Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos

Sunday I met up with the legend Lockheed Bob, we sat down and he showed me his photos he has from the Cleveland Air Races plus some other old air race photos. What a wonderful person and life Lockheed Bob has had, a true air race fan and his photos/stories need to be preserved for history.

Lockheed Bob asked me if I could scan the photos and share them here. Note, these photos are 4 x 6 so these have previously been scanned from original photos at one time or another.

Thanks again Lockheed Bob, you are a true legend and I hope to see you again. Hopefully you can add some story line to each.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HR3_6959.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	242719

Lockheed Bob at 16

Name:	HR3_6966.jpeg
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	242720
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-23-2021, 05:35 AM.

Re: Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos

Lockheed Bob's Photos

Name:	LB1.jpg
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	231677Click image for larger version

Name:	LB2.jpg
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	231678Click image for larger version

Name:	LB3.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	231679Click image for larger version

Name:	LB4.jpg
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	231680Click image for larger version

Name:	LB5.jpg
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	231681Click image for larger version

Name:	LB6.jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	231688Click image for larger version

Name:	LB7.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	231689Click image for larger version

Name:	LB8.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	231690Click image for larger version

Name:	LB9.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	231691Click image for larger version

Name:	LB10.jpg
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	231692Click image for larger version

Name:	LB11.jpg
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	231693Click image for larger version

Name:	LB12.jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	231694Click image for larger version

Name:	LB13.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	231695Click image for larger version

Name:	LB14.jpg
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	231696Click image for larger version

Name:	LB15.jpg
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	231697Click image for larger version

Name:	LB16.jpg
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	231698Click image for larger version

Name:	LB17.jpg
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	231699Click image for larger version

Name:	LB18.jpg
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	231700Click image for larger version

Name:	LB19.jpg
Size:	717.1 KB
ID:	231701Click image for larger version

Name:	LB20.jpg
Size:	754.3 KB
ID:	231702
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-23-2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Wow...just wow.

What a treasure, both man and photos!

If there's one thing I regret to some degree about my role at Reno it's that I simply have little to no time to mingle, walk the pits, meet AAFO'ers and the like.

Bob, thanks very much for sharing your stories, your images, and your insights. Please know that, at least for me, they are respected and appreciated very much!

Stay well both of you!
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Doggie, what resolution are you scanning to? I'd like you to scan to highest resolution possible and save all original scans at best quality possible. AAFO kitty will buy you an SSD of whatever size is needed. Now that we've got Bob's photos in hand, we need to ensure that they are not only shown here, I'm thinking some sort of photo book would be in order..

We are so very fortunate to have Lockheed Bob here in this forum, I want to get and tell his story to the world...

Thanks Dawg for doing this!!!!

Your efforts are also priceless! You have been making it like we all live out there sharing your visits..

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,

These were previously scanned, cropped and printed to 4 x 6. So I can only capture what the previous scan caught. However, it was only 300 dpi, I just set to 600 dpi and will scan again. Plus I will post at full resolution, usually I export at High vs Maximum, since these are scanned at 600 dpi I can do that. If Bob still has the original prints I would be happy to scan them.

Hans

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          Doggie, what resolution are you scanning to? I'd like you to scan to highest resolution possible and save all original scans at best quality possible. AAFO kitty will buy you an SSD of whatever size is needed. Now that we've got Bob's photos in hand, we need to ensure that they are not only shown here, I'm thinking some sort of photo book would be in order..

We are so very fortunate to have Lockheed Bob here in this forum, I want to get and tell his story to the world...

Thanks Dawg for doing this!!!!

Your efforts are also priceless! You have been making it like we all live out there sharing your visits..

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-21-2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
            Wayne,

These were previously scanned, cropped and printed to 4 x 6. So I can only capture what the previous scan caught. However, it was only 300 dpi, I just set to 600 dpi and will scan again. Plus I will post at full resolution, usually I export at High vs Maximum, since these are scanned at 600 dpi I can do that. If Bob still has the original prints I would be happy to scan them.

Hans
            Ahh.. You stated all that in the original post.. I need to start reading more carefully! Does not help that I can barely see the text on my lappy screen lately (need bi-focals or computer specific glasses my readers don't work)

Anyway.. we'll work with what we got ey!!

Nice thing about where we live (the server) we got a BOATLOAD of storage space! Also creating a URL and such is about a $15. per year (domain fee) So we could actually have his photos under lockheedbob.com or something like that..

He is, indeed a treasure and sharing him with the world is one of our duties here I think!!!

I beat the pnumonia that was keeping me down the past few months (due to the damage to my throat from radiation, I tend to inhale some of whatever I eat or drink.. plus just inhalation of saliva and post nasal drip) I tend to get bacterial pnumonia quite easily if I don't caugh up what I inhale right away..

I have a lot more energy, right now, than I have in months... too bad we didn't discover the problem sooner, I'd have probably have made it..

Back to Bob.... KEEP EM COMIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos Album Feature

Dawg, not sure if only I see the link (admin of site) but on the community link, there's an album tab, would you look into that? Might be a good way to share all of the works on one page with thumbnails to all... then link to the post??
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Lockheed Bob's 1949 Cleveland Air Race Photos Album Feature

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                Dawg, not sure if only I see the link (admin of site) but on the community link, there's an album tab, would you look into that? Might be a good way to share all of the works on one page with thumbnails to all... then link to the post??
                Wayne, let's leave it here for now, I'm hoping Bob will slowly start adding some of his story line here to each photo. Every photo had a cool story.

Hans

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob in the pits a couple of years ago.. looking forward to seeing more of the scrapbook. Thanks for sharing it, Bob.

Comment

Combined into 2nd thread
                    Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-23-2021, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Whenever I have met Bob in the pits, I can always count on a totally exciting, informative and very enjoyable hour. I love discussing Air Race history and that man has seen it all!
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

After driving home(Mesquite, NV) 438 miles in one day I'm catching up on Dr's & Dentist appointments. I will send Desert Dawg info on photos plus my story about Jimmy DeSanto who raced a P 38 self taught & raced with only 23 minutes of flying time in it Thanks to Desert Dawg for posting my photos.
                        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                          After driving home(Mesquite, NV) 438 miles in one day I'm catching up on Dr's & Dentist appointments. I will send Desert Dawg info on photos plus my story about Jimmy DeSanto who raced a P 38 self taught & raced with only 23 minutes of flying time in it Thanks to Desert Dawg for posting my photos.
                          Glad you made it home safely Bob, the thanks all goes to you for sure!!!!!!!! I'd really like to talk with you about the best way to present your photos. I know Dawgie would like to get a comment or two per photo... I'd like to put it all together in a gallery setting, easier to access than having to scroll through a several page thread..

In short, I would like as many people as possible to be able to easily find this project!!

Do you still have the original negs?

I think a book would also be a worthy project and I'd support it in any way possible! We AAFO'ers have a bit in the kitty that we could help finance starting something like this.... I guess you might be able to tell that I'm totally pumped about this... you have lit my creative fires again!!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

If negatives are available, I have the ability to convert 35mm negatives to jpgs on my camera. Its a bit of work, but this would be a worthy project. I can also convert 35mm slides to RAW images and edit them like a normal picture.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                              438 miles in a day, your a road trip warrior my friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X