Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    Once you master the prop blur, then you have to chase the prop disk, and with it, the prop lightning. A full disk on Dreadnought is about 1/60. A fully prepped Mustang, about 1/80th. The small engines aren't too bad, you can get disks about 1/160 or so on most of those. The key is practice. Lots and lots of practice. Camera setup helps to a degree, but practice is what gets the results.

I got some disks this year. Not a whole lot as I was very out of practice. I can't wait to see what I actually got on the camera with the big lens. (A bunch of us were screwing around trying to get a full disk on the Osprey. I think it was possible at 1/20 sec. I might have one... maybe.)

Will
    After seeing a few of my shots with prop blur, my first thought is that it would be better if it were a disk. Thanks for the reference shutter speeds. That will give me something to practice.

Regarding camera setup, the biggest simple thing that I found is that the lens stabilization needs to be turned off. It severely interferes with panning when following an aircraft, especially with a slow shutter speed.

I don't have a setup optimized for this.

I am using a cheap 50mm-250mm lens that I bought for less than $300. I retired last year and moved from the Seattle area, to the east side of the Cascades. We have 40 acres of mostly prairie grassland and get a wide array of birds, including many different kinds of raptors hunting on the property.

I'm thinking about getting a lens well suited for birds in flight that I'd also bring to Reno.

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Call me a purist but I am offended by Photoshopped prop blur.
    Am I being a dinosaur not accepting that you can make a photo better with PS...
    Not at all!

I agree with you 100%.

Comment

Purge the left wing tank of spray bar water

Microknots

Nicholas the intern trying out the simulator. I think he's hooked
      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Jet Silver. Oh darn......no prop blur
        May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

A bunch of us were screwing around trying to get a full disk on the Osprey. I think it was possible at 1/20 sec. I might have one... maybe.) Will
          Will,

Funny you mentioned that. I tried it as well, the rotors definitely rotate a lot slower. 1/20 may be the mark, but no way I could hold the camera steady for that slow speed.

I shot at 1/250, then thought try for blur, 1/80, 1/60 and 1/30

All the 1/30 got deleted, rotor blur was a tad bit better than 1/60. Only one 1/60 survived my deletions.

Wade mentioned he turned his VR off, I have mine on, what do you do?

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-26-2021, 07:14 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

[QUOTE=CubersWrist;[/QUOTE]

Thats where you guys were hiding, I keep looking for you in the pits.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by wadeh View Post
              After seeing a few of my shots with prop blur, my first thought is that it would be better if it were a disk. Thanks for the reference shutter speeds. That will give me something to practice.

Regarding camera setup, the biggest simple thing that I found is that the lens stabilization needs to be turned off. It severely interferes with panning when following an aircraft, especially with a slow shutter speed.

I am using a cheap 50mm-250mm lens that I bought for less than $300. I retired last year and moved from the Seattle area, to the east side of the Cascades. We have 40 acres of mostly prairie grassland and get a wide array of birds, including many different kinds of raptors hunting on the property.

I'm thinking about getting a lens well suited for birds in flight that I'd also bring to Reno.

Not at all!

I agree with you 100%.
              L

Born and raised in Seattle. Family history is from Cle Elum. Still own property there. You in Kittitas County? God's Country.
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I really like the challenge, and chasing the blur you also have to consider prop rpm. Like trying to pickoff a rabbit at full stride with a 22. The parameters always change. I'll never be as good as these young guys, I just do it for myself and the fun of it.

1/60

1/100

1/160

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-25-2021, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Not at all!

I agree with you 100%.
                  I ALWAYS use image stabilization. Canon and Sony might have issues with it but Nikons works quite well when panning. It might not make that big of a difference at 1/160 and above, with a shorter focal length, but for my 200-500, at sub 1/100 shutter speeds, yeah it makes a BIG difference, especially at 500mm. I was able to shoot some 1/40 stuff with my non stabilized 35-70, but they were taxiing past and not moving that fast.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                    I really like the challenge, and chasing the blur you also have to consider prop rpm. Like trying to pickoff a rabbit at full stride with a 22. The parameters always change. I'll never be as good as these young guys, I just do it for myself and the fun of it.

1/60

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26069[/ATTACH]

1/100

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26070[/ATTACH]

1/160

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26071[/ATTACH]
                    Your 1/100 shot looks good to me. Nice prop lightning on Dreadnought as well. Your shot of Goldfinger is perfect.

That really does show how slow that prop on dreadnought is turning at race speed.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                      L

Born and raised in Seattle. Family history is from Cle Elum. Still own property there. You in Kittitas County? God's Country.
                      I was born in Seattle and have been in the area for most of my life.

My dad flew for Cascade Airways from the day they started, until they were done (it was co-founded by my dad's cousin). When they closed the Seattle base, I lived in Walla Walla for my high school years. I spent a year in Phoenix and a few years in Dallas, but ended up back in the Seattle area for the last 25 years.

I retired last summer and we moved to Ellensburg. We're north of town, very near the edge of the Wenatchee National Forest, and love it here.

Comment

I was born in Seattle and have been in the area for most of my life.

My dad flew for Cascade Airways from the day they started, until they were done (it was co-founded by my dad's cousin). When they closed the Seattle base, I lived in Walla Walla for my high school years. I spent a year in Phoenix and a few years in Dallas, but ended up back in the Seattle area for the last 25 years.

I retired last summer and we moved to Ellensburg. We're north of town, very near the edge of the Wenatchee National Forest, and love it here.
                        That's beautiful territory. Reecer Creek, Lion Rock, Blewett Pass...spent many a' nights camping in Wenatchee NF and further north in the Okanogan Territory. Enjoy!
                        Owen Ashurst
                        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

From Heat 2A

Comment

Heat 2A

Comment

Silver Race

Comment

Bronze race

Comment

Working...
                                X