Aviation Photography: Air to Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation Photography: Air to Air

I posted this somewhere else, I was nervous before my first air to air mission and Sue Petersen (Soopee) said these calming words to me "90% of air to air is being there"

How True!

It is easier in one way because the relative motion is less, it's a lot harder sometimes because of turbulence. I've been attempting to refresh my memory banks by looking at old photos.

I'd totally forgotten that I managed to BS my way into an air to air seat at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends.. I can't find the story filed at the time, but I know I credited the official photographer of the event for including the motley group he did in the back of, as I remember it, a B-25... (photo fanny?) anybody there remember what we were shooting the air to air sessions out of? I'll eventually find the entire folder but here's one.. I can't believe I was there and can only experience the moment by looking at this photo... absolutely no memory of the event whatsoever....

I'm going to dig through my archives. I have sort of held a lot of my stuff in reserve due to the "never previously published" status of photos being important to some publishers... back when it meant a lot, I was pretty well adhered to it and was careful in what I did and did not actually publish.

I never set out to become a good photographer and I do recognize that just "being there" is extremely important! But, not breaking my arm to pat myself on the back.. I think taking what Neal taught me early about basic camera setup, gift of gab (perhaps) that got me to where I got to be to get some of my stuff. Well, I'll dig it out, would love to be able to find the originals!

I'd love to see stuff that others have had the good fortune, or enough $$ or influence to manage the seat

Show me your Air to Air!

Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Aviation Photography: Air to Air

Great shot, Wayne. I never had too much trouble with the shooting. The hard part for me was always getting over the "Gee Whiz" realization that I was actually here, in this seat. There's usually a moment of closing my eyes, listening to the sounds, smelling the smells. Then I open my eyes and get to work -- and it's like any other shooting session (except more fun!).

Neal
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Great shot, Wayne. I never had too much trouble with the shooting. The hard part for me was always getting over the "Gee Whiz" realization that I was actually here, in this seat. There's usually a moment of closing my eyes, listening to the sounds, smelling the smells. Then I open my eyes and get to work -- and it's like any other shooting session (except more fun!).

Neal
      Unfortunately, I do not remember that one and most really. I do remember my first warbird ride though. I'd met Gary Thompson, Evergreen Aviation's "Make Me A Museum" guy and he gave me a ride in the tail gunner seat (Gary, unfortunately is no longer with us) you can't legally take off and land from that seat but imagine what it'd look like... (I've got some photo archive digging to do!)

Though not an air to air session, this one was unique. I'd just been in the museum looking at their ME-109, now a half hour later, I'm in the tail gunner position of a B-17 flying over terrain likely much like what a wounded B-17 might see.. (we were pretty low) anyway. I think it was one of the first stories published on aafo.. Darned if I can find it right now.

I'm not 100% sure of the photographer in charge's name at the Gathering... I know it's in the article I found from way back (can't remember if it was online or in my local archive) but he was very generous with photographer seat time in the tail!

Gulp.. name on tip of tongue... it's in the article if I can find it! Gosh I hope I'm not wrong but I remember the last name Slocum...

NEWAY!

I'll have to re read this post to see if I already said this (yes, it's that bad at times)

The biggest memory i have of every air to air, and air to ground real estate/mapping stuff was always DO NOT SCREW THIS UP! I was always keenly of the value of the opportunities I've been presented with and the thought of not getting anything of value is always there.. very much so actually..

Again, your A2A stories!!!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Birgitta never thought it was any big deal -- for her climbing into the back of Felix and strapping herself in was just second nature. She used to hang around when Wayne was scheduled for a Pace Plane ride and if he didn't show she'd hop in. That got her some extra rides, like this one.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by wingman; 10-11-2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Looking back in more detail, I can vividly remember being in the back seat with Gene McNeey at OSH Reno Air Race demo.. when he said the "you have a race" thing and pulled up.. My face was in my knees and I did not really know which way was up!

