Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Miss A ...what happened ?

Default Miss A ...what happened ?

I am curious as to what the fuss was about in the Friday race.

(what was the reported trouble among/due to the racers)
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

Default Re: Miss A ...what happened ?

They were DQ'ed for high flying.

Again?

A lot of money and effort spent to be afraid of racing.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Moer View Post
    Again? :confused
    No, just once.

They scrubbed the race yesterday due to wind.

The wind was crazy. They had porta-potties blowing around. My son and daughter-in-law?s tent was destroyed, too.

Quote Originally Posted by wadeh View Post
    No, just once.
    Miss A has been DQed twice for high flying, the other was during qualifying. In general, in all classes, they seem to really be enforcing the high flying rule, more than I've ever seen in the past. I felt like they used to give a bit of leniency there, especially when guys were passing one another ... but it doesn't seem that they are giving any grace this year.

This issue is all these DQ's for high flying, especially when sometimes safety dictates a bit of altitude, is only frustrating for these pilots and race teams who sacrifice a lot to be out here flying. It really destroys the spirit of competition when so many race outcomes are decided by the Competition Committee and their decisions on DQ's ...

Perhaps, but the rules have been in place for years. Those calls are not made lightly.
    Last edited by Air Boss; 09-19-2021 at 09:10 PM.
    Chris

According to the announcers, the qualifying DQ was timing related.

That said, I wasn't there when he was qualifying, so I have no idea how he was flying, and I don't have any information from the judges (outside of what the announcers said).

He?s been flying high all week. The thing is, it?s not high enough to do any damage except to his own lap time. He has the speed. He just won?t tighten his line enough to pass Dread. I?ll post all the laps but, it?s almost heart breaking. The plane is there enough to pass. He pulled Dread in from 1 thru 6 but gave everything back in 7-8-9. Doc doesn?t seem to want to push the issue in any way shape or form. At the end of the day though, he did nothing wrong all week besides not fly low enough.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    He just won?t tighten his line enough to pass Dread.
    That's a bit funny. The announcers said that they also called him for a pylon cut in the gold race, but it didn't matter because of the DQ. I do agree with you, though, that he had the speed, but didn't do what was needed to pass. Before the DQ, my assessment was that he was just out flown.

Quote Originally Posted by Fence Sence View Post
    He pulled Dread in from 1 thru 6 but gave everything back in 7-8-9.
    I noticed that Dread was going wings level somewhere around pylon 4 or 5 each time around, pushing him way out.
    Last edited by wadeh; 09-19-2021 at 06:41 PM.

He?s been flying high all week. The thing is, it?s not high enough to do any damage except to his own lap time. He has the speed. He just won?t tighten his line enough to pass Dread. I?ll post all the laps but, it?s almost heart breaking. The plane is there enough to pass. He pulled Dread in from 1 thru 6 but gave everything back in 7-8-9. Doc doesn?t seem to want to push the issue in any way shape or form. At the end of the day though, he did nothing wrong all week besides not fly low enough.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

I was there on Tuesday when he qualified. The timers radio wasn't working properly and she had to be relayed messages from the pilots. Brent called for the clock "the next time around" when he was around pylon 4. The timer didn't get the message till he was around pylon 7. When he passed home pylon, race control announced he would be on the clock the next time around. When Brent passed home pylon again, he pulled off the course. Race control told him his lap was canceled. He asked race control if they wanted him to do another lap, and the timer announced that Brent had a good lap. I heard it with my own ears. So Brent came in and landed. As for today, Brent didn't fly any higher than I've ever seen any other racer fly on the course, and was always outside of Dreadnaught. I don't see how Miss A. cut a pylon and Dreadnaught didn't. Having said that, I'm a fan of both racers and I'm very happy for Joel and the whole Dreadnaught team! There were no mayday's and everyone gets to go home. I just want the races to be called fair for everyone.

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!