Miss A ...what happened ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miss A ...what happened ?

I'm going to add, I made an ass of myself way back when.... I was part of the Rare Bear team and got waaay too involved with crew politics... I made some public written statements about John Penny that I will regret for the rest of my life!

I violated a very good friendship and particularly as a "journalist" that was more or less performing as an "embed" on the team, who the F was I to say anything about anything!

Just saying, it's important to remember that whatever you write on here is visible to everyone... and words written on the net can cut like a knife!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I will add one thing here....

Secretly and not so secretly, some folks in the tower were pulling for Miss America. We don't have a dog in the fight...but some of us have our favorites.

Here's hoping the lessons learned in 2021 turn into more success in 2022.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
        Here's hoping the lessons learned in 2021 turn into more success in 2022.
        Yes!

I'm already planning for next year. My group consists of several families that travel independently down at different times. My wife likes to get down on Thursday of race week and always resists my pushing it earlier. I got us down on Tuesday night this year and enjoyed the extra time. Next year, she'll be going down with one of her friends and meeting me there. That will let me get there in time to see the Monday and Tuesday qualifying.

Comment

We went to Miss A's pit after the Sunday Gold and there was a crowd of enthusiastic and understandably unhappy fans. A crew member told the crowd "We proved a point, Dreadnaught can't walk away from a Mustang". He also said they ran 125" of boost. I read in another post that an aftercooler doesn't do well above 115" of boost. Anybody in the know want to weigh in on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
            We went to Miss A's pit after the Sunday Gold and there was a crowd of enthusiastic and understandably unhappy fans. A crew member told the crowd "We proved a point, Dreadnaught can't walk away from a Mustang". He also said they ran 125" of boost. I read in another post that an aftercooler doesn't do well above 115" of boost. Anybody in the know want to weigh in on this.
            I can't vouch for what was said, but no, aftercoolers don't like more than about 110 inches from what I understand. This is why the tube motors were created. They don't have the restriction that the aftercoolers have and can build more boost with less issues. The downside is they need LOTS of ADI to keep the intake charge cool.

With some slightly different tactics, (I'm 100% speculating here so take it with a grain of salt) I think they could have won. Had they passed dreadnought and gotten into clean air, actually pulled away. Dreadnought was likely pegged with the small prop, small tail, and tighter course. That is just about all they have. I really hope they change their minds and come back next year. That was a bitter pill to swallow, multiple times this year. Develop the plane more, clean up the details on it, and go again next year. Perhaps come out for PRS and get some laps in at higher power just to get comfortable at lower altitude at speed. This year can be looked at two ways. 1. They got screwed and they are over and done racing. 2, they can go home, discuss what worked, what didn't and re evaluate their strategy. Come back next year a little more polished, a little more comfortable at higher speeds and power settings running a lower line. This year could be a great learning experience, or viewed as a waste of time and $$$$$$. I don't know which they will choose.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
              2, they can go home, discuss what worked, what didn't and re evaluate their strategy. Come back next year a little more polished, a little more comfortable at higher speeds and power settings running a lower line. This year could be a great learning experience.
              #2 is what I think. Miss America is such a legend and her #1 fan base is at The Reno Air Races.

Plus, bring tons of swag, T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc to sell.

Comment

<<<The 426 average on today's timing is about 435 on the old timing. Factor in the course changes and short tail, I think we saw really close to what Dreadnought can run currently. I still didn't get a confirmation from anyone, but I heard Danny say 441 on lap 5 or 6. If that was true, Dread was likely at the limit.[/QUOTE]>>>

First lap was fastest at 435.762
                6th lap was slowest at 421.878
                laps 2-7 avg 426.661

I think the talk of a cut pylon was a blunder by an announcer (if that's where it came from).
                TJ

Comment

I spoke with the Captain - Home Pylon about the Miss America DQ.

She was DQ'd for high flying and cutting the South Showline (both calls made by Contest Cmte, not Pylons). Unclear which lap(s) were involved.

There were a few laps where no lap traffic was involved coming around Outer 8 and Outer 9 and it was just Dread and Ms. A. I suspect, knowing the Contest Cmte folks, it was one of those laps that DQ'd her. But again...that's just my gut. I could be wrong.
                  Owen Ashurst
                  Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                  http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Thanks to all who posted here.

I was certainly rooting for Doc H. and Miss A. and hope to see her back next year. Maybe Doc would be good with qualifying her and allowing a pilot like Steven Hinton to race.

It was nice to see some competition for the Unlimited Gold this year. Kudos, too, to the Saunders family for again fielding three Furys.

Comment

"Doc" Hisey has agreed to share his Reno 2021 via an interview to take place this weekend!

I can type pretty fast, I no longer have my "stenographer" pedal that I used to use to stop a recording when doing transcribing but I think I can still handle it!! Luckily, my typing skills are still pretty sharp, as long as I don't look at the keyboard! LOL>.... I honestly can't quite understand how it works but I learned to touch type and my fingers know where the keys are, my eyes have a hell of a time finding them! LOL!! Probably TMI but...

Anyway, I wasn't going to pre-announce but I'm so pumped to get to talk to the actual guy who held the stick that I could **** myself!! LOL!!

I got to work with Doc a time or two over the years, this is truly exciting!!

Ya'll have any questions you would like asked??

I was not there, I think a lot went on, I did not get to see whatever was not on the streaming... Looked like Dread was making himself just about impossible to pass..

Throwing the project on the table....

Let's hear it!!

THANKS DOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Awesome! Yes, Dreadnought was not making it easy to pass him.

I'm still trying to find my pics from Sunday from P2. (You'd think it would be easy, just go to the end of the run of photos, but they aren't there...) They are crap photos, but at least one can see where the two were in relation to each other.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                          Awesome! Yes, Dreadnought was not making it easy to pass him.

I'm still trying to find my pics from Sunday from P2. (You'd think it would be easy, just go to the end of the run of photos, but they aren't there...) They are crap photos, but at least one can see where the two were in relation to each other.

Will
                          Post em up! I want to give Doc the best chance of telling the story of Miss America's Team at Reno 2021... some of you saw things from a different angle..

Reasonably sure Doc is reading this thread...

I HOPE he knows how much we fans love him and the team and their effort to help keep the sport alive and give everyone an excellent show... From where I was, they did just that, despite some pretty nasty setbacks that truly don't seem to be their fault.... (sounded like the timers were AFU for Doc's runs).....
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I understand some of you had crew to pilot radio freq's tuned and have a bit of an inside on information that was being fed to the pilot via NASCAR style spotter advice....

If anyone has any of that recorded... bless you!!! If not, good memories are welcome..
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                              I HOPE he knows how much we fans love him and the team and their effort to help keep the sport alive and give everyone an excellent show....
                              Wayne,

Oh man that is just awesome.

Thanks for making this happen.

Comment

Here are the pics I have. These are likely from early/mid race.

Passing slower traffic.

I don't have anything from the last laps. These were taken from pylon 2. He was pretty high most of the time. How high I can't say.

One thing that I did find worrisome in the pics I shot was oil canning in the fuselage. Another guy who was shooting next to me got better pics that show it worse than mine do. I have looked at my pics of both Voodoo and Strega and they don't appear to have it. If they were covered in bondo in this area, with this much flex, the bondo would crack and fall off. I tried to show the better pics to the guys in the pit, but they blew them off as normal flexing. Other people I've talked to who know what is right and what isn't said this is not normal.

Look above the "11" and toward the tail. This pic doesn't show it as well as the other guys, but you can see it.

Will

Comment

Working...
                                X