate/mapping stuff was always DO NOT SCREW THIS UP! I was always keenly of the value of the opportunities I've been presented with and the thought of not getting anything of value is always there.. very much so actually..

Again, your A2A stories!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Looking back in more detail, I can vividly remember being in the back seat with Gene McNeey at OSH Reno Air Race demo.. when he said the "you have a race" thing and pulled up.. My face was in my knees and I did not really know which way was up!

How did you keep it together for that one?
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Looking back in more detail, I can vividly remember being in the back seat with Gene McNeey at OSH Reno Air Race demo.. when he said the "you have a race" thing and pulled up.. My face was in my knees and I did not really know which way was up!
    I've always envied you getting that ride. That is an incredible airplane and Gene is a wonderful pilot. I've known Gene for many years, but never got to fly with him. Do you know where the pictures from that flight are?

I remember my camera hitting my knee on my first pace plane ride. They never tell you when it's going to happen. It's always a surprise.

Neal

Anyone have any air to air shots from when the three tiger cats were in town?

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    I've always envied you getting that ride. That is an incredible airplane and Gene is a wonderful pilot. I've known Gene for many years, but never got to fly with him. Do you know where the pictures from that flight are?

I remember my camera hitting my knee on my first pace plane ride. They never tell you when it's going to happen. It's always a surprise.

Neal
    Jimmy Leeward walked up to me the day before (the osh pace plane session) pointed at me with that BIG Jimmy Leeward smile and said "I want you in the back seat of the pace plane tomorrow"...

I had barely met him prior to that.

He was special!

added by edit: it just occurred to me, at that time, before Facebroke, I might well have had the biggest bucket of ink in the sport.. NOBODY was doing anything. Jimmy was a master showman!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Birgitta never thought it was any big deal -- for her climbing into the back of Felix and strapping herself in was just second nature. She used to hang around when Wayne was scheduled for a Pace Plane ride and if he didn't show she'd hop in. That got her some extra rides, like this one.

Name:	Tunica from Felix-2   919 .jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	26153  
    Last edited by wingman; 10-11-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Not air to air, but this was great fun...

Neal

Name:	_N3N2650  Nikonians.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	349.5 KB 
ID:	26154