"Who's coming with me?" Positive Vibes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Who's coming with me?" Positive Vibes

So my sponsors packet arrived today and I have to say, the energy for Reno is high around my office!!! This time of year people start spending a little more time at the Reno wall (picture wall in the office of all things Reno) and thinking about what fun awaits. So I thought a thread telling everyone what their typical week looks like might be fun. When are you headed out? Where do you stay? What traditions do you have? What performer are you most excited to see? That kind of fun stuff. I know everything is going to work out and the Races are going to be epic this year!

As for us, we head out on Tuesday. Paisan's brings us sandwiches a few of the days which are a must have. Our big tradition is dinner at Bertha Miranda's on Saturday night every year. Been doing that for almost 20 years. Love all the races and racers, just can't beat it. As for the performer this year, what a lineup!!!! How do you pick between the 35, Osprey and the T-Birds? I just can't!

Looking forward to clear skies, clean racing and more than a few cold ones come mid September!!!

GO NCAR!!!!

Re: "Who's coming with me?" Positive Vibes

I'm in. I'll be there Wed afternoon to Sun, plagues and fires be damned. Staying in an RV in the Optimist lot.

I've been following the fires pretty carefully. I suspect that due to the location and direction of the Caldor fire that there will be massive resources thrown at it so it doesn't get into the Tahoe basin. I got a good look at it from a southwest flight on Sunday morning and it was a beast. Smoke is bad now, but will improve. I had a mild but confirmed case of Covid (in December '19 !) and the Moderna Vax, so not really worried about that.

cheers,
    Pete

Comment

Looking forward to a much needed race week

F-35 and Thunderbirds are awesome this year (just saw both in Michigan). Osprey isn't on the performer list anymore so a little bummed if they had to pull out.

NAHI !! Always love NAHI.

Cheering for Miss A for the third time, hoping for some serious racing in Sport Gold, excited to see Viper back on the jet course as well.

I believe I read the Caldor fire is getting the most resources of any fire in the nation at the moment so that's good. Let's see how the next week or two play out...
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
        Osprey isn't on the performer list anymore so a little bummed if they had to pull out.
        I saw that but the F-35 is off the list too. Only showing the Heritage flight. Thinking something is just going on with the web site updates. Hoping at least.

Comment

I'll be up there on Wednesday around (hopefully) mid day.

Will

Comment

I plan to be there before the sun rises on Monday, thru Sunday. Maybe try Sunday evening before the Monday if I can stay awake from my flight in on Sunday. Staying at the Comfort Inn at Reno Tahoe It's either use it or lose it with my air fair since I held it from last year.
            May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Way too many traditions to list...drive up with buddy from San Diego, stop in Bishop for the night and catch a high school FB game "Friday Night Lights", drown a few worms in Twin Lakes Sat. AM the on to RTS.

Tuesday night seafood bake in PJ campground with Oysters flown in from WA, salmon from AK. Star gazing while trotting out to Sani Hut at 0300 ( tho now most nights I'm at the Nugget). And the aroma of sweet sage and exhaust fumes, Dawn Patrol, parties, et al.

It's a special place and glad to be a part of it all.

As for Performers, if the 35 Demo and Osprey are a scratch it happened overnight. I'm still cranking on the schedule and they are both still on it.

Sending good vibes to the weather and fire gods...
              Owen Ashurst
              Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
              http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                Way too many traditions to list...drive up with buddy from San Diego, stop in Bishop for the night .
                Owen,

Do you stop at Schat's Bakery in Bishop, the chile cheese bread if awesome. Thats my tradition every time I head to Death Valley, then again on way home to pick up more

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                  Owen,

Do you stop at Schat's Bakery in Bishop, the chile cheese bread if awesome. Thats my tradition every time I head to Death Valley, then again on way home to pick up more

Oh yeah...actually we stay in Creekside Inn next door. It's a must!
                  Owen Ashurst
                  Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                  http://airbossone.com/

Comment

I am hugely looking forward to Reno.

