Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Default Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Those back pylons during PRSs were great fun (the movie shoot was with PRS that year). My avatar was shot from Pylon 5 the summer Steve first got to fly Strega on the course at Reno. A great situation for somebody like me. I'm a more methodical shooter than you, I think. I like to have time to look and think and see and choose how I want to approach a situation. I also like to get a lot of chances because I screw this stuff up a lot. PRS used to mean lots of laps at reasonable speeds, and Steve gave me a lot of good chances. My stuff from when Dan brought Dago is really good too. I've always been shaky at best and can use any edge I can get. Dago at 325 mph works better with my skill set than Dago at 480 mph. Pylon 5 is much more useful when they're low and slow in the summer than on real race days when they're running higher and running at Jihad power.

Neal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_JUL7101.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	26123  

I wish I could remember exactly where I was, I bet if I looked at a topo map I could figure it out. I was on a ridge, somewhere out in the Pylon 3-4 area.. I'd wager that ridge is pretty easy to find, an amazing place to shoot from and watch what's going on.. (I wish)

Those were fun times
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

I could never figure out why I was the only one I knew who really loved Pylon 5. I thought it was great...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_JUL7122 copy.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	26124  

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    I could never figure out why I was the only one I knew who really loved Pylon 5. I thought it was great...
    Pylon 5 is awesome! The light is good all day long, you have a choice of backgrounds, and you can chose between an inbound and an outbound shot. I'll take P5 every time.

Will

Well, I guess that makes two of us.

Neal

Hello Neal,

I know what you mean, I like the smokey one better too. People like what they like. Some like blue skies, others like grey. Some like prop blur, others frozen. Some like wide-angle, others tele. Some like RAW, others jpg. Some like Nikon, others like Canon, and Brad likes iPhones. Some like a scantily clad female in front of the machine, others like a sunset behind. And many fall in between.

I always find it interesting the different shots people make on the same subject. Many years ago, Steve Edmundson and I walked down to the statics. We both took photos, sometimes standing right next to each other. Back at "Base," I thought all mine were junk. Utterly uninspiring and they did not tell any story at all. Later, I looked over Steve's shoulder as he reviewed his photos on his laptop. "WTF" was my reaction. I was right next to him and wasted electrons, while his photos of the same subject took you in and told a story.

Today's installment...

Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Owen will like these...

I've never been able to figure out whether that's a dumb looking airplane or a dumb looking helicopter. Nice shots of the Thunderbirds. It's always nice to see some because I hardly have any. I think I've shot the TBirds and Blue angels three or four times at most since they left the T-38s and Scooters behind. Too loud, and too much announcer. I'd always head back to the IF1 hangar when the time came. I'd just find a quiet corner and try to take a nap.
    I liked them a lot back in the T-38 days but more recently I've just wnted to hide. They put butts in the seats so I was glad they were there, but...

You really are good at this.

Neal

Bill,
    Neal is right! These are awesome. Well done, sir. Thanks for showing some love for the "show" side of the house.!

Every year I put together a calendar for the ICAS convention held in Vegas in Dec. I distribute them to promote my air boss business during the exhibition hall sessions.

While I am happy with the images I'm using this year, I wished I'd have solicited for images on here! I just wasn't thinking.

Keep that in mind for next year, fellas!

Terrific work! Thanks again.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Will

I really like that hangar set. That first shot is really nicely seen and shot.

Neal