Qualifying Day 1 Complete - Recap & Initial Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualifying Day 1 Complete - Recap & Initial Predictions

Unlimited - Dreadnought qualified at 430 and change - pretty respectable. Miss America on the course tomorrow. Not a surprise, but I expect them up front, Argonaut and 924 together with Bernie seeing if he can get any extra speed to catch up to them. It's a ~30mph difference so it's a stretch, but hopefully Bernie will give us some of the best speeds Goldfinger has ran. Speedball Alice and Blondie together, possibly Jeff trying to catch them throughout the weekend while holding off Wee Willy II and Spam Can. Winner of that battle has the option to bump to Gold (I believe) if nobody else breaks before Sunday. Back of the pack will be Man 'O War, Lady B, Bunny, and Pretty Polly.

Jet - Looks like we are going to have four L-29's that can run up near 500. That's a little scary. Curious to see if any of the L-39's can keep up this year. Red Thunder looks pretty fast. Everything else has been lackluster.

Sport - So far a rough time for Sport. Mojo and Clas Thunder I are the only Gold planes to get times. Mojo top qualifier for now at lower than expected - 334, Clas Thunder I a little faster than normal with the race engine and 3-blade at 327. Relentless maydayed with an easy fix being taken care of tonight. Fire tanker disrupted some of the other planes on the course. Tomorrow will be hectic, but fun.

T6 - Midnight Miss III is the only fast T6 that got a time today. I have doubts that the new pilot will be able to keep up with the other three. Looking for some good racing between Gunslinger, Baron's Revenge, and Radial Velocity all weekend.

F1 - Endeavor is out. I heard rumors of this, but do not know why. Looks like it'll be Limitless' race to lose unless Miss Min has a little more kick this year.

Bip - Not much to go off of yet. Money still on Bad Mojo.

In other news, POF's freshly restored Bearcat and movie-paint Corsair arrived for static. RARA also announced that the Top Gun Superhornet will be coming in Friday after the races to be on static the rest of the weekend. Sounds like we might get some twilight afterburner passes..?

Weather looks awesome!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Qualifying Day 1 Complete - Recap & Initial Predictions

Amazing update!!! Thanks for the info!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Its going to be an exciting week! Man it is good to have Reno back!
      Random Air Blog

Comment

Forgot to add in my Sport predictions -

One Moment or Race 39 will get pole. I really don't know what these 2 are capable of but I'm saying nothing less than 410, probably even 415-420 which is insane to even fathom. I'm thinking a 400+ for Race 24, but Jim will be right up there with Andy and Jeff all weekend. The thing with Race 24 is that it isn't a Race 39 "sister" like Mojo is. It's a completely different plane that could have it's advantages and disadvantages compared to Jeff. For those that haven't seen Race 24, there are zero sponsor stickers, not even Jim's Whirlwind logo. I don't know if they plan on putting any on for racing, but if they don't I think that tells you Jim cares more about having the fastest plane possible than advertising his own company.

Relentless is a proven airframe, and if Kevin can finally get everything squared away for a weekend then it's a 400+ plane too. For now, that is my top 4 until proven different, and I think all of them have a more or less equal chance at winning.

Mojo likely won't be 400 this year and will be behind those four most of the weekend.

GA1 is a total dark horse that I doubt will be fast enough to keep up with these mentioned above, but on paper it sure isn't a slow plane. Curious where Karl will end up in this mix.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Bummer about Endeavor. I?ve always enjoyed watching that plane.

Headed out tomorrow! Can?t wait to get me feet in the ramp.

Comment

A couple from the VOS

Interesting video shoot after qualifying with the sport guys on the course
            Attached Files
            You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
            X