Day 1 of racing is in the books.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 1 of racing is in the books.

This was the first year that I was there for the full day on Wednesday. Normally, we arrive Wednesday around lunch time and spend the afternoon there.

It was a good day of racing, especially after two years off. There were two maydays that I can remember, both of them landed and taxied off the runway under their own power. The first one was early in the day, but I can't remember which race off the top of my head. It might have been the Ultimate 10-200 in biplane heat 1B (it shows DQ in the results). The second one was race 48 in Formula 1 heat 1B.

There was some unusual flying in jet race 1C. A few planes pulled up right at home pylon and then rejoined the course somewhere around pylon 4. Pete Zaccagnino called the race and mentioned afterward that there was a race hold while they investigated. The current, unofficial results show Race 61, 84 and 35 as DQ.

There were a number of new performers that I've not seen before. Eric Tucker did a dead stick routine, a comedy routine and an attempted landing on a vehicle with a J3. There was an airplane called a GB-1 that did a 3D type routine, although the announcer made it come off more like an advertisement for the airplane than an aerobatics display.

There were lots of STOL Drag races, and they are always lots of fun (I learned to fly in Cub, so I love that type of flying).

The Heritage and military displays are pretty much empty so far. I believe that there are many expected arrivals this evening.

The Thunderbirds did their survey flights, but it was just a couple of passes that I noticed.

Today was just my wife and I (and my wife didn't get to the stands until noon). As I was walking around, I got to thinking: For next year, could we get some AAFO.com shirts made up to advertise the site? We could even have a QR code printed on them to link directly to the Air Racing forum...

I had a chance to meet Owen Ashurst when he stopped by the announcer's booth. I wanted to thank him for his contributions here. It's a privilege to get the inside information we get, and to have a voice back into the event.

Anyway, it's good to be racing again, even though I am just a spectator.

Re: Day 1 of racing is in the books.

Originally posted by wadeh View Post
    This was the first year that I was there for the full day on Wednesday. Normally, we arrive Wednesday around lunch time and spend the afternoon there.

It was a good day of racing, especially after two years off. There were two maydays that I can remember, both of them landed and taxied off the runway under their own power. The first one was early in the day, but I can't remember which race off the top of my head. It might have been the Ultimate 10-200 in biplane heat 1B (it shows DQ in the results). The second one was race 48 in Formula 1 heat 1B.

There was some unusual flying in jet race 1C. A few planes pulled up right at home pylon and then rejoined the course somewhere around pylon 4. Pete Zaccagnino called the race and mentioned afterward that there was a race hold while they investigated. The current, unofficial results show Race 61, 84 and 35 as DQ.

There were a number of new performers that I've not seen before. Eric Tucker did a dead stick routine, a comedy routine and an attempted landing on a vehicle with a J3. There was an airplane called a GB-1 that did a 3D type routine, although the announcer made it come off more like an advertisement for the airplane than an aerobatics display.

There were lots of STOL Drag races, and they are always lots of fun (I learned to fly in Cub, so I love that type of flying).

The Heritage and military displays are pretty much empty so far. I believe that there are many expected arrivals this evening.

The Thunderbirds did their survey flights, but it was just a couple of passes that I noticed.

Today was just my wife and I (and my wife didn't get to the stands until noon). As I was walking around, I got to thinking: For next year, could we get some AAFO.com shirts made up to advertise the site? We could even have a QR code printed on them to link directly to the Air Racing forum...

I had a chance to meet Owen Ashurst when he stopped by the announcer's booth. I wanted to thank him for his contributions here. It's a privilege to get the inside information we get, and to have a voice back into the event.

Great to meet you, sir! Hope you enjoy the week!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Let?s not forget about the last qualifying session. Jeff just n Race 39 put down a cooker. Officially 392(?). I had him at 394 and change from the VOS.

I?m sure a least two of the Jet DQs were from altitude. Things got hairball coming around home on the first lap. Two pulled way high after a big scare. Perhaps the other was the cause?

Sport race 3 Mojo is done for the week. Spun main.

Bipe race 10 Bad Mojo had to work for a first place but he stayed calm and locked it down.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Nope, you are a reporter my friend! Thanks for the information and the idea about T-Shirts!!

We did hats a few years ago, I'd wager same firm (a friend of the site) could do a bang up job on shirts... They would be a bit more initial investment for us as I'd have to pay for several sizes ahead of time, where hats are simple... one size fits all..

But... if there's enough $$ in the kitty to keep the site going and do the shirts from same fund, we could do it!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
          Let?s not forget about the last qualifying session. Jeff just n Race 39 put down a cooker. Officially 392(?). I had him at 394 and change from the VOS.

I?m sure a least two of the Jet DQs were from altitude. Things got hairball coming around home on the first lap. Two pulled way high after a big scare. Perhaps the other was the cause?

Sport race 3 Mojo is done for the week. Spun main.

Bipe race 10 Bad Mojo had to work for a first place but he stayed calm and locked it down.
          Keep it going!! YOU guys are doing a better job of updates than I could! I like to drink beer at night (any time of day actually and I tend to get up pretty late, unless I have something planned (pylons, air to air, etc)...

Proud of you guys and this site at the moment!!! Maybe the only place besides "that other place" that you can grab such current info...