How did you keep it together for that one?
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Not air to air, but this was great fun...

Neal
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
              Looking back in more detail, I can vividly remember being in the back seat with Gene McNeey at OSH Reno Air Race demo.. when he said the "you have a race" thing and pulled up.. My face was in my knees and I did not really know which way was up!
              I've always envied you getting that ride. That is an incredible airplane and Gene is a wonderful pilot. I've known Gene for many years, but never got to fly with him. Do you know where the pictures from that flight are?

I remember my camera hitting my knee on my first pace plane ride. They never tell you when it's going to happen. It's always a surprise.

Neal

Comment

Anyone have any air to air shots from when the three tiger cats were in town?

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                  I've always envied you getting that ride. That is an incredible airplane and Gene is a wonderful pilot. I've known Gene for many years, but never got to fly with him. Do you know where the pictures from that flight are?

I remember my camera hitting my knee on my first pace plane ride. They never tell you when it's going to happen. It's always a surprise.

Neal
                  Jimmy Leeward walked up to me the day before (the osh pace plane session) pointed at me with that BIG Jimmy Leeward smile and said "I want you in the back seat of the pace plane tomorrow"...

I had barely met him prior to that.

He was special!

added by edit: it just occurred to me, at that time, before Facebroke, I might well have had the biggest bucket of ink in the sport.. NOBODY was doing anything. Jimmy was a master showman!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sincerely hope the bucket of ink comment didn't come off the wrong way.. It was just amazing to me that Jimmy was so on top of who needed to be where to promote the sport.
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

What I would do to shoot from the back of the pace plane.

Perhaps that is what the sport and this site needs. More media involvement with the races and the racing itself. An image taken from the pace plane coming down the chute speaks a thousand words. Its not something everyone gets to see. Curtis Noble seems to be the only guy getting any pics from in the planes, and even those are mostly PRS only, or evening photo flights after the racing is done for the day during race week.

Will

Comment

You should talk to jet class. I had some friends riding in the Honda pace jet
                        And that's a sponsored role for the jets. It makes financial sense to me to try and get the Honda Jet to fly pace for Unlimited silver too. Photographer opportunity and that could be more money straight into the unlimited class.
                        "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Pace plane rides have always been scarce. We had a really nice window in T-6 when Steve Dilda was operating Felix as Pace. Steve was very publicity minded and tried to have a media person in the back for most races. The current guy does not much like people in the back when he's working so you don't see much these days. Unlimited has always been harder, and I've never gotten to try it. Steve H likes to have his own guys spotting from the back, though I remember him taking Kerch up for a race one year, just to honor Kerch for what he was. I got some T-6 Pace and practice race rides when I worked for Tegler -- he knew everyone and was well known from Air Comics so he could often get things others could not.

One of the great regrets of my Reno career is that I once missed out on a possible Unlimited Pace ride with Robert A Bob Hoover. Tegler had set it up, I had talked to Bob, and things were set. Then Bob had to Mayday out of a start formation the day before my race, and they found a shop towel or something in the oil tank. Sabotage rumours flowed -- Robert A Bob had been fooling around with somebody's wife and that somebody was really pissed , and etc and etc. I have no idea how all that may have unfolded but my Unlimited Pace flight never happened, and I think Bob used Art Vance's new Mustang for Pace the rest of that Reno...

Here's Dennis shortly after buying what became Race 43. Photo by Birgitta.

Neal
                          Attached Files

Comment

My pace plane rides have all been at demo "races" Never had or hoped for the opportunity to actually be there for actual race start, they are, indeed, very rare!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

In general you take opportunity when it presents itself. Bob Jones had a pretty good little sponsorship deal going, and the sponsor wanted some shots with himself in the back seat. So Bob ran around, corraled another T-6 and off we went. I was never real happy with the results -- the light was exceptionally harsh-- but Bob and sponsor were happy, I got paid, and all was well...

Neal
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by wingman; 10-12-2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X