Shout out to the entire sport class!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shout out to the entire sport class!

I wanted to give a shout out to the entire sport class.

They have been so much fun for the last few years, and especially this year for me.

All week long, they have had some of the nicest line abreast starting formations that I've seen. In most of their races, there are a couple of "races within races" where there is heated competition for several positions.

Even though there wasn't much passing in the gold race (except for Jeff LaVelle passing the field to lead the race), they are getting fast enough that I got the same kind of rush as they come past home pylon that I get with the fastest unlimiteds.

I also love the enthusiasm of Rob Monahan when he announces the races.

Nice job!
    Last edited by wadeh; 09-19-2021, 05:50 PM.

Re: Shout out to the entire sport class!

The sport gold final was awesome

Comment

The sports class is where it's at lately!

Comment

Originally posted by wadeh View Post
        I wanted to give a shout out to the entire sport class.

They have been so much fun for the last few years, and especially this year for me.

All week long, they have had some of the nicest line abreast starting formations that I've seen. In most of their races, there are a couple of "races within races" where there is heated competition for several positions.

Even though there wasn't much passing in the gold race (except for Jeff LaVelle passing the field to lead the race), they are getting fast enough that I got the same kind of rush as they come past home pylon that I get with the fastest unlimiteds.

I also love the enthusiasm of Rob Monahan when he announces the races.

Nice job!
        I was feeling the exact same thing as they came around Pylon 8 and headed onto the start straight. The engines sounded like the fast unlimiteds from a few years ago, and it was exciting to see and hear.

My opinion is that this was perhaps a transitional year for air racing, in that the Sport Gold racers have taken the mantle from the Unlimiteds. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigger Al View Post
          I was feeling the exact same thing as they came around Pylon 8 and headed onto the start straight. The engines sounded like the fast unlimiteds from a few years ago, and it was exciting to see and hear.

My opinion is that this was perhaps a transitional year for air racing, in that the Sport Gold racers have taken the mantle from the Unlimiteds. It was bound to happen sooner or later.
          Although I love the sport class (as well as all classes) the WWII iron will always have my heart! Having grown up in the post war years (WWII) there was still a lot of fascination with the warbirds throughtout my youth. PEEFIDDYONE!!!! Yea baby!!

There is just something about the fighting spirit and history in those old birds, do see them hot rodded like the guys who flew em' then would have dreamed about doing is just a special thing. The sound of any engine at full song is music, the sound of a WWII engine pushed well beyond its design limits...

I can't explain it in words..
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

There are still 3 of the fastest unlimited racers out there gathering dust. I?m sad that 430 is a winning speed on what looked like a pretty decent day weather wise. I don?t know how to get them out running again, but Reno really needs them if they?re going to continue. No disrespect to the Sport class, but it?s not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
              There are still 3 of the fastest unlimited racers out there gathering dust. I?m sad that 430 is a winning speed on what looked like a pretty decent day weather wise. I don?t know how to get them out running again, but Reno really needs them if they?re going to continue. No disrespect to the Sport class, but it?s not the same.
              I agree with both you and Wayne. I grew up with Reno as the cornerstone of my love for aviation, and have seen all of the glory years. I would so very much love to see a couple of the Super Gold racers come back for another go, but my gut tells me that won't ever happen again. I would love to be proven wrong.

The Unlimited class is now a parade class, and it's tough to see a way back to it being the premier show that it's been in the past. While riding the motorcycle back home today (2 hours) I had time to ponder a bit on air racing and the place we find ourselves in 2021. When it started, the sport was the place for engineers and pilots to design, build, and race whatever took their fancy. That lasted until the Post WWII years when the fighters took center stage. I just wonder if we are now at the beginning of another era where smaller teams and efforts will rise up to give we fans an exciting, innovative, and fun show to watch each September. It's something to ponder.

Comment

IMO, the Sport class is knocking the proverbial ?it? out of the park. It is the premiere racing of the event and it?s being done as well as it ever has been done. The racing, the machines, the storylines, the people. It?s like the days of old. Who?s got what for who and who?s got what left? When they take off for gold, everything is still on the table. Everyone had it figured one way this year and it wasn?t like that at all. It was dynamite all week. Fast, entertaining, innovative, complex, competitive, surprising. What do want, no wait, what do you need out of air racing? Seriously. Top to bottom, they put the class in Sport Class.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I agree with both you and Wayne. I grew up with Reno as the cornerstone of my love for aviation, and have seen all of the glory years. I would so very much love to see a couple of the Super Gold racers come back for another go, but my gut tells me that won't ever happen again. I would love to be proven wrong.

The Unlimited class is now a parade class, and it's tough to see a way back to it being the premier show that it's been in the past. While riding the motorcycle back home today (2 hours) I had time to ponder a bit on air racing and the place we find ourselves in 2021. When it started, the sport was the place for engineers and pilots to design, build, and race whatever took their fancy. That lasted until the Post WWII years when the fighters took center stage. I just wonder if we are now at the beginning of another era where smaller teams and efforts will rise up to give we fans an exciting, innovative, and fun show to watch each September. It's something to ponder.
                  Just want to say that your comments and views are super appreciated. Thank you.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I should probably go to bed but can?t sleep at the moment?
                    First reaction is disappointment. Thought we had Jeff covered and it turns out we didn?t. That?s racing. It hurts and that will be fuel for the next year. Of course I also realize how worth it this two year wait has been. Great to see so many friends again and make new ones. Sport Class put on a great show, everyone is safe, and most everyone has a working engine to travel home. That?s a lot of prayers.

Also coming in 3rd in 2015, I was ecstatic. To be disappointed about 3rd today, it hits how how happy I am to be on this team.
                    "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Huge shout to Sport! Great show!

As for Reno not continuing w/o the "Super UNL", I must respectfully disagree. Reno has survived all manner of things...pandemic, accidents, 9/11, etc.

The event is changing...it has to if it wants to survive. Business as usual is not an option.
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X