Stead Air Field 8-18-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stead Air Field 8-18-21

I'll be heading up solo this year. I would normally bring my wife and/or grandsons with me, but this year is going to be different. My daughter and son-in-law are taking the grandbuddies to the Redwoods to camp in some fresh air, and my wife is going to be out of town for work. My attendance will most likely be on Sunday only, with St. Michael's camping on Saturday night.
    We've been inundated with smoke and particulate here for the past couple of weeks, and I get more of that due to working remotely on fire apparatus and electrical utility vehicles. I've had enough and very deeply hope that the air has cleared up by the time planes arrive at Stead. I hate to say it, but I'm not optimistic that is going to happen.
    Last edited by Bigger Al; 08-24-2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, neither am I. The fires will still be burning, at least the ones causing this now (hopefully no more) and the only thing that can save it all is a change in weather and wind direction. Push this crap back into Cali.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Well I am just going to be positive. Sunny and gorgeous.

My beer glass is full to the top!

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
          Dunno.

I was not involved in those discussions but I'd be shocked to hear Section 3 is MIA!

If there is a missing section, that will be Section 1. Section 3 will be there, perhaps a little further west.

Comment

Wayner hang in there. I know you made the right decision. We (AAFO) are all with you. Yes you are # 1 so take care of yourself. Thanks again for all you have done for me over the years. Lockheed Bob
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Bob, I will truly miss seeing you and everyone! The planes have always just been an excuse for all of us to get together anyway, right! I know that no matter how it goes, everyone who makes the pilgrimage will enjoy all of it..

I have not yet started "jonesing" but I'm sure that's coming as we get nearer and I watch the updates here....
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                Wayner hang in there. I know you made the right decision. We (AAFO) are all with you. Yes you are # 1 so take care of yourself. Thanks again for all you have done for me over the years. Lockheed Bob

Bob, well put, Ditto! Wayne take care!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                  Bob, I will truly miss seeing you and everyone! The planes have always just been an excuse for all of us to get together anyway, right! I know that no matter how it goes, everyone who makes the pilgrimage will enjoy all of it..

I have not yet started "jonesing" but I'm sure that's coming as we get nearer and I watch the updates here....
                  Wayne, I've had to make that decision twice since 2003, and it sucked. The bottom line is (in my opinion), this sport is for my entertainment purposes only and the only thing that can trump that is my personal health and my family. And while it sucked, missing those years were extremely beneficial to my health and my family so therefore it was the RIGHT decision.

Trust me, you will be with us and I know I can always come here to get my fix!
                  "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

They claim the Caldor fire will be contained by August 31 (I personally don't see how) and the Dixie fire has roughly 79% containment. They will still put out smoke but nowhere near this level.
                    Hopefully we end up with the same levels we had in 2019 (annoying but livable) or better.
                    Attached Files
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Leo, I always wondered what a clipped wing P 63 with a Merlin in it would do at Reno. A guy named Tucker had the wings clipped so much that it became unstable ( Cleveland Air Races ). I saw it in person.
                      Lockheed Bob

Comment

Always felt the P-39/P-63 had enough inherent aerodynamic issues to keep them from being competitive (and yes I know they were winning) in the last few years of the Cleveland days, and definitely now.
                        Back then, clipped with a Merlin though would have been very cool and given a good account of itself.
                        Just MHO though. I love the airplane.
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                          They claim the Caldor fire will be contained by August 31 (I personally don't see how) and the Dixie fire has roughly 79% containment. They will still put out smoke but nowhere near this level.
                          Hopefully we end up with the same levels we had in 2019 (annoying but livable) or better.
                          Now calling for containment by Sept 8. (caldor fire) It's gonna run into naked granite on the northern flank pretty soon, and ever increasing resources as it burns into the higher property values...

Both will still be smoldering a bit by race week.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            Now calling for containment by Sept 8. (caldor fire) It's gonna run into naked granite on the northern flank pretty soon, and ever increasing resources as it burns into the higher property values...

Both will still be smoldering a bit by race week.
                            Thanks for the update! Hopefully the smoke will be way down so we can go RACING!!!!!

Comment

Looks like it?s gonna get pretty smokey again this week, but if the wind predictions are accurate it should start clearing out again on Friday/Saturday. Better than vice versa with the timeline we?re working with here.
                              Last edited by GRNDP51; 08-28-2021, 08:38 PM.
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Taking it day to day. Actually have had several hours in the last couple days that we could open the windows and air out. Open now but probably not for long.
                                IF they get some control on these, and IF the winds are favorable we will be OK. Not great but OK.
                                I'm going to do an animal sacrifice this evening and baptism to appease the smoke gods. \Actually a quick swim and burn some steaks but it's all in the interpretation.
                                Lots of positive waves going out.
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X