Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
    I like that one Will. Sorry Sam. As I eluded to earlier, I was in a foul-ish mood and I mostly stayed in my secret hideout. I'm not proud to admit it, but I only shot Sport and Unlimited Gold on Sunday. Eleven months to get my act together...

Stunning, simply stunning. I keep coming back to this one. Thank you for sharing this one.

Comment

Some images from F1 Silver race

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

a couple more F1 Silver

Comment

Tom Marden in #23 vs Dave Holmgren in #76 in the 2021 Biplane Silver race

Comment

Launch of the 2021 Biplane Heat 3A race

Comment

Tommy Suell in #25 "Shake N Bake" edging out Sam Swift in #3 "Smokin' Hot" for 3rd place in the 2021 Biplane Heat 3A race

Comment

I'm slowly getting pics done. Still finding some good stuff randomly littered through my epic amounts of garbage.

Will

Comment

Those are spectacular Will! They especially look good if you right click and open them in another tab, they display full size, really REALLY nice work!!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Seconded, beautiful work!
                    Zac in NZ

Comment

I agree -- these are all great work. I really love the statics of Race 30.

If you just showed the work we've seen here on AAFO, and didn't talk about your "garbage" we'd all be thinking you had a spectacular year.

You know -- I know you had crappy weather to deal with, possible or even likely equipment issues, and a huge desire to shoot at unrealistically slow shutter speeds, but I still think your biggest issue is unrealistic expectations. I had to accept quite early on that Reno for me was a low percentage deal. There are so many variables, so many distractions, and so much that can go wrong that I, at least, always ended up throwing away far more than I kept. It's just the nature of the game at an event like this. I never cared at all how many frames I threw away -- I never even thought about them again. What mattered was the good stuff that I did show, or submit for publication or whatever.

I always had lots of good stuff, and so do you.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                        I agree -- these are all great work. I really love the statics of Race 30.

If you just showed the work we've seen here on AAFO, and didn't talk about your "garbage" we'd all be thinking you had a spectacular year.

You know -- I know you had crappy weather to deal with, possible or even likely equipment issues, and a huge desire to shoot at unrealistically slow shutter speeds, but I still think your biggest issue is unrealistic expectations. I had to accept quite early on that Reno for me was a low percentage deal. There are so many variables, so many distractions, and so much that can go wrong that I, at least, always ended up throwing away far more than I kept. It's just the nature of the game at an event like this. I never cared at all how many frames I threw away -- I never even thought about them again. What mattered was the good stuff that I did show, or submit for publication or whatever.

I always had lots of good stuff, and so do you.

Neal
                        Neal,
                        I'm really happy with my static stuff. That ramp shoot with One Moment on Saturday was nothing but good stuff. The stuff from Sunday afternoon with Sweet N Lovely was also awesome.

The stuff from the pylons is still a mystery as to what happened. Yes, I know I'm going to be tossing stuff out that I simply didn't shoot well. Its something that everyone who shoots out there must accept. My shutter speeds aren't unrealistic. I've shot the same or slower in years past and never shot as much total garbage as I did this year. In years past there were some that were a little soft, but not too bad. This year its very black and white, its either awesome or really bad. The really bad being the normal for this year. Yes I have some stuff that is good, but its only because I shot everything I could possibly shoot.

I think I do have an issue with the D850 body. I've shot the 200-500 on both the D600 and D810 bodies the past couple weeks for a friends son's soccer games at night. I've been shooting the same shutter speeds as I did at Reno for a much less predictable target and I might have 50 out of focus shots (I've been shooting 200+ per game) total. I think I still might send the lens in if I can find a box big enough to house it. The D850 will be going off to Nikon so they can figure out what is wonky on it.

Will

Comment

From the Biplane Silver Race

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                            Neal,

I think I do have an issue with the D850 body. I've shot the 200-500 on both the D600 and D810 bodies the past couple weeks for a friends son's soccer games at night. I've been shooting the same shutter speeds as I did at Reno for a much less predictable target and I might have 50 out of focus shots (I've been shooting 200+ per game) total. I think I still might send the lens in if I can find a box big enough to house it. The D850 will be going off to Nikon so they can figure out what is wonky on it.

Will
                            Good luck tracking this stuff down! There are an awful lot of moving parts with this equipment these days. Trouble shooting this stuff is like trying to work out electrical issues in cars -- a lot of tail chasing til somehow it all falls into place...

Neal

Comment

Will, you don't have any excuses necessary for your work!

IMHO, on the pylons, you do your absolute best to control breathing, nerves.. wind blowing big lenses around...then you toss the crap and cherish the good.. NO excuses are ever needed.. and your work is fabulous period!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Alan Hoover turning a tight knife-edge pylon turn trying to shave off micro-seconds to try to get around Jeffrey Lo in Saturday's 2021 Silver Biplane race

Last edited by kennsmithf2g; 11-13-2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X