Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping at the field

Default Camping at the field

Good afternoon everyone! I'm looking for some info regarding camping at this year's races. I did some research and found the following:

St. Michael Church lot (through their website)
    RARA approved site near the west end of the field (through their sebsite)
    Optimist Lot (through both the Church and RARA website)

It seems pretty straightforward to me, but I'm getting conflicting information. I called RARA and they stated there was still room in the Optimist lot but we would need to buy season tickets and season Pit passes. That would make sense if we were staying at the west lot, but doesn't make sense if staying at the Optimist Lot.

I called Lorraine (per the church's website) and she is gonna email me some more info.

Any info you could share would be great!

Thanks everyone!!!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Default Re: Camping at the field

When you get on site go to this lot and see if they are doing camping , if so negotiate with them for what you need.

If not, stay at the church dry lot. Dont mess with the optimist lot, not worth it.

No need to stress about reservations either if you are not gonna be in a giant RV.

Been camping on site for 35 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	25600

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjibus View Post
    When you get on site go to this lot and see if they are doing camping , if so negotiate with them for what you need.

If not, stay at the church dry lot. Dont mess with the optimist lot, not worth it.

No need to stress about reservations either if you are not gonna be in a giant RV.

Been camping on site for 35 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	25600
    That's great, thank you! Is there any contact info for them? I'm coming from Boise, ID and would like to have something locked up before we make the trek.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

St. Michael's is great for tent camping, and they never fill up. I've been staying there since 1984 and have always gotten a spot or two the day of arrival.

Our trailer is a 36' toy hauler, if that helps.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Have you thought about being a volunteer at the Races. They have their own RV parking area inside the fence line. You get free parking, and free passes. Plus you get to contribute to the Air Races. I believe you only have to volunteer for 3 different shifts, although most of us volunteer way more then that. Most of the time is spent as basically gate guards. Many positions on the flight line advising people not to pass the barriers, etc. Contact RARA if interested for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Have you thought about being a volunteer at the Races. They have their own RV parking area inside the fence line. You get free parking, and free passes. Plus you get to contribute to the Air Races. I believe you only have to volunteer for 3 different shifts, although most of us volunteer way more then that. Most of the time is spent as basically gate guards. Many positions on the flight line advising people not to pass the barriers, etc. Contact RARA if interested for more info.
    Took the words right outta my mouth. Volunteering is a great way to give back a little and enjoy a benefit or two.

On a side note:

I had a discussion recently with a board member who stated the board has had conversations (as they do every year) with other event boards around Reno (Rodeo, HAN, etc.). A few things noted by the Rodeo folks were: Attendance was up considerably; volunteers were down considerably; quality vendors were a bit difficult to secure, and expenses were higher than budgeted. Kind of a good news/bad news scenario.

RARA may benefit from being later in the year as things settle down more over the course of the next 2 months. But, the point here is...if you can, volunteer! Contact them via email at:https://airrace.org/volunteer/

Or call them at 775-972-6663

54 days and counting folks...
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Can one volunteer for one or two days? My group gets into town around 1400 on Friday and we all head out Monday morning.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt58 View Post
    Can one volunteer for one or two days? My group gets into town around 1400 on Friday and we all head out Monday morning.
    That I couldn't tell you. Certainly worth a call to the office I'd think. If you call let us know what your find out.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

The Church has showers & some meals & easy walk to the Gate. Rv spots have water & some electricity in the past.
    Lockheed Bob