Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    Boy, I know Will's gonna mutter about those props on the Parker photographs in my last post. Interestingly enough I never looked at the props when I picked these or downsized them for the web. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never thought much about prop blur -- if it looks like its moving and it's a killer photograph I'm fine with little blur. Hell if I'm doing my job right people will be so blown away by my photograph they'll never notice the prop, right? LOL

I did get a nice landscape (desertscape?) in the spinner, though, in that second shot. Do I get points for that?

Neal
    Neal, I will never give you crap about any of your shots. You've been at this for way longer than I have. I'm still learning. I will always value your opinion. You have a legendary status for shooting Reno. I don't think I'll ever achieve that status. Heck, I can't even get any of my stuff in the damn program. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Those desert reflections are really cool. Is the lack of a full prop disk a bad thing? No, not necessarily. Its clearly spinning, and it wasn't photoshopped in.

Thanks for the recommendation for the camera repair place. Nikon has been pretty quick and I haven't had any issues with them. I sent my D810 in earlier this year and had it back inside 2 weeks. (They said it had been dropped, and I've never dropped it. Eh, whatever they fixed the focus deal on the body and now the pics look better than ever on it. (I used it for my wide angle camera this year.)

As for the races, were they different this year? Yep. Have there been better years in the past? Yep. Have the races ever happened during a global pandemic? Nope. Were there possibly questionable things happening in the Unlimited field? Yep. Can next year be better? Sure. There were a lot of things working against the races this year. Somehow they managed to pull them off. Serious smoke from fires, wind, oh yeah that world wide plague keeping people from racing. Still, there were new people there. New people who were totally blown away by what they saw, in an off year. How is that a bad thing? RARA needed people in the seats, and there were people in the seats. Possibly lots of new people, hopefully people who will come back next year and bring their friends. We actually had a race in the Unlimited class for first place. Is it mired in controversy? Yep, but was still a close race. The Sport class was any one of three pilots race too win or lose, and honestly I was surprised by the outcome. What does that mean? All three will be back next year gunning for the win. There was great racing all the way down the list. The sport heat with all the RVs bunched up together, that was some good racing. Yeah it was slow, but hell, 4 or 5 planes in a frame? Thats some good racing. Who knows, perhaps one of these guys will go "Okay I want to go faster next year" and sell their RV and turn up with something faster. We might see some of the fast guys from the sport class find a way to jump into the Unlimiteds to race with Jeff. Who knows. There were some interesting rumors floating around and only the future will reveal whether or not they were true or not. Heck if even one of the rumors comes true, it will be really cool to be there when the plane makes its debut. Heck, if/when Shockwave shows up, Strega will have something to race against. Add Tsunami in there in a few years and you have two if not 3 fast movers again. There are still people who want to go as fast as they can with what they have. That is what racing is about. You can have an awesome race at 430 mph, just like you can have one at 495. What is the difference? About 60 mph, but there are a lot of people who will say its not just about the speed. Have the races changes since I came back in 2010? Absolutely. Will they change from how they are in the future? Absolutely. Lets have a little optimism.

At some point everyone hangs it up and calls it quits. I, for one, hope to be out there shooting (and improving) till I can't hold the camera, or by some strange twist of fate, find myself flying in them. The Air races are the most amazing motorsport in the world. There is nothing else like it. There is still the possibility of a race like '91. Do things need to change for that to happen? Yep. Can those changes happen? Sure, especially if the class wants them to happen. Heck, look what every other class aside from the Unlimiteds has done for themselves. There is no reason the Unlimiteds can't do the same, if they wanted to (I get the idea that a few of the old guard are quite happy with how things are now, and that is a self defeating problem.)

Was I disappointed that there were no super fast movers this year (again)? Sure, but was there some great racing still? Yes.

Will

In 2016, my first year shooting from the pylons, I was blown away by just being there. It was the coolest thing I'd ever experienced. I had the same feeling in 2017, 18, 19, and yes even this year it was awesome to be out there shooting.

