Shockwave...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockwave...

Alright, what sport racer bought Shockwave? I've heard from several reliable sources that it was sold. All of those sources said it was a current Sport Class racer who raced this year who bought it. There was supposed to be an announcement made over the weekend about it, but, crickets.

How cool will it be to have Tsunami and Shockwave both sitting on the ramp? (Both are Bruce Bolland designs.) This is a photoshoot that needs to happen.

Will

Re: Shockwave...

I heard this from very reliable sources as well. Foot currently tapping.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

The hints I have are:
      Going to Utah.
      Going to someone with a very fast Lancair
      Going to someone with crazy fabrication skills.

The only people I can think of from Utah that fit those clues are Pete Z, and Mike Patey. I'm not sure that Pete has the $ to take on a project like that, but Mike Patey might. He also has the fabrication skills to make it happen. Oh he also has a turboprop Lancair.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
        Oh he also has a turboprop Lancair.
        It was sold, so he indeed needs some speed in his hangar!

Comment

The hints I have are:
          Going to Utah.

The only people I can think of from Utah that fit those clues are Pete Z, and Mike Patey. I'm not sure that Pete has the $ to take on a project like that, but Mike Patey might. He also has the fabrication skills to make it happen. Oh he also has a turboprop Lancair.

Will
          So if it's the latter, there should be hours and hours of YouTube videos on the build for the next couple years, right?

Comment

For anyone that wants a little more hope that this might happen (no confirmation that it is Patey yet), check out @Shockwave600 on Instagram. One photo, Shockwave on a trailer posted 4 days ago.
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The hints I have are:
              Going to Utah.

Will
              Owner does not live in Utah. Builder assistance does...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                Owner does not live in Utah. Builder assistance does...
                It has been my opinion that the only way that the Unlimited class is ever going to be elevated to its former glory pretty much rested on the backs of Shockwave, Tsunami, American Spirit and even Wildfire! So its rather exciting that someone with some cash has started to work on one of these projects.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                  For anyone that wants a little more hope that this might happen (no confirmation that it is Patey yet), check out @Shockwave600 on Instagram. One photo, Shockwave on a trailer posted 4 days ago.
                  Followed!
                  Zac in NZ

Comment

Does anyone have further info to share about this oh-so-exciting development?
                    Best to all,
                    Jeff

Comment

Nothing new posted on Instagram, for what it's worth.
                      Zac in NZ

Comment

I wouldn't get too excited yet, gentlemen. This project is a long way from a 450 mph lap at Reno. Remember "Red Heat" and its various iterations.

I thought y'all might be interested, though, in some images of "Shockwave" on the racecourse. This is reproduced without permission from the artist -- I don't know how to reach him at this time. It's almost ten years since I spoke with him. This is obviously copyrighted material -- don't betray me and pass these on anywhere...

The artist's name is Miki Matsuda, from Japan. He is a very cool guy who's been doing Japanese style Graphic novels for years. Miki is a huge fan of Air Racing and attended Reno for years. He has a whole series of these publications, with spectacular photographs as well as his graphic art. These Japanese guys have great connections in the Sport and Miki's coverage of Shockwave, as well as things like record attempts over the years etc is absolutely some of the best I've ever seen. The pictures are fascinating -- it's just a shame I can't read the text.

Miki generally loves to share his work. He should still be around in Japan. If anybody's interested enough I'm sure they could track him down and get some of his stuff. It really is quite wonderful.

Neal
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                          I wouldn't get too excited yet, gentlemen. This project is a long way from a 450 mph lap at Reno. Remember "Red Heat" and its various iterations.

I thought y'all might be interested, though, in some images of "Shockwave" on the racecourse. This is reproduced without permission from the artist -- I don't know how to reach him at this time. It's almost ten years since I spoke with him. This is obviously copyrighted material -- don't betray me and pass these on anywhere...

The artist's name is Miki Matsuda, from Japan. He is a very cool guy who's been doing Japanese style Graphic novels for years. Miki is a huge fan of Air Racing and attended Reno for years. He has a whole series of these publications, with spectacular photographs as well as his graphic art. These Japanese guys have great connections in the Sport and Miki's coverage of Shockwave, as well as things like record attempts over the years etc is absolutely some of the best I've ever seen. The pictures are fascinating -- it's just a shame I can't read the text.

Miki generally loves to share his work. He should still be around in Japan. If anybody's interested enough I'm sure they could track him down and get some of his stuff. It really is quite wonderful.

Neal
                          Great stuff! I believe Miki is active on FB for anyone that may be friends with him?
                          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The project website circa 2016 is in the Internet Archive and is well worth a look if you're not familiar with the project. It includes some of Miki's gorgeous work to get the blood pumping.

Thanks for sharing those, Neal!

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                            Remember "Red Heat" and its various iterations.
                            I have some research to do rather than send this thread off topic.
                            Last edited by ZacYates; 11-02-2021, 01:51 PM.
                            Zac in NZ

Comment

You are welcome! I love Miki's work, and it is little seen over here (except maybe on that other place).

If anyone here does communicate with Miki over there on Faceplant please pass on a Hello from Wingman, and my Thanks for what he's done over the years...

Neal
                              Last edited by wingman; 11-02-2021, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X