HeHeHeHe.....
    Hope you feel better soon.

Leo
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Tough Audience!!!

Feelin a bit better today, as you can tell.. I'm out playin with the big dogs and gettin my butt kicked...
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Guys, we've neglected to mention September Fury! The flame paint is growing on me and I hope the motor is hot through the gold race on Sunday, then everybody will have to push hard! There's nothing like the first lap of Sunday's Gold!

Will MB put a P-3 prop on it this year? Peas
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Here's a shot from Saurday AM.
          Attached Files
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

Gee.......I never thought I'd see 4 pages of replies to my question! I guess I'll have to chime in more often!

Well sine I've seen everyone else's favorites here's mine. It's hard to nail it down to one but my vote does go to Miss Ashley II. There was something really "sexy" about to the look and sound of that racer with the Griffon rounding the pylons that I'll always appreciate.

MA II had one of the sleekest airframes I've seen on any plane of modern design and I don't think her full potential as an unlimited racer was ever realized before she and Gary were so tragically lost.

I'm no expert on aerodynamics but I imagine that whatever limitations were encountered through the use of the Griffon engine were made up for in an innovative airframe design.

First runner up goes to my all time favorite plane/pilot/team/family/bitchin' racer group.......the Critical Mass Team. You can't help yourself from appreciating such an outstanding campaign these folks provided in the last several years. Just think.... Dago and the Bear pushing each other to the breaking point, and who's right there but the mighty CM! Not to mention Tom and his FAMILY are a wonderful group of people who really appreciate the fan support. I have great memories from 2001 when after a 33hr cross country trip to get to the races (since no airlines were flying) the Dwelle's welcomed us into their pit and helped ease the pain of the race cancellation.

The plane itself it just an awesome sight to see. Just a prime example of radical modification to the extreme. I firmly believe that if this plane were to keep competing we'd see her as an Unlimited Gold champion someday.

Looking farther back you gotta smile at the Hughes H-1. For its time it was as radical as anything out there. Today seeing Jim Wright's replica just took your breath away.......it was probably the most outstanding craftsmanship I've seen on ANYTHING! Plane, car, boat, bike......whatever. It' saddening to realize once again that the exploration of something unique can come at costly price. Blue skies forever Gary and Jim!

Thanks again for the great reponses everyone!

Jeff Obermeyer

Comment

Hey Jeff, See you at the Cincy Guys box! Peas
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG

Comment

it was probably the most outstanding craftsmanship I've seen on ANYTHING!
                Speaking of craftsmanship, check out this 3-page article at Popular Science about Cory Bird (an employee of Scaled Composites) and the incredibly-clean bird he made....

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviatio...592736,00.html

Comment

Wow!
                  Bill Garnett
                  InterstellarDust
                  Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Two of Hearts
                    http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys.../cheval11a.gifhttp://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys...3/ANIM3048.GIF

Comment

The coolest one is Miss America for just plain smoothness!

Comment

RB 51 and MA2

Comment

Working...
                        X