Camping at the field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping at the field

Gotta say this thread causes me to regret no taking part in this circus of cubic inches a long time ago. Hearing you guys discuss the good ol' days of just showing up, camping in the various lots, not much around the field, etc.

Can only imagine what the atmosphere must have been like. Time changes everything I suppose.

It's still a great event...just different. Gotta also say I do miss my Pylon Judge camping spot and the guys. Just west of the T hangars, 50' south of TWY ALPHA with a wide open view of the course.

Best of luck to everyone in search of a place to call home for the week or weekend!
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

A few years ago I brought a picture I had taken in '79 of the RB to have Steve Hinton sign it. He was glad to of course but what was funny was him holding it up and calling everyone over to see the total lack of development in Red Rock. Those old shots really highlight the building out there. Does anyone else remember the building near pylon 1? The T-6's used to look like they were barely missing it as shadows passed over it.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

The Red rock area was home for us during the air races for many many years in the 70s to 90s.

Our preferred spot was at the end of the Silver Knolls drive and runway.

I had "Loiuse", my daily driver 1966 Custom Cab Ford, with a caravan shell and platform on the roof we could sit on.

Kids just loved it.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 07-23-2021, 08:00 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I talked to Lorraine at the Optimist Club, they have 40 or so RV sites left as of this morning (July 23)

that's were I am staying...

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
            The Red rock area was home for us during the air races for many many years in the 70s to 90s.

Our preferred spot was at the end of the Silver Knolls drive and runway.

I had "Loiuse", my daily driver 1966 Custom Cab Ford, with a caravan shell and platform on the roof we could sit on.

Kids just loved it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25615[/ATTACH]
            Couple years we camped out up on the hillside in Red Rock and when we would see the Unlimiteds being pulled out to the Ramp area we would drive down to the fence line in the VoS.
            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

I too spoke with Lorraine regarding the optimist lot; we are gonna go that route this year.

We've been talking about camping at or near the field for some time now and this year we are finally doing it!
              "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

I drove into Stead today, the lots across from the church between Bravo Ave (outside of airport fence where old ticket and turnstiles are) south to Echo Ave has construction fencing all the way around, unless the Stead RV and Storage is taking up all that land, or maybe also they are building another warehouse, there will be very limited parking outside the fence.

Also, the last 3 Stead Army Air Field buildings on Echo (by the Y across from Flag pole) are sealed and going through asbestos removal.

Who still remembers the little bar/restaurant on Mt Lida street between Alpha and Bravo ave. (70s)

Comment

I remember going to that bar for a cold one after the races but can't remember the name of it.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                    I remember going to that bar for a cold one after the races but can't remember the name of it.
                    After I hit submit, I thought to myself- I'm sure Lockheed Bob had a few there :-)

Sure enough, I was right.

I'm at loss for the name as well. For some reason "Steak House" or something like that is in my old memory bank?

I kind of remember, half circle booths and wood paneling and red decor?

Sure wish I would have taken a photos?

Last edited by Desertdawg; 07-28-2021, 03:35 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                      After I hit submit, I thought to myself- I'm sure Lockheed Bob had a few there :-)

Sure enough, I was right.

I'm at loss for the name as well. For some reason "Steak House" or something like that is in my old memory bank?

I kind of remember, half circle booths and wood paneling and red decor?

Sure wish I would have taken a photos?

Wow...now THAT'S a decor! You sure it didn't have mirrors on the ceiling?
                      Owen Ashurst
                      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                        Wow...now THAT'S a decor! You sure it didn't have mirrors on the ceiling?
                        You mean like this

I wish, I would have been there more than once and remembered the name for sure

Comment

Working...
                        X