Race Class Registration Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Race Class Registration Update

My observation is when a military jet team is performing the stands are full. As soon as they are done performing the stands are half empty. That's butts in the seats. I am in the die hard group that would attend for racing only. Military jet teams are a necessity for survival.

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
      My observation is when a military jet team is performing the stands are full. As soon as they are done performing the stands are half empty. That's butts in the seats.
      Ya, but where do they go?

Most go get a drink, food, restroom, mill around the vendors (and buy), displays and the pits. That is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
        Ya, but where do they go?

Most go get a drink, food, restroom, mill around the vendors (and buy), displays and the pits. That is a good thing.

I completely agree, but without a military jet team most of them would not be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
          I completely agree, but without a military jet team most of them would not be there.
          And that is so true.

Comment

Warning...2022. No jet team.

If you care to ask me why, I'll tell you.
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

BTW...if you think watching a military jet team on You Tube is the way forward...well...to each his own.
              Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                Warning...2022. No jet team.

If you care to ask me why, I'll tell you.
                I?ll bite. Why?

Comment

When a high ranking member makes it known that he doesn't give a flyin' F if the Blues ever come back to Reno.

When a high ranking member tells a member of a US Military jet team that he appreciates that they understand they are NOT the headliners and this is all about racing.

This is a very small, tight-knit industry. That kind of talk spreads like wildfire.

Is that message you want you send to the acts that you know pay the freight?

What worked in the past no longer works. It's time to retool, rethink, and reinvent Reno
                  Last edited by Air Boss; 07-17-2021, 08:50 AM.
                  Owen Ashurst

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post

You guys just bummed me out with this update on Thunder Over Michigan... I've taken my Dad and sometimes my wife to that show most years for the last 20 and we've been always been impressed by the way one can get "up close and personal" with dozens of warbirds and with the ground battle re-enactors. I cannot imagine sitting in or standing next to my car with the airplanes in the distance would be the same!!!

There's a lot of memories there of being under the wingtip of the Avro Lancaster as it was marshalled into its parking space, or watching an original BF-109 start up from 50 feet away, or walking around under the wing of the DC-7 dodging the oil drips, or watching Cloud Dancer, Riff Raff, and the Super Corsair demonstrate Reno Racing in the Midwest. I go to airshows for experiences like that! I can watch the Blue Angles in my car if I want... on YouTube!
                    It?s not really a drive-in anymore. You park your car on the field then do what you want. That includes walking up to the 20 or so B-25?s that will be there, and talking to the crews.
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

[QUOTE=Air Boss;143228]When a high ranking member makes it known that he doesn't give a flyin' F if the Blues ever come back to Reno.

When a high ranking member tells a member of a US Military jet team that he appreciates that they understand they are NOT the headliners and this is all about racing.

This is a very small, tight-knit industry. That kind of talk spreads like wildfire.

What worked in the past no longer works. It's time to retool, rethink, and reinvent Reno.

Has Reno generally taken precedence over other shows fighting for the Blues and Tbirds? Both of them have shows during Reno '22 so at least it's not just a blatant disregarding of Reno. I'm cool with a Super Hornet or F-35C and the Raptor... if the casual fans are is a different story.
                      Last edited by Air Boss; 07-17-2021, 08:50 AM.
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

[QUOTE=Air Boss;143228]When a high ranking member makes it known that he doesn't give a flyin' F if the Blues ever come back to Reno.

What worked in the past no longer works. It's time to retool, rethink, and reinvent Reno.

WELP! Reading you five by five there Owen. Heartbreaking to say the least and I just don’t get it. Will Reno ever be what it was in the 80s or 90s? No. Father Time waits for no one or no thing, even our beloved Unlimiteds. Does that mean in the 20s Reno cannot be its own damn fine event? Absolutely not. If Reno doesn’t interest you if it doesn’t look like the 80s and 90s, I respect that but get out of the way of those who want to have a great event of its own style.

I love accessing my own memories from that time and hearing those of others who had experiences I could only dream of as a lowly attendee. At some point, if you want there to be a future of any kind, you have to get up out of the rocking chair and go to work. If you prefer to stay in the rocking chair, that’s fine. Just don’t make us carry you on our backs with stuff like the nonsense you describe.

James
                        Last edited by Air Boss; 07-17-2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                          Has Reno generally taken precedence over other shows fighting for the Blues and Tbirds? Both of them have shows during Reno '22 so at least it's not just a blatant disregarding of Reno. I'm cool with a Super Hornet or F-35C and the Raptor... if the casual fans are is a different story.
                          First off, yes. I edited my original post to soften the tone a bit. Should have done what I normally do...draft it, let it sit, then come back to it. My bad...

One could make a fairly strong argument that one of the teams is doing just that. Disregarding Reno. For an aviation event the size and scope of Reno, it's really unfortunate that it does not welcome a military jet team every year. Are there sked issues with these teams, yes, of course. Snowbirds for example are typically at a huge show in Ontario every year about Reno time.

Another factor is Reno isn't the same weekend every year. It's held the first full week after Labor Day so the airshow component can range from the 11th-14th of the month to the 17th-20th of the month. For the most part, large events are locked in to a specific weekend (Seafair first weekend in Aug, Oshkosh last weekend in July) etc.

2022 will be an interesting study in how the event manages without the benefit of a jet team. No doubt we'll have single-ship ACC and/or USN stuff. Frankly, I'd like RARA to entertain things like a twilight jet demo, pyro, night drone show, jet truck, etc. Change things up a bit. But hey...that's just me.
                          Last edited by Air Boss; 07-17-2021, 08:46 AM.
                          Owen Ashurst

Comment

BTW...if you think watching a military jet team on You Tube is the way forward...well...to each his own.

I was referring to the concept of Thunder Over Michigan being a drive-in only event. I hadn't heard that prior to yesterday, and the news depressed me. I've always loved how that show puts you up close to living, breathing warbirds, their crews, and the ground battle reenactors. If this year's format is to sit in the car watching fly-by's, it reminds me a bit of my lunch break the other day when I ate a burger in my car outside a restaurant that's been drive-thru only for 18 months as I watched airplane videos on my phone

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                              I was referring to the concept of Thunder Over Michigan being a drive-in only event. I hadn't heard that prior to yesterday, and the news depressed me. I've always loved how that show puts you up close to living, breathing warbirds, their crews, and the ground battle reenactors. If this year's format is to sit in the car watching fly-by's, it reminds me a bit of my lunch break the other day when I ate a burger in my car outside a restaurant that's been drive-thru only for 18 months as I watched airplane videos on my phone
                              Ah, got it! Point taken and apologies for misunderstanding your post.

And your thought about eating your burger is a good one!
                              Owen Ashurst

Comment

2022 will be an interesting study in how the event manages without the benefit of a jet team. No doubt we'll have single-ship ACC and/or USN stuff. Frankly, I'd like RARA to entertain things like a twilight jet demo, pyro, night drone show, jet truck, etc. Change things up a bit. But hey...that's just me.
                                A couple years back RARA had this concept of a ?festival? with the band in the pits after the day concluded. When I heard festival I thought more along the lines of OSH. A Saturday twilight show would be incredible. It would take some $$$ but having Randy Ball at Reno would be a great addition for daytime and a twilight show.
                                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                                X