Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Default Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Weeks like you had can be agonizing -- the light always seems to be great between races and then goes to Hell when the racers come down the chute. It was worse in the days of film and ASA 64. I had a number of races over the years when I didn't get a single usable frame.

And then, sometimes, magic happens. Ya just never know...

Neal
    Hahah, yeah, I've shot air tankers on active fires and had better light than what we had at Reno this year. It was hands down the worst light I've ever shot in, especially on Friday. Saturday and Sunday were fine, but Wed, Thurs and Friday were not good days to be out shooting.

I'd love a cloudy day like your shot. At least there everything is dark, because its dark. Not because its light, but the color of the light is dingy and horrible. I guess the silver lining is the fact that I shot a giant pile of garbage, hands down my worst year shooting reno yet. At least I'm throwing lousy shots with bad light out and not good shots with lousy light making them bad shots.

Hopefully next year will have good light. I've got a couple photo shoots I really want to do if all the pieces fall into place for them to happen.

Will

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0416.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	26084Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	26085

Look, no tube, um, ah, aftercooler.....

F1 Heat 1B

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

A few pics from Sunday

Will

More pictures, please! Will has to have more pylon stuff -- I want some closeups where you can tell if the pilot missed any spots shaving that morning. Is Will the only pylon press person on AAFO? Where's Bill Pearce -- I love his stuff and he must have been there.

No point taking pictures if you don't show them off...

Neal

I think Shawn Aro and I were the only two people with pylon access this year.

Here are a few from Thursday. I've tried converting to black and white, no go. I don't know what to do with these pylon shots.

How about some great shots from a few friends who aren't on here?
    Dave Horn:

Lou Drummond:

I wish both of these guys would find there way over here to share.

Will

You were right about the conditions. I'm going to do it to you again, though -- tell me if you don't want me to do this in the future. I tend to take something like "I don't know what to do with these pylon shots." as a bit of a challenge, for better or worse.

Here's an alternate take on two of the images. I actually quite like the T-6 shot. The P-63 did not fare well at all in that light, but I think something like my version is a quite acceptable record shot, and I wouldn't even hesitate to submit it for publication in a pinch if it was my only shot of the airplane.

Please let me know if you don't like doing this. For the internet I'm a big cropper. Some feel this is somehow cheating (such as Tim Adams) but for me a great image is what you make it. If it looks good in the format (a computer screen in this case) then it is worth seeing.

Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243582809_10228279732165025_7078296568402921365_n.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	26099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	243651737_10228279729564960_6261717050511272370_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	26098  

Will - those shots by "other guys" are all truly wonderful. I've never heard of either of these guys, but I'm hugely impressed. That Spitfire shot is a masterpiece, and so is that first Mustang shot with the ground reflections. Fantastic work - Thanks for posting these -- made my day...

Neal

I don't know how well this will turn out. I fought camera issues all week and by Sunday afternoon my D500 took on a life of its own and laid-over. I was beside myself that I couldn't do anything about it, and then a tip of the hat to my buddy Jarrod Ulrich who suggested that I just needed to forget about the camera and just 'go watch' the Gold race and 'take in' what was most likely my last trip to Reno.

So given all the fun I've had with the cell-phone over the years (right, Neal?), here is the iPhone tribute to the last lap of the Unlimited Championship race from pylon 2.

And Jarrod was right. I'm glad that my last one wasn't 'through a viewfinder'.
    Attached Files Attached Files