Thoughts on a conversation with Dr. Hisey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on a conversation with Dr. Hisey

I'm really looking forward to Wayne's talk with Dr. Hisey. If I were to offer any advice, I'd say have questions written down beforehand and handy, relax, and don't make it too big a deal. You've done this before and so has Dr. Hisey -- let him talk. He is a very bright and articulate man. I remember a writeup by him of his massive engine failure and off airport landing a few years ago -- it was an excellent look at a potentially catastophic event. The man can write.

I know there will be a lot about the 2021 events, but try to get into some tech stuff too. I'm really curious about the 2021 mods. Pre race chatter talked about wing root fairings, scoop and cooling system changes etc. He was running a scoop from Ridge Runner -- which scoop? There were a couple over the years. Wasn't one tried on Precious Metal a few years back -- is this the same one? I don't think these scoops had provision for an oil cooler -- how was the oil cooled this year? An aero mod that has become popular in recent years is a fatter and reshaped dorsal fin in front of the vertical. Lockwood swore by the version on Dago. Has Miss A been tried with this?

What supercharger gearing did Ricky use on this race motor? Are they running the "long" .420 nose gears? How were the temps when running this motor hard?

Another thing I've long wondered about is how the airplane changed with the rebuild and restoration some years back. The pre-rebuild Miss A was flown and raced by several friends of mine and people I knew (think Lockwood, Hall, Granley, Twombly, Heale etc.) and a consistent comment was that they felt that somehow Miss A flew better than most other Mustangs. Ralph especially thought that some magic was done when the airplane was redone in the 1970s. Whoever did the work rigged everything such that the airplane just flew really well. On the other hand that airframe was heavily used and raced hard for 20 years before Dr Hisey got it (and was bellied in at least once), and so had to be well worn and loosened up. What were the differences between the new restored Miss A and the well used airplane before the incident? I'm sure I can think of more things that would be interesting to explore, but I'm tired of typing...

Neal
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wingman; 09-30-2021, 05:24 PM.

Re: Thoughts on a conversation with Dr. Hisey

Thanks Neal, I always appreciate your sage advice! I've worked with Brent before, he's excellent in interview setting! Also fine writer as well!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
    X