Miss A ...what happened ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miss A ...what happened ?

I have no idea whether it's a bad thing or a good thing, but I photographed dramatic wrinkles in Miss A's aft fuse for years. It would be interesting to find some pre-rebuild shots to see if there's a difference. It may well just be a Mustang thing -- other airframes have shown similar effects when going fast. Stiletto's wrinkles at speed were even more dramatic.

Neal
    Attached Files

Comment

Rare Bear used to have some pretty gnarly looking ones on the rear fuse also.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Leo -- those wrinkles and dents on the Bear really helped get me invited to be a team member. They apparently showed some structural issues that the team were unaware of, and caused some much needed work to be done. Bucky's shots of dangerous things happening in the YAK wing at warp speed caused the airplane to be grounded for a couple of years while repairs and changes were made. There is real value to having eyes and cameras watching things out on the pylons...

Here are a couple of even older (2008) shots of Race 11 that also show things happening back there. The closeup (of a reject shot so don't shoot me over the quality, Will) shows better what Will was referring to in the area above the race number.

Neal
        Attached Files

Comment

I remember both issues (Bear and CM), seemed some oil canning on Bear continued after fixes.
          Dunno whether it is normal or not. A lot of stressful things happening at those speeds!
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Good one Neal, I'm hoping (pretty sure he is) Brent is following this thread and will see those images. I'd like to ask him about it... I feel a huge responsibility being allowed to be the vehicle for Brent to share his story of the prep and week.. the more background I can stuff into my brain the better..
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Here's a crop of the Bear showing some wrinkles. These are very different from the 1980s dents and wrinkles referred to in the other post. I remember a long conversation with Bruce Boland about this many years ago. There was a lot I didn't really understand (talking to Bruce was a lot like talking to Pete Law -- you definitely know more after the conversation, but always walk away wondering what was said that you just didn't quite get), but in between all the discussion of extension vs compression, rigging the controls for different speed ranges, control input under Gs and in a turn etc. what I got is that this stuff happens under stress on an airframe. It's not desirable or ideal, but an airframe has to be designed for a wild range of altitudes, speeds, temperatures and g forces and so has to be designed with all this in mind. These stress signs should be paid attention to and analysed but you'll never get a totally smooth and undistorted airframe under all conditions.

Bruce Lockwood said that when they were bondoing and profiling the wing of Dago Red they did the final work with the wings jacked and loaded to simulate the G loads on the wing at speed in turns. You want it perfect at Pylon 8 at 500 mph, not in the pits at 0 knots...

Neal
              Attached Files
              Last edited by wingman; 09-30-2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I would think that the filler on the fuselage sides of Dago,Strega, and Voodoo help to stiffen those panels somewhat. Its pretty flexible unless its a zillion years old.

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
                  I would think that the filler on the fuselage sides of Dago,Strega, and Voodoo help to stiffen those panels somewhat. Its pretty flexible unless its a zillion years old.
                  Filler offers no strength, and unless its super thin, does not flex. Remember the big block of filler that Rare Bear ate years ago causing the mayday because the throttle was stuck open? It is possible that Voodoo, Strega and Dago all have thicker skin in those areas that doesn't flex. I don't know.

After seeing both the Rare Bear issues as well as the Czechmate wing issues, I always look for this sort of thing in my pictures. I always want to bring stuff like this up to the teams if I see it because there is always that chance that it IS something that could save someone's life.

Will

Comment

I said it would help stiffen not make them stronger, and it is flexible. If it wasn't it would never stay on as good as it does.

Comment

Raw interview with Brent "Doc" Hisey

Noon pacific

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sundays Gold Race Pylon 4

Shawn
                        Attached Files

Comment