THANK YOU!!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks so much for the updates! I will be on scene this time tomorrow!!
            "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
              Nope, you are a reporter my friend! Thanks for the information and the idea about T-Shirts!!

We did hats a few years ago, I'd wager same firm (a friend of the site) could do a bang up job on shirts... They would be a bit more initial investment for us as I'd have to pay for several sizes ahead of time, where hats are simple... one size fits all..

But... if there's enough $$ in the kitty to keep the site going and do the shirts from same fund, we could do it!
              Doing a pre-order deal would make a lot of sense. I'd have no issues paying ahead of time.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I don't have as much to report today. Most of my family got here last night, and I hadn't seen some of them for a while, so we caught up as we watched.

One of the things that I wanted to see was the U2 simulated landing. I've seen lots of U2 fly-by's, but today it did a low pass down the runway with chase cars. It was a couple of hours later than scheduled, so we were not at our seats in the stands. It turned out to be a good thing. We were in the military display area and got a good close look at the approach and level off just above the ground. From our vantage, it looked like it started its climb out pretty close to the grandstands, so I liked our vantage point better than if we were in our seats.

The highlight of the day for us was sport heat 1A. Race 24, 39 and 30 ran some really fast laps (announcers said about 390), keeping the same order through all but the last lap. I think that this was just a preview of what we might see on Sunday. Coming out of the valley of speed on the last lap, Andrew Findlay opened it up some more and passed Jeff LaVelle. He was second across the finish line by about a spinner behind (or beside) Jim Rust. I got the distinct impression that he was just waiting to the last minute to show his hand a bit.

Miss America did start in the unlimited heat as a trailer. He walked by the rest of the field just as they passed the guide pylon. He backed off and easily won the heat.

Karl Grove and race 181 did not race. But after the races, while we were chatting back at the camp I saw a sport plane orbiting for a while that looked a lot like race 181. I didn't get a good enough look to confirm, but it would be great if he can get back into it.

Relentless took off with the sport 2B heat, but came back and landed almost right away. We were still out walking around the jet pits, so I didn't hear anything about the nature of the problem. I hope that he can get it sorted. I would love to see him put on a good race later in the week.

The STOL Drag folks continued to put on a good show. One of the planes (race 3, I think) got on the brakes a bit hard at the end of one of the runs and nosed over, resulting in a prop strike. The tail dropped back down. I was a bit surprised that he restarted it and taxied back onto the pavement (for anyone who's not seen the event, it runs in the dirt between the runway and ramp area). They did tow it back to the pits, though.

Eric Tucker did his full routines today. For the comedy part, he walked up to the announcers' booth playing a banjo. He pretended that he'd won a raffle for a ride and had never flown before. At the start of the ride, someone got out of the plane to look at the rudder and Eric "accidentally" took off. He ended the routine by landing on top of their ambulance as it drove down the runway. There was a bit of wind, and I thought that he did a great job of putting it right on top.

A flight of four sport planes did a missing man formation during the opening ceremonies for Steve Stavrakakis. For those who haven't yet heard, Steve passed away on Tuesday. I know none of the details (other than I don't think it was aviation related). Sandy Sanders has taken over Steve's announcer role.

There are lots more planes in the heritage and military display areas. The F35 and V22 have not arrived yet. I also think that they are expecting an F15 in the military static display, but it was not there yet either.

Comment

I agree that the U2 was really awesome.

A couple of other updates from the day.

The Sport Gold race was incredible. Race 24 looked really quick right out of the gate and he stayed up front for most of the race with Race 39 running second and One Moment hot on his tail. The flew that way for most of the race but you could see Andy and One Moment trying different lines and it looked like he could make a move when he wanted to. And he did. Going down through the valley of speed on the last lap he must have opened it up a bit. We couldn't see that pass where we were from but he got around Race 39 and almost caught 24 as well. Even without catching 24, it certainly seemed to be clear that this is still Andy's class and he has the plane to beat. It was fantastic!!!

The F-35's arrived shortly after the Unlimited Silver race and did a few fly bys. Really excited to see that demonstration tomorrow and over the weekend.

The STOL races continue to add a ton of intrigue to the event. Its quick, different, and very exciting. There is an 18 year old young man flying a Husky who's racing in it and he was a treat to talk to in the pits. I am so glad they brought this back and made it a class as they are a more then welcome addition to the races.

Looking forward to a great day tomorrow. The Sea Furies take to the skies and demonstration teams get going.

Have a great night everyone!!!

Comment

You guys are awesome! I mean that from the bottom of my heart! The recaps are priceless and TODAY..

I remember when we had to wait months to find out any details.. and we never ever got this kind of detail!

THANK YOU!

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

+1 to that Wayne! Thanks guys!!
                      Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Thank you all for the updates!
                        The last lap of sport 1a was very interesting. Watching the live stream, as Findlay was passing Lavelle you could see race 39 hit what looked like a big chunk of turbulence and even a puff of smoke. Did anyone else see this? Was it just turbulence or something else. It was just before and during this that findlay caught and motored past Lavelle.

Comment

Relentless was doing circuits this am. Sounded good.

STOL race 3, Lawnmower 3, piloted by Hal was racing this am. He's the one who went tail high during the STOL race yesterday and looked like it might have been a prop strike.

Comment

agree that the sport gold was the show winner yesterday. Great race!

Comment

Working...
                            X