X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Will
    That is what I'm talking about. This picture is telling a story. I think it is a fantastic capture and one that I would have walked right by because I seem to be blind to that stuff.

Today's installment (only one more to go):

Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
      That is what I'm talking about. This picture is telling a story. I think it is a fantastic capture and one that I would have walked right by because I seem to be blind to that stuff.

Today's installment (only one more to go):

Bill, you were on fire this year. Your stuff is excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your stuff.

That shot of mine didn't start the way it came out. Initially I saw the two planes (actually 3, there is a thunder mustang to the left) in the hanger and figured it wasn't a bad shot but nothing all that exciting. It wasn't till I sat down and started working with it that I thought there was potential for something really cool. I set about darkening the back of the image, and as I turned down the lights (so to say) the rest of the picture started to present itself. So I went for it. A little of this, a bit of that. Crap, too much of that, back up... lets try some of this... yeah that works. A little more? No, too much. 10 minutes or so later, that was what I had. I'll take it! Its funny how things start off one way, and end up another.

Will

Comment

Will

Comment

Bill,

Did you happen to get any of the Biplane (Gold, specifically)? Your shots are amazing and so well-zoomed. It's a different perspective and I'd love to see Bipes if you have 'em.

Sam Swift
          Race #3
          Biplane
          Smokin' Hot
          Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
            Bill,

Did you happen to get any of the Biplane (Gold, specifically)? Your shots are amazing and so well-zoomed. It's a different perspective and I'd love to see Bipes if you have 'em.

Sam Swift
            Race #3
            Biplane
            Smokin' Hot
            I've got at least one from the pylons. I'll try and post what I have when I get home this afternoon.

Will

Comment

I like that one Will. Sorry Sam. As I eluded to earlier, I was in a foul-ish mood and I mostly stayed in my secret hideout. I'm not proud to admit it, but I only shot Sport and Unlimited Gold on Sunday. Eleven months to get my act together.

Last installment, and here is the link to them all: https://pbase.com/wjpearce/reno_2021

Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

A definitive Gold Race shot, and something I've never seen this way. That spray bar water flowing back under the wing is quite unique (and very cool). I had somehow never thought about how the air heated by the oil coolers exited the airframe. Now I know. Having Argo next to the Dread Sled also really highlights the extent of the surgery necessary to add a second oil cooler and whatever else is lurking in those wing roots.

It's been a great little trip here Bill. Maybe it's just as well that you were off muttering or whatever much of the week.. If you shot all week and as much as the young guys we'd be here til Christmas oohing and ahing and not getting anything useful done. Great work...

I'd like at some point to put up some shots of Rapid Travel -- I really liked that project and a lot of people here may not have seen it much. You mentioned at one point being affected by that event -- would you rather I didn't?

Neal

Comment

I right clicked and "open image in new tab" and was able o see the image more full on!

Not sure what the native resolution of the shot is but it looked really good at 200% (edge browsersized)

Oh shoot.. I mean the second from the bottom shot.. the spray bar capture is excellent!

Click image for larger version

Name:	original.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	231749

It even looks better when further blown! Would love to see original!!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm hoping the board software does not convert this link into a picture..

This is link to original at pbase.. COOL just checked link and it went directly to the big pixle version

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
                      Bill,

Sam Swift
                      Race #3
                      Biplane
                      Smokin' Hot
                      I've got just one that I've found so far. I might have more, but I don't know.

Will

Comment

Great shot, Will. Sam's running pretty low there so Kenn just might have one of those US flag/home pylon shots, too.

Hey Sam -- How was your week? You put down some good speeds -- standing down on Sunday must have been hard.

Neal

Comment

I've got a few more of Race 3 before the start of the race.

Will

Comment

Neal, feel free to post whatever you want about Rapid Travel. Happy to see some good pics. The screaming wind on Saturday just reminded me of the day it crashed. Same place, same time of day, same time of year, same wind direction and gusts, etc... I thought of it all after Matias had stood down and thinking what a good decision that was. Still amazed the George walked away.

Wayne, Glad you liked it. I'll see if I can post the unaltered, from-the-camera original tonight. Might be fun to see.

Will, Very nice bipe pylon capture. To me, excellent choice of the wide-angle on the runway, they look great.
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

For academic purposes, linked below is _WJP1500.jpg (11 MB), the Dreadnought photo Wayne singled out. This is the image as it came from the camera, which was actually quite soft. So, Photoshop saved this one. I think what I did was crop, resize, kick up the contrast a little, adjust the blue channel level to add a little blue, add a little saturation to make the red pop a bit, and then sharpen.

EXIF data:
                              Date/Time: 19-Sep-2021 15:13:12
                              Make: Nikon
                              Model: NIKON D500
                              Flash Used: No
                              Focal Length: 460 mm (690 mm equivalent because of the crop factor)
                              Exposure Time: 1/500 sec
                              Aperture: f/9
                              ISO Equivalent: 180
                              Exposure Bias: 0.67
                              White Balance: 0
                              Metering Mode: multi spot (3)
                              JPEG Quality: (6)
                              Exposure Program: manual (1)

Original: 5568 ? 3712 @ 300 ppi 11 MB image file:
                              https://oldmachinepress.files.wordpr...10/wjp1500.jpg
                              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                                For academic purposes, linked below is _WJP1500.jpg (11 MB), the Dreadnought photo Wayne singled out. This is the image as it came from the camera, which was actually quite soft. So, Photoshop saved this one. I think what I did was crop, resize, kick up the contrast a little, adjust the blue channel level to add a little blue, add a little saturation to make the red pop a bit, and then sharpen.

EXIF data:
                                Date/Time: 19-Sep-2021 15:13:12
                                Make: Nikon
                                Model: NIKON D500
                                Flash Used: No
                                Focal Length: 460 mm (690 mm equivalent because of the crop factor)
                                Exposure Time: 1/500 sec
                                Aperture: f/9
                                ISO Equivalent: 180
                                Exposure Bias: 0.67
                                White Balance: 0
                                Metering Mode: multi spot (3)
                                JPEG Quality: (6)
                                Exposure Program: manual (1)

Original: 5568 ? 3712 @ 300 ppi 11 MB image file:
                                https://oldmachinepress.files.wordpr...10/wjp1500.jpg
                                (nervously looks around...) No officence, but had that been my shot I wouldn't have even tried. That would have had a one way ticket to the trash. Apparently I need to reassess my idea of a bad shot. Don't worry I'm not in any way knocking your pic, more like knocking my out of control expectations of what a printable shot should look like.

Nice work in post to bring that pic back. Way beyond my abilities. Time to go reassess my idea of a "good" shot. hahaha.

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X