Comment

Another full field (inspite of covid). Close racing all up and down the field. Olivier and Paul are faster than ever (+30 and +20mph). 3 planes fighting for first at 400mph.

Sport class is still in a Golden Age and it?s awesome 😎

http://teamonemoment.com/2019/05/the...f-sport-class/
      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

My air race photography skills are certainly not on par with anyone on this forum...that much I know. I've always regarded this endeavor as something akin to what I understand about panning for gold. A lot of water goes over the edge, a ton of dirt and worthless stuff goes with it...and once in a blue moon I find a little nugget. I've not had my gear inspected and adjusted in several years nor had the lenses calibrated. Something I really need to do if I'm going to hang on to the gear.

Two Canon 5D Mk III's and mostly Sigma Art glass from 12-24 up to 500. Frankly, it's becoming a bit of a pain to lug around. I keep thinking I have one more major photography adventure in me...maybe a return to Kenya and Tanzania for a month long photo safari. But it sure seems like the state of the art, mirrorless gear are really getting to be top shelf in capabilities, build quality, functionality, etc. The FujiFilm X-S10 and X-T4 look pretty nice though they're APS-C. Nikon Z5 is full frame but slow shutter bursts. Still investigating.

If it sounds like I'm strongly considering selling my gear...you'd be correct...though it pains me to say that!

Any of you shutter jockey's out there have an opinion on that? I likely won't be shoot air racing anymore, or any motorsport for that matter, save for perhaps a trip to Indy 500 planned for 2022 or 2023. Otherwise, it's people, landscapes, night shoots, still-lifes, etc. Yeah...guess I'm slowing down a bit. Heavy sigh...

But I digress, slightly.

I dont' mention it often enough on here but I do enjoy all the contributions from everyone. The talent level is awesome and very much appreciated. Huge kudos all around to those who post their work on here and elsewhere to help promote this unique event!

While the event had it's hiccups throughout the week, it was by all accounts a safe week with some very good racing action. I can't be sure but it seems like we had fewer "Mayday" incidents this year than most years...and that's a really good thing! I know RARA is pointing towards 2022. And in fact chatter about years beyond 2022 is bouncing around, which as we all know is a welcome idea since for some time it was always, "We just wanna survive this year and hope we can pull it off next year." This is only anecdotal feedback, but nonetheless encouraging.

STOL has proven to be a great addition. Those guys are fun to be around, inject youthful exuberance, and an awesome fan base. A shot of adrenelin right when it was needed. I'm optimistic about the UNL class for the reasons stated. Some interesting projects on the horizon. Sports have made an incredible leap in tech and speed and have some good competition up and down the speed range. Bips and F1 remain very entertaining and worth getting you keaster out of bed early to watch! When I was working at Home Pylon I absolutely looked forward to the fast movers but I gotta say, having a gaggle of Bip's or F1 guys and gals coming at you while bouncing around in the wind kept your attention! T-6's and Jets are rock solid contributors in every respect. One of the coolest sights ever is the fist turn around Middle One at the start of a T-6 race. Watching a half-dozen big ol' T-6 wings bank over to the left all at one time is a treat for the eyes.

Bottom line: For me, more than any year in the past several I'm ecouraged about the future. For RARA to pull this off in the midst of the Damndemic is a huge feather in their cap and they are to be commended. As you can imagine much went on behind the scenes and while I am not at liberty to discuss in a public forum, suffice to say despite some very difficult circumstances and situations this thing went off on time, safely, and offered some awesome racing and entertaining performances.

