Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally off topic: Just an old man thinkin' "What if" there never was an AAFO.COM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally off topic: Just an old man thinkin' "What if" there never was an AAFO.COM

I'm nervous as hell about getting both knees drained and steroid shots tomorrow so, my mind is pretty active.. I've had this done before but, it completely freaks me out thinking about it!

OK, I'm just releasing nervous energy and doing here what I would not do on Facebook..

First off, I'm not doing this as some sort of "look at what I did" thing.. it just dawned on me..Just an ordinary guy...

About 1996, my wife at the time, needed internet access for work. I hated the idea but we got access. It was not directly connected to the "Internet" it was within a "private" network called "CompuServe" Long story short, we had a computer, I like airplanes, wanted to learn to fly, got into flight simulation, got asked by CompuServe to be a moderator on a forum, very quickly learned to touch type..

So I see this huge hole in the publicity for the Howard Hughes Spruce Goose. I grew up in Nevada, Hughes was a mythical hero, the "hermetically sealed" myth about the Spruce Goose's preservation was always something I just assumed as fact and it made me feel good that such a treasure was so well preserved.

Along comes what happened (got the story somewhere, not gonna dig now) and they break up the Goose and ship it up here in the super wet Pacific Northwest and then, insult to injury, they store it under PLASTIC TARPS...

It was an OUTRAGE and motivated me to scheme a way havng been recently introduced to the OPEN INTERNET..

Crap, I really just bluffed my into the Museum Director's office (by phone) he liked my enthusiasm and I did the features that are still out there I think.

Oddly enough, Gary Thompson and I became friends!

In a subsequent conversation after I'd birthed aafo.com, I told him about an airplane I'd heard about.. this Griffon engined thing being built up in Washington.

I can still hear that man's singsong voice "Oh yea, that's Gary Levitz" I know I've told this story before here... but long story short,

That initial contact with Gary Thompson, led to the contact with Gary Levitz and Bill Rogers, it was very early in the life of the Internet and I created aafo.com

This is a very long winded dissertation but I just wonder.

I was just a day laborer working through "Manpower".. dropped out of school in Reno and headed northwest.

Would up bull$hitting my way into a fork lift operator job, which led to a working manager position with a national corporation and on and on..

What I'm saying is, there was really very little in my background that would have caused me to open this website..

I did it, I had great response, huge doors opened, was able to help in several productions and as publicist for more than one race team..

Pylon1.com was really an offshoot of this site, I love Mark Kallio like a brother (pray for Kim Kallio who is undergoing same cancer treatment only more intense that I went through)

So, if there wasn't an aafo, would there have been a pylon1

I can't really remember but we sort of had the "website wars" where myself, Mark Kalllio and Scott Germain tried to outdoo each other for inside information "scoop"..

Those were the days..

What I'm wracking my brain with is... I had the determination to do something I had no idea how to do then, (can't do it currently either) I just did it. Unless I've had a beer or three, I'm very shy and it was never really easy for me to do what I was ALLOWED to do.

But again, just an old man looking back at a bunch of really amazing experiences, completely in awe that I got to do what I got to do.

Wonder where I'd be if when the wife wanted that computer, I'd have let her have it but lobbied for $$ to make my 914 a track day car?

I LOVE driving fast and I'm good at it..

What if I'd have gone there?

Cool thing about this thread I marked it OFF TOPIC!!

Don't read if you don't like it!

Truly hope no one who reads this takes it wrong and has a negative response!

I'm all about being an old man these days..

It's a funny feeling when you can look back 20 years ago (something I get to do any time I watch that danged Reno 2000 video) and then think forward 20 years and the reality is.. I will probably not be here any longer.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Totally off topic: Just an old man thinkin' "What if" there never was an AAFO.CO

I found Pylon1 before AAFO, so Thank You for spawning that site. You're the last of the breed. Pylon1 and WarbirdAeroPress are long gone. Keep it up!

Comment

Re: Totally off topic: Just an old man thinkin' "What if" there never was an AAFO.CO

These early sites were fascinating to me as prior to them the only way to even see a picture of an air racer was to subscribe to
      a couple obscure print magazines... or track down the rare news stand that had them on the shelf.

Another site I remember from back in the day was warbird.com What ever happened to that?

Comment

Wayne - love it! So glad you did. CompuServe...I was a Gym-Rat with Jeff Wilkins...
        Frontiersman of information technology is one way to describe Columbus' "father of email," Jeff Wilkins. This founder of CompuServe Inc. spoke as part of C...

Founder of CompuServe and billed as...""the father of email""!
        ...every morning in Columbus/Dublin OH. Jeff Founded CompuServe (call it the 1st AOL)...and "email" as we know it.
        Well before he launched CompuServe, I used to listen to his 'connected-vision' every morning as he had to listen to my excitement for the 'Unlimiteds (MissA)' as Sept. neared...in fact we just chatted online last week...about the old days (in Ohio).
        ...wow...then us with Avery...unreal.
        I"m blessed to have taken this ride with you Brother...and so many others : )
        Blessings and Ill be Praying for you. m
        !!!GO AAFO GO!!!
        Last edited by mitchcarley; 10-05-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Well Wayne, what if nobody ever thought to put a 3350 on the nose of a Bearcat? Actually independently Darryl thought of it and Pete Law ran the calculations and said it wouldn't work.

It's here, it's helped spread the word and this site mattered when real racing was racing, and still matters today. Because what you may be lacking in numbers you make up for in quality of posters..... isn't it time we got back to Before it was Rare Bear?
          Last edited by BellCobraIV; 10-05-2021, 05:58 PM.
          John Slack

Comment

Yes -- I'm in. And I wonder what Sledge has from the early years. Has he been around here lately?

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
              isn't it time we got back to Before it was Rare Bear?
              REALLY wish I could'a called your dad last weekend!

Hell, the Bear and its story could take up an entire forum LOL!

I'm TRYING to encourage old Bear crew to check in from FB, we're all buddies, Facebook is just a lot easier for them. I never tried to make this something that was in your face 24/7 never even thought about the depths that Facebook goes and how they turn what they farm from their visitors to make gazillions!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                REALLY wish I could'a called your dad last weekend!

Hell, the Bear and its story could take up an entire forum LOL!

I'm TRYING to encourage old Bear crew to check in from FB, we're all buddies, Facebook is just a lot easier for them. I never tried to make this something that was in your face 24/7 never even thought about the depths that Facebook goes and how they turn what they farm from their visitors to make gazillions!
                Let me start by saying that anytime something as detailed and expansive as Facebook is exists as a free item, you are the product that Facebook is selling. I have never had a Facebook account and don't ever intend to have one. Have not trusted them since day one..... still don't.

Conspiracy theories aside I don't understand how Facebook is easier than the individual websites I log onto as a member, read the current posts, post opinions and answers, log off and leave.

My friends that have Facebook are always telling me they have hours of unrelated junk to scroll through to get what they want.

Yes, Wayne I would love to have called my Dad last weekend also.
                John Slack

Comment

Love Ya John!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                  X