Reno 2021 photo thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Randomness.
      Attached Files

Comment

These are very nice indeed. I found myself just sitting and looking at the first one for a while. I like it dark -- fits the mood. I'm not sure I would have had the nerve to present it so dark but boy does it work here.

The last one is an instance where the prop disk really works -- I think because it's so clearly lit, and you had the blessed gift of yellow prop tips, LOL, and so contrasty to the blurred background. I wish I had ever had your physical skills as well as the obvious photographic skills. I was always too shaky to do much of this with success.

Randomness works. Hope to see more...

Neal
        Last edited by wingman; 10-16-2021, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams View Post
          Randomness.
          Nice work, missed seeing you this year!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            These are very nice indeed. I found myself just sitting and looking at the first one for a while. I like it dark -- fits the mood. I'm not sure I would have had the nerve to present it so dark but boy does it work here.

The last one is an instance where the prop disk really works -- I think because it's so clearly lit, and you had the blessed gift of yellow prop tips, LOL, and so contrasty to the blurred background. I wish I had ever had your physical skills as well as the obvious photographic skills. I was always too shaky to do much of this with success.

Randomness works. Hope to see more...

Neal
            It's dark because the sun is not risen yet.

Comment

I assumed that -- though I actually figured it for after sunset. It's a great presentation of what the light was like. The little highlights are great. Technically perfect -- all the tones are there which is hard to do in that light. It's a very cool photograph, and perfectly framed. Do you do any cropping these days?

Neal

Comment

I assumed that -- though I actually figured it for after sunset. It's a great presentation of what the light was like. The little highlights are great. Technically perfect -- all the tones are there which is hard to do in that light. It's a very cool photograph, and perfectly framed. Do you do any cropping these days?

Neal
                Crop? What? Blasphemy. Only occasionally to level something, or maybe a car shot where I just don't have another, and something in the background just needs to disappear.

Comment

That's f**king depressing -- I can't live without cropping...

You're about the only person I know who doesn't crop Reno stuff when needed, though. There's a reason for that.

Neal

Comment

That's f**king depressing -- I can't live without cropping...

You're about the only person I know who doesn't crop Reno stuff when needed, though. There's a reason for that.

Neal
                    Don't need to crop when your hauling around the 500. The Man O' War is 500mm at 1/40.

Comment

Tim,
                      Great to see you back here. Thanks for posting. Great stuff as always.

Neal, I hate cropping my stuff. Makes me feel like I'm cheating or something. I'd so much rather fill the frame using a big lens.

Will

Comment

Question for the photographers out here...

I see a lot of discussion about shutter speeds, lenses, and the like but but not too much about ISO and mode.

All things being equal (lighting, class of aircraft, etc) what you guys shooting in? Assume shutter priority for the prop a/c?

Do you adjust ISO at all? If so, is it by class, by lighting, by...?

Inquiring minds want to know...asking for a friend.
                        Owen Ashurst
                        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post

I see a lot of discussion about shutter speeds, lenses, and the like but but not too much about ISO and mode.

All things being equal (lighting, class of aircraft, etc) what you guys shooting in? Assume shutter priority for the prop a/c?

ISO goes with shutter speed. The lower the shutter speed, the more light, you have a choice, up the F stop, and run into diffraction, or drop the ISO. I usually shoot either ISO32 or 64 typically. If you are pushing the shutter speed up, let it ride till you need to bump the ISO due to leaving the sharp spot (usually around F8) . I shoot shutter priority. If you are lucky enough to have a really fast lens, you can use an ND filter to control the light. Fast lenses are their own beast since they are all about lots of light, and when you have too much, you end up bottom the ISO and shooting high F stops where you run into diffraction, so you need a mild ND filter.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post

D850 ISO 64, D500 ISO 100, until it gets so dark I just can't get the shot and need to raise the ISO.

Comment

Shot a lot of taxi shots at 1/20th this year, after all it is only wasted pixels.
                              Attached Files

Comment

For me whatever ISO gives me a fast enough shutter speed to give me a reasonable percentage of sharp shots. For the jets I often went with something like a 1600 ISO so I could shoot at 1/1000 or faster, for those exquisitely sharp shots. These modern cameras shoot amazingly well at ISOs up to at least 1000. Unless you're a cyborg like Tim or Victor the slowest ISOs will greatly reduce your percentages...

Neal

Comment

Working...
                                X