Reno 2021 photo thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

How slow do you need to go for a full rotor disk on an Osprey? Looks like... 1/20

How about an L39 at 1/30?

F-15s with afterburner? Yeah, I've got that too.

Enjoy,
    Will

Comment

Awesome Pics Will!

Thanks for posting!

Comment

Hey, who parked an F15 in my shot... This was 1/13 hand held... So close, but so far.

Prop disks with prop lightning? Yep got that covered.

(Compression did not do that T6 shot any favors...)

Will

Comment

Pylon 2 is not necessarily the best pylon to shoot from in the mornings. Sometimes it can work really well for planes coming up from pylon 1, giving you some really nice prop lightning. Other times its backlit hell.

Will

Comment

"Backlight Hell"? Backlight can actually be quite interesting -- the shadowless light can actually look very good. I took the liberty of playing with a random Will Pylon 2 shot. A little color correction and a different crop, as well as pulling up the shadows a bit made a different photo. I hope Will does not mind my changing his image...

Neal
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              "Backlight Hell"? Backlight can actually be quite interesting -- the shadowless light can actually look very good. I took the liberty of playing with a random Will Pylon 2 shot. A little color correction and a different crop, as well as pulling up the shadows a bit made a different photo. I hope Will does not mind my changing his image...

Neal
              I don't mind you playing with it, but too me that looks terrible. I tried going that route and came to the same conclusion. It looks washed out, and very very fake. I went the direction I did as it looked closest to natural. Did I push the saturation of the color too far? Yeah most likely. Still, what I see here is different from what I see on the original pic on the computer. Compression does no one any favors. I'd love to find another place to park these besides FB.

Will

Comment

I like the adjusted look myself, I might tone it down a bit but really well done IMHO...

GREAT WORK by the way!! Loving your shots!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

There's a lot of great work here. I've really enjoyed it all. Kennsmth's work here is spectacular too-- I love that shot of Race 31 taking off. Different tastes play a huge role in a thread like this.

I do find the current tastes in this photographic cycle very different from other cycles in the past. A lot of current work (not just here and not just in aviation photography) feels too saturated and often too dark for my tastes. I was educated photographically by old timers like Ansel Adams and such to value shadow detail, control of tonal range and often a certain overall brightness. My interpretation of your T-6 shot, Will, is more or less how I would see the scene in real life ( though I agree it's a little too bright, but not much). I think both interpretations are quite valid -- these are the decisions a photographer makes. I also never make any decisions based on what I see when I first open the image on my computer at home after the event. That's just a starting point in working up what I want the image to look like.

Neal

Comment

There's a lot of great work here. I've really enjoyed it all. Kennsmth's work here is spectacular too-- I love that shot of Race 31 taking off. Different tastes play a huge role in a thread like this.

I do find the current tastes in this photographic cycle very different from other cycles in the past. A lot of current work (not just here and not just in aviation photography) feels too saturated and often too dark for my tastes. I was educated photographically by old timers like Ansel Adams and such to value shadow detail, control of tonal range and often a certain overall brightness. My interpretation of your T-6 shot, Will, is more or less how I would see the scene in real life ( though I agree it's a little too bright, but not much). I think both interpretations are quite valid -- these are the decisions a photographer makes. I also never make any decisions based on what I see when I first open the image on my computer at home after the event. That's just a starting point in working up what I want the image to look like.

Neal
                    The light at Reno this year was really tough to deal with. The two days it wasn't smokey, there were clouds that worked really nicely for a front lit shot, but either caused a huge shadow or were just enough to over darken things with a backlit shot. With many of these shots I'm trying to make something from nothing. Either smoke and no good color, smoke and shade, smoke, haze and glare, (Friday... holy cow. I don't think anything from my afternoon race shots is actually useable.) I do try not to oversaturate colors, but every once in a while, I get carried away. That said, I am using a 100% adobe RGB capable monitor (both my laptop and my desktop screens.) and perhaps what I see on those looks different (possibly way over saturated in some colors) on a SRGB monitor? I am linking from facebook and their compression really screws with the images. What I see there, is not what I see in lightroom as I process the images.

Here is the unedited version of the T6 group. I came back to what I posted because no matter what I did with it, it looked over cooked in one way or another. Brighten the shadows, it got really noisy, bring the exposure overall up, noise and it looked washed out. What I posted was the best I could do with the tools I have. This is straight off the camera aside from lens correction. Is it a little dark? Yep, all attempts to fix it resulted in poor results. When I adjusted the noise out, I lost detail, I added sharpness in to fix that, and got noise.

Comment

Weeks like you had can be agonizing -- the light always seems to be great between races and then goes to Hell when the racers come down the chute. It was worse in the days of film and ASA 64. I had a number of races over the years when I didn't get a single usable frame.

And then, sometimes, magic happens. Ya just never know...

Neal
                      Attached Files

Comment

Weeks like you had can be agonizing -- the light always seems to be great between races and then goes to Hell when the racers come down the chute. It was worse in the days of film and ASA 64. I had a number of races over the years when I didn't get a single usable frame.

And then, sometimes, magic happens. Ya just never know...

Neal
                        Hahah, yeah, I've shot air tankers on active fires and had better light than what we had at Reno this year. It was hands down the worst light I've ever shot in, especially on Friday. Saturday and Sunday were fine, but Wed, Thurs and Friday were not good days to be out shooting.

I'd love a cloudy day like your shot. At least there everything is dark, because its dark. Not because its light, but the color of the light is dingy and horrible. I guess the silver lining is the fact that I shot a giant pile of garbage, hands down my worst year shooting reno yet. At least I'm throwing lousy shots with bad light out and not good shots with lousy light making them bad shots.

Hopefully next year will have good light. I've got a couple photo shoots I really want to do if all the pieces fall into place for them to happen.

Will

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	231716Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	231717

Look, no tube, um, ah, aftercooler.....

Comment

F1 Heat 1B

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

A few pics from Sunday

Will

Comment

More pictures, please! Will has to have more pylon stuff -- I want some closeups where you can tell if the pilot missed any spots shaving that morning. Is Will the only pylon press person on AAFO? Where's Bill Pearce -- I love his stuff and he must have been there.

No point taking pictures if you don't show them off...

Neal

Comment

Working...
                                X