On to the ICAS Convention in Vegas in December and then...we start the clock for 2022!
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Well, this year has been my 4th Reno, the first being a media person. I followed Air Racing since I was able to read back in the early 60's. Grew up on the East side (literly) of where the Cleveland Races were held and am a historian of the post war races in Cleveland. Stayed on the spectator side due to walking issues and enjoy talking with the people I meet. Moved from section 1 of the GA bleachers to section H of the reserved bleachers this year due to the downsizing of the GA bleaches there Monday thru Sunday. Had a blast again. Don't agonize over prop blur. Just use a basic Rebel T6i/T7i with Canon "L" lenses. While I favor the F1/Biplane racers, the PW 4360 is one awesome sound. As the STOL racers say, "Race what you brung", I will enjoy each racing class doing the same. Hoping to go to many more races now in my "golden years"

Kenn, from section H of the reserve bleachers. formerly, Kenn from section 1 of the GA bleachers
          Last edited by kennsmithf2g; 10-03-2021, 08:50 AM.
          May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            Boy, I know Will's gonna mutter about those props on the Parker photographs in my last post. Interestingly enough I never looked at the props when I picked these or downsized them for the web. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never thought much about prop blur -- if it looks like its moving and it's a killer photograph I'm fine with little blur. Hell if I'm doing my job right people will be so blown away by my photograph they'll never notice the prop, right? LOL

I did get a nice landscape (desertscape?) in the spinner, though, in that second shot. Do I get points for that?

Neal
            Back when we had monthly NAG meetings that ended up being slide shows until 2AM, we shot for prop stop.
            And in a 'good' photo you could read the decal on the prop blades.
            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Hello Neal,

The old oddball camera that I bought in 2003 finally died at Reno in 2017. I replaced it with a Nikon D500 that I?ve paired with a Tamron 150-600mm lens. I was planning to use the old Sigma 50-500mm, but I found that 15 years of advancement in digital photography exceeded that lens?s capabilities (as far as I was concerned).

The Thunder Mustang was (and is) a neat idea, I just don?t have blind faith in the final product. I was very glad to see Matias stand-down on Saturday?an incredibly windy day that reminded me of Rapid Travel?s last flight. Yes, much changed after Parker?s passing. We never knew it at the time, but he was apparently the glue that keep our large group together. Some now stay away, others have gone on their own, and still others (me) just wander about.

The Sport Class is simply amazing and, to me, brought the excitement in 2021. I?d like the Unlimiteds to regain their former glory, but I think that will require a massive purse, far beyond what we have ever seen in this sport. Remember when an Unlimited would not make the field if it qualified under 325 mph? This year, half the field qualified under 325 mph. I have not given up hope as there are many Gold racers still in racing trim just waiting for another chance, plus a few exciting projects. I?m excited to see what the Sport Class will look like in 2022, because I know it will not disappoint.

A few more...

Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Wow...great stuff W J! Well done!

BTW, I am selling my gear. It's been listed on Craigslist San Diego just now. I can post the link but wasn't sure that was kosher here.

Wayne, let me know if that's doable.

If you or anyone you know is in the market, please IM me and I'll send along the link.
                Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                  Back when we had monthly NAG meetings that ended up being slide shows until 2AM, we shot for prop stop.
                  ha ha 2 AM ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Aro View Post
                    ha ha 2 AM ha ha
                    portrait Miss America

Shawn
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

ha ha 2 AM ha ha
                      my dad has a story were NAG was using a bank office meeting room for the meetings and the silent Alarm went off and the police came for a visit with shot guns during the meetings

Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                        my dad has a story were NAG was using a bank office meeting room for the meetings and the silent Alarm went off and the police came for a visit with shot guns during the meetings

Shawn
                        The bank in Fremont.
                        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Today's installment...

Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Great stuff, Bill -- even if I dislike that particular jet. So that's obviously Senior in the last shot, but it's Junior in the white helmet in the heritage flight? I love that inverted shot. Your photos do often have a sense of "presence" that I quite admire. I don't think I mentioned how much I liked that shot of Dan Vance's Mustang in the previous set -- that's two really wonderful shots of Race 31 in one Reno (I mean yours and Kenn's). I don't think Dan ever checks in here, but he's missing something here.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                              Today's installment...

Sweet! Thanks for capturing the Performers! You know...the folks who put the Bucks in the Bleachers! ;-)
                              Owen Ashurst

Comment

"Nice" Bill...
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X