The motorhome is already in halfway there. It's in Bend, OR, getting its annual service. I'll be camping in the mountains with the truck/camper the weekend before Reno, doing some astronomy stuff. I'll head back out of the mountains on either Sunday afternoon (September 12) or Monday morning. My wife is also going to be on the road right before we head down to Reno, so she'll need time to get back home and then ready for Reno before we can leave.

As soon as we're ready, we'll hop in the tow car and head down. We'll pick up the motorhome on the way.

We have a spot at the Optimist lot and should be there Monday evening or sometime Tuesday, depending on when we can hit the road.

We have friends in a couple of RV's that will be joining us at the Optimist lot on Wednesday or Thursday. Our oldest son and his wife will be flying down on Thursday morning. Their schedule is a bit tight, so they'll have to fly home on Sunday morning and will miss the money races. My youngest son might fly down and back with them. His wife doesn't have time to come down, but he's going to see if he can make it.

Normally, we depart for home on Sunday evening, after the Unlimited Gold has been fully recovered. We over night in central Oregon and get home on Monday afternoon. I've retired and we've moved out of the Seattle area since the last air races, so I think that we'll probably stay until Monday morning this year. Our new home is in Ellensburg, which is 100 miles closer to Reno, and also is outside of the miserable traffic trying to get into the Seattle area. It's now an easy drive all the way from Reno to home, and can be done in daylight hours on a single day.

Depending on whether everyone makes it or not, there should be about 12 or 13 people in our group.

Comment

[QUOTE=

As for Performers, if the 35 Demo and Osprey are a scratch it happened overnight. I'm still cranking on the schedule and they are both still on it.

Sending good vibes to the weather and fire gods...[/QUOTE]

That's good news. Looking forward to seeing both of those fly a full demo. Should be awesome!

Comment

The wife and I will be going up Wednesday. We have our room booked at CircusCircus and our box seat. This is the first year she does not have go back to work after Reno. RETIRED!

Comment

Will be flying into Sacramento on Thursday and driving over to Reno that afternoon. I made my first trip to the NCAR in 2000 and haven't missed a year (except in 2001 due to 9-11 and last year due to COVID). Really looking forward to being back on the field!

Comment

We got a spot in the Optimist Lot this year; our first year camping at the field. I leave Idaho Friday morning and meet up with a buddy (who's pulling the trailer) that afternoon. He lives in the Sacramento area. We usually ship out Monday morning as the drive back to Idaho is a little rough on Sunday after the last race.

For the last 10 or so years, we've stayed at the GSR, but that has usually led to really long nights with little to no sleep for the weekend. We're getting up there in age now and long nights drinking and gambling take much longer to recover from. So, we figured we should try something different and get the "FULL" Air Race experience by staying at/near the field. We are vey much looking forward to camping and will have to adjust my personal schedule as I'm a two/day shower type guy!

We're looking forward to being back at Stead! Bbq'ing, drinking beers, and sitting in a lawn chair never sounded so good!
                            "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                              We got a spot in the Optimist Lot this year; our first year camping at the field. I leave Idaho Friday morning and meet up with a buddy (who's pulling the trailer) that afternoon. He lives in the Sacramento area. We usually ship out Monday morning as the drive back to Idaho is a little rough on Sunday after the last race.

For the last 10 or so years, we've stayed at the GSR, but that has usually led to really long nights with little to no sleep for the weekend. We're getting up there in age now and long nights drinking and gambling take much longer to recover from. So, we figured we should try something different and get the "FULL" Air Race experience by staying at/near the field. We are vey much looking forward to camping and will have to adjust my personal schedule as I'm a two/day shower type guy!

We're looking forward to being back at Stead! Bbq'ing, drinking beers, and sitting in a lawn chair never sounded so good!
                              That sounds amazing! I've camped up at Oshkosh but Reno we're always hosting a bunch of people so we stay in a hotel. One of these days when I can do just what I want to do I'm going to camp so i can be there from first light to last. Have a safe trip and enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X