Reno 2021 photo thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reno 2021 photo thread.

Thank you all for the kind words. It was Senior in the Heritage Flight. I think glare made his grey helmet look whiter than it really is. I am also not a super fan of the F-35, but all of its odd lines and bumps make for interesting shots.

Since you brought up Dan Vance, below is a shot from Sunday. It is basically the same shot from Friday, just with a nicer sky. I guess we were all pretty consistent.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

That is just a wonderful angle for a Mustang. I thought the moody sky in the other one was great, and the other had a bit more pilot and helmet visible, which I think is part of the reason it worked so very well for me. This is very nice, but I don't get that sense of the pilot's presence that the other has. And the background is boring, LOL. I'm not a big fan of clear blue skies. If you live in Reno you don't have a choice most of the time, but I'll take interesting clouds and skies anytime even though the shooting is more difficult. (Not smoke, though -- that is a different matter altogether).

Neal

Comment

Sorry folks -- more boring photograher talk coming -- skip to next post if necessary.

Bill -- I just went back and looked at both shots together (actually back and forth) and got interested in my reactions in viewing them. To me the first somehow has more of the what I think of as "presence" that I admire in your better stuff. The second is a nice picture beautifully done. The smoky one is different and special in a way I can't really define. I think it's a wonderful photograph.

Don't take this too seriously, though. When somebody admires something I've done too much I just remind them that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while... I was actually thinking at one time of naming my business "Blind Squirrel Photography", but then thought better of the idea.

I think maybe I shouldn't have had that second glass of wine...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
          Sorry folks -- more boring photograher talk coming -- skip to next post if necessary.
          Keep it coming Neal.. I learned quite a bit about photography from you and would always love to learn more.

In the "self taught" realm of my shooting, I've been more of a "gunner" in most of my action photography, meaning be there, set the camear up as best you know how, pan and shoot to the best of your ability.... controlled breathing.. pray you don't F up the opportunity (access is holy grail)

Prior to my first Air2Air session, I spent a lot of nervous time with my good friend Sue Peterson... her most memorable comment to me was "90% of air to air is being there"

I"m not that great a photog but would credit a lot of what I got to my great fortune to "be there" for some pretty cool sessions.

Back to photo talk.. I've got well over twenty grand sitting in my camera bag... and more invested over the years...

Likely first DSLR shot at RENO

D1= $5000.
          D2= $5000
          D2X= wuz a bit cheaper at I think $3500 or therebouts...

Honestly can't remember if I owned the D3 but I was loaned a D4 a few years ago and had to have one...

D4= $6500

That nice Nikon 200-400 I lug around

yet another five grand or so...

Still have them all, saw the current resalve value of my sixtyfivehundred D4 was something like six hundred bux..

Not to mention the plethoria of digital storage devices I've purchased over the years..

So yea, Neal... keep the photo talk comin'
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Neal, speaking of shutter speed, I just noticed that your icon and mine were prolly shot at about the same shutter speed... nowhere near full blur but... prolly a good example of set it up best you can, aim it and pray!

By Edit.. I know at one point you told me you thought that shot was an air to air.

Again, it's all about access! During the shooting of Thunder Over Reno, I got to be places that I wish I could remember where in hell we were!

Bob was not racing, he was doing a movie, I was in a really good place to get some really good shots.. I did not have the D4 at that time, I think it was the D2x, I'd have to check.
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Those back pylons during PRSs were great fun (the movie shoot was with PRS that year). My avatar was shot from Pylon 5 the summer Steve first got to fly Strega on the course at Reno. A great situation for somebody like me. I'm a more methodical shooter than you, I think. I like to have time to look and think and see and choose how I want to approach a situation. I also like to get a lot of chances because I screw this stuff up a lot. PRS used to mean lots of laps at reasonable speeds, and Steve gave me a lot of good chances. My stuff from when Dan brought Dago is really good too. I've always been shaky at best and can use any edge I can get. Dago at 325 mph works better with my skill set than Dago at 480 mph. Pylon 5 is much more useful when they're low and slow in the summer than on real race days when they're running higher and running at Jihad power.

Neal
              Attached Files

Comment

I wish I could remember exactly where I was, I bet if I looked at a topo map I could figure it out. I was on a ridge, somewhere out in the Pylon 3-4 area.. I'd wager that ridge is pretty easy to find, an amazing place to shoot from and watch what's going on.. (I wish)

Those were fun times
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I could never figure out why I was the only one I knew who really loved Pylon 5. I thought it was great...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    I could never figure out why I was the only one I knew who really loved Pylon 5. I thought it was great...
                    Pylon 5 is awesome! The light is good all day long, you have a choice of backgrounds, and you can chose between an inbound and an outbound shot. I'll take P5 every time.

Will

Comment

Well, I guess that makes two of us.

Neal

Comment

Hello Neal,

I know what you mean, I like the smokey one better too. People like what they like. Some like blue skies, others like grey. Some like prop blur, others frozen. Some like wide-angle, others tele. Some like RAW, others jpg. Some like Nikon, others like Canon, and Brad likes iPhones. Some like a scantily clad female in front of the machine, others like a sunset behind. And many fall in between.

I always find it interesting the different shots people make on the same subject. Many years ago, Steve Edmundson and I walked down to the statics. We both took photos, sometimes standing right next to each other. Back at "Base," I thought all mine were junk. Utterly uninspiring and they did not tell any story at all. Later, I looked over Steve's shoulder as he reviewed his photos on his laptop. "WTF" was my reaction. I was right next to him and wasted electrons, while his photos of the same subject took you in and told a story.

Today's installment...

Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Owen will like these...

I've never been able to figure out whether that's a dumb looking airplane or a dumb looking helicopter. Nice shots of the Thunderbirds. It's always nice to see some because I hardly have any. I think I've shot the TBirds and Blue angels three or four times at most since they left the T-38s and Scooters behind. Too loud, and too much announcer. I'd always head back to the IF1 hangar when the time came. I'd just find a quiet corner and try to take a nap.
                          I liked them a lot back in the T-38 days but more recently I've just wnted to hide. They put butts in the seats so I was glad they were there, but...

You really are good at this.

Neal

Comment

Bill,
                            Neal is right! These are awesome. Well done, sir. Thanks for showing some love for the "show" side of the house.!

Every year I put together a calendar for the ICAS convention held in Vegas in Dec. I distribute them to promote my air boss business during the exhibition hall sessions.

While I am happy with the images I'm using this year, I wished I'd have solicited for images on here! I just wasn't thinking.

Keep that in mind for next year, fellas!

Terrific work! Thanks again.
                            Owen Ashurst
                            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Will

Comment

I really like that hangar set. That first shot is really nicely seen and shot.

Neal

Comment

Working...
                                X