Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22 years ago, the last flight of the SR-71.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 22 years ago, the last flight of the SR-71.

The only inside info that I have ever heard about the SR was from my uncle that I spoke about in another thread. He was stationed at Elmendorf AFB but went to remote sites in the Aleutian islands. He was a computer programmer. He became good friends with some of the radar operators at some of these sites. The numbers he heard were above 3,000 mph in a climb. For what it's worth? BS?

Comment

Given that air racing is the thing here at AAFO, it's interesting the no one has mentioned the coup Skip managed to pull off n flying Jeannie alongside an SR for a photoshoot that officially "never happened".

J
      Jan

http://www.AirRace.info = http://www.airrace.de

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Given that air racing is the thing here at AAFO, it's interesting the no one has mentioned the coup Skip managed to pull off n flying Jeannie alongside an SR for a photoshoot that officially "never happened".

J
        Good one! That would have been special!
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post

J
          You mean this one? Jeanie being flown by Skip, and 955 being flown by Darryl Greenamyer. Done on the return from Reno '78? I don't know who shot the pics, so I apologize for not giving photo credit.

Will

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140621-955 and Jeanie2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	231785 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140621-955 and Jeanie1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	231784

Comment

I thought we discussed that here recently. Maybe the AAFO collective memory is short. (or maybe it was on WIX).

Anyway, just go to Skip's personal website -- I think the site is still up. He has a wonderful and sometimes hilarious minute by minute account of the whole mission. He even talks about the power levels he ran and how long he ran them. That run was a real testament to the Rolls Royce Merlin and to Dave Zeuschel. I hope the website is still around. Skip has a bunch of F-105 over North Vietnam stories there too.

Skip is a really good writer...

Neal

Comment

Not Darryl and not connected to Reno. I think it was more connected to a planned 3 Km record attempt with Jeannie.

The photos were shot by someone in one of the T-38s Skip was impersonating. The whole flight was a shell game with T-38s and Jeannie changing places and moving around to hide from Palmdale the real nature of the mission.

Only a couple of photos survived. Most were presumably destroyed by Lockheed or the USAF. It all really is a great story.

Told by Skip, though, which should be kept in mind. Skip is a great storyteller, but sometimes...

Neal
              Last edited by wingman; 10-12-2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X