Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dusty Hill Will Rock On Forever

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,586

    Default Dusty Hill Will Rock On Forever

    ZZ Top, another old school Americana rock band.

    I always liked long since I was a teenager during the Woodstock years. Then corporate life made a mullet more acceptable.

    After 35 years abiding by corporate culture my retirement goal was to grow a ZZ Top style beard.

    I retired 12/2019 and my beard is 1/3 there.

    Let's hoist one in Dusty's honor at beer thirty.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae829mFAGGE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Dusty Hill Will Rock On Forever

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    ZZ Top, another old school Americana rock band.

    I always liked long since I was a teenager during the Woodstock years. Then corporate life made a mullet more acceptable.

    After 35 years abiding by corporate culture my retirement goal was to grow a ZZ Top style beard.

    I retired 12/2019 and my beard is 1/3 there.

    Let's hoist one in Dusty's honor at beer thirty.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae829mFAGGE
    Ditto, my friend. Iron Butterfly "InaGadaDavida" in 1968 was an epiphany. When I brought that album home from the local record store and slapped it on the old Magnavox Stereophonic Portable Turntable system, thought my parent were gonna $#it a brick.

    While I've been fortunate to have seen almost all the great bands live, many multiple times, this one escaped me and I regret it more now than ever. Dusty Hill was the quintessential bottom line for a rock band. He will be missed greatly...

    Rock On, Dusty! Heaven has one helluva band...
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    2,586

    Default Re: Dusty Hill Will Rock On Forever

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Ditto, my friend. Iron Butterfly "InaGadaDavida" in 1968 was an epiphany. When I brought that album home from the local record store and slapped it on the old Magnavox Stereophonic Portable Turntable system, thought my parent were gonna $#it a brick.

    While I've been fortunate to have seen almost all the great bands live, many multiple times, this one escaped me and I regret it more now than ever. Dusty Hill was the quintessential bottom line for a rock band. He will be missed greatly...

    Rock On, Dusty! Heaven has one helluva band...
    Your kidding, me too. About the same year I walked down to our local record store in Linda Mar and bought the exact same album. Went home and played it over and over on the old RCA Viking down in the basement. I just checked my vinyl collection and no longer have that one. However I still have the Viking record player.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4310.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	303.8 KB 
ID:	25654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4311.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	366.6 KB 
ID:	25655
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 07-30-2021 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Dusty Hill Will Rock On Forever

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    ZZ Top, another old school Americana rock band.

    I always liked long since I was a teenager during the Woodstock years. Then corporate life made a mullet more acceptable.

    After 35 years abiding by corporate culture my retirement goal was to grow a ZZ Top style beard.

    I retired 12/2019 and my beard is 1/3 there.

    Let's hoist one in Dusty's honor at beer thirty.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae829mFAGGE
    Was very fortunate to play and beat Mr. Hill in a pool tournament here in Houston back in the 80s. I didn't appreciate it at the time, as I was around 9 years old, but have been a big fan since. ZZ was my first concert. Memories are good.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Dusty Hill Will Rock On Forever

    Quote Originally Posted by marada mx3 View Post
    Was very fortunate to play and beat Mr. Hill in a pool tournament here in Houston back in the 80s. I didn't appreciate it at the time, as I was around 9 years old, but have been a big fan since. ZZ was my first concert. Memories are good.
    Nine years old and already a pool shark?! Atta boy!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Dusty Hill Will Rock On Forever

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Boss View Post
    Nine years old and already a pool shark?! Atta boy!
    I wouldn't say I was a pool shark, but not bad for a kid. I had my 15 minutes of fame by beating Dusty with a lucky bank shot, and then finishing 3rd in that tournament. It was at a small bar that Mr. Hill frequented off Memorial Dr. Reminds me of "Cheers" now that I look back.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default Re: Dusty Hill Will Rock On Forever

    Quote Originally Posted by marada mx3 View Post
    I wouldn't say I was a pool shark, but not bad for a kid. I had my 15 minutes of fame by beating Dusty with a lucky bank shot, and then finishing 3rd in that tournament. It was at a small bar that Mr. Hill frequented off Memorial Dr. Reminds me of "Cheers" now that I look back.
    Great story.. great memories! 👍
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •