Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Default Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Great shot, Will. Sam's running pretty low there so Kenn just might have one of those US flag/home pylon shots, too.

Hey Sam -- How was your week? You put down some good speeds -- standing down on Sunday must have been hard.

Neal

I've got a few more of Race 3 before the start of the race.

Will

Neal, feel free to post whatever you want about Rapid Travel. Happy to see some good pics. The screaming wind on Saturday just reminded me of the day it crashed. Same place, same time of day, same time of year, same wind direction and gusts, etc... I thought of it all after Matias had stood down and thinking what a good decision that was. Still amazed the George walked away.

Wayne, Glad you liked it. I'll see if I can post the unaltered, from-the-camera original tonight. Might be fun to see.

Will, Very nice bipe pylon capture. To me, excellent choice of the wide-angle on the runway, they look great.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

For academic purposes, linked below is _WJP1500.jpg (11 MB), the Dreadnought photo Wayne singled out. This is the image as it came from the camera, which was actually quite soft. So, Photoshop saved this one. I think what I did was crop, resize, kick up the contrast a little, adjust the blue channel level to add a little blue, add a little saturation to make the red pop a bit, and then sharpen.

EXIF data:
    Date/Time: 19-Sep-2021 15:13:12
    Make: Nikon
    Model: NIKON D500
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 460 mm (690 mm equivalent because of the crop factor)
    Exposure Time: 1/500 sec
    Aperture: f/9
    ISO Equivalent: 180
    Exposure Bias: 0.67
    White Balance: 0
    Metering Mode: multi spot (3)
    JPEG Quality: (6)
    Exposure Program: manual (1)

Original: 5568 ? 3712 @ 300 ppi 11 MB image file:
    https://oldmachinepress.files.wordpr...10/wjp1500.jpg
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Quote Originally Posted by W J Pearce View Post
    For academic purposes, linked below is _WJP1500.jpg (11 MB), the Dreadnought photo Wayne singled out. This is the image as it came from the camera, which was actually quite soft. So, Photoshop saved this one. I think what I did was crop, resize, kick up the contrast a little, adjust the blue channel level to add a little blue, add a little saturation to make the red pop a bit, and then sharpen.

EXIF data:
    Date/Time: 19-Sep-2021 15:13:12
    Make: Nikon
    Model: NIKON D500
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 460 mm (690 mm equivalent because of the crop factor)
    Exposure Time: 1/500 sec
    Aperture: f/9
    ISO Equivalent: 180
    Exposure Bias: 0.67
    White Balance: 0
    Metering Mode: multi spot (3)
    JPEG Quality: (6)
    Exposure Program: manual (1)

Original: 5568 ? 3712 @ 300 ppi 11 MB image file:
    https://oldmachinepress.files.wordpr...10/wjp1500.jpg
    (nervously looks around...) No officence, but had that been my shot I wouldn't have even tried. That would have had a one way ticket to the trash. Apparently I need to reassess my idea of a bad shot. Don't worry I'm not in any way knocking your pic, more like knocking my out of control expectations of what a printable shot should look like.

Nice work in post to bring that pic back. Way beyond my abilities. Time to go reassess my idea of a "good" shot. hahaha.

Will

Will -- This illustrates something I was saying earlier. That photograph in this thread looked absolutely spectacular to me, and I learned from it. To me it does not matter at all how the image looks when I first pull it off the card. If it's obviously blown out it goes. If it's perfect it's obvious. There's a huge range in between. I've always had issues with steadiness. Conditions even on the ramp can be brutal with wind and blinding light. There's often heat haze, and sometimes smoke. I make a lot of mistakes. Not every shot is going to be perfect but many that are not at all perfect are very usable and more so in a case like this where an image is so unique.

Generally nobody ever sees my original captures. I have lots of images that have been shown to acclaim on web sites and slide shows that I'd never ever try to print and sell that way. Some stuff is fine in magazine work but not gallery quality at all.

If it works on a web page and people learn from it and enjoy it it's a great image in my book. It matters not all if it won't print at 16x20.

Another point that's pretty obvious is presentation. Bill is a master of presentation -- cropping, tone control etc. Kenn is really good too. For the web don't hesitate to crop.

Sorry if I sound preachy here -- but I love Bill's photo. It would have been a loss to all of us if he'd rejected it in his cull.

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 10-08-2021 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RAD2LTR View Post
    (nervously looks around...) No officence, but had that been my shot I wouldn't have even tried. That would have had a one way ticket to the trash. Apparently I need to reassess my idea of a bad shot. Don't worry I'm not in any way knocking your pic, more like knocking my out of control expectations of what a printable shot should look like.

Nice work in post to bring that pic back. Way beyond my abilities. Time to go reassess my idea of a "good" shot. hahaha.

Will
    Not offended. I know exactly what you mean. It is also a matter of perspective... I'm not worried about printing. The computer screen is so much more forgiving, so something that would not work in print looks great. I liked the composure in that shot, and it looked fine on the screen, so I did the normal things and it worked out just fine. I was surprised at how rough it was at 100% when I looked at it today.

By contrast, this one looks all right to me at 100% (not that I would want it at 100%). However, I was not moved by the shot, so I never tired anything.
    10 MB: https://oldmachinepress.files.wordpr...10/wjp0152.jpg
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Great illustration of my point, Bill.

I'm actually not aguing against perfectionism here, either. Tim Adams is a wonderful photographer, and apparently never shows anything that's not perfect. I admire that, especially since his stuff is so good. I'm just not nearly a good enough shooter to survive as a perfectionist. I need to be pragmatic and flexible in how I do stuff to have enough usable stuff to show off (or sell, or get published etc.).

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 10-08-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Bill is a master of presentation

Neal
    Easy there, Neal. As I understand it, the next level up in air race photography is the iPhone. In all seriousness, thank you!
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

You're welcome, I guess. It's true, though. A large part of your images' success for me is just that -- the presentation. Look at the Thunderbirds set. The cropping and the subject placement in each image just works. ( and I don't even like the Thunderbirds). I have no idea if you think about it much (I think about it all the time in post processing time) but what you are doing works. Means nothing about the future, though. We all have followed great years with a year of tripping on our cape constantly for ten days.

And remember the blind squirrel...

Neal
    Last edited by wingman; 10-09-2021 at 12:01 AM.