The Catwalk--or whatever they call it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Catwalk--or whatever they call it

I'm sure most might not agree with me and that's fine. My first Reno Air Race was in 1966 as a 10 year old kid. Since then I've missed only 5 and been there every year since 1984. It's always been the unlimiteds that brought me to Reno without a doubt. When they first started bringing the unlimiteds out in front of the stands before the gold race there was an electricity in the air that I've never felt or experienced anywhere else. There was tension, excitement and it was just such an unknown as to who really would end up 1st, 2nd and 3rd. My question is--has this gotten old and worn out with where the unlimited field now stands--something that really just takes too much time and for what? That electricity in the air that you could once feel is gone--completely. We know who is going to win at greatly reduced speeds compared to years ago--and I'm NOT knocking that at all. We know who is going to be in the way of the few faster unlimiteds and the people around me seem to have the same kind of feeling the last few years--lets just race and be done with it. I guess what I don't' like is the announcers attempting to make an excitement that just isn't there and their "enthusiasm" gets old right after talking to the first race pilot if not before. Perhaps it's me just getting old and I need to be quiet and just deal with it? Wondering if anyone else has felt this way the last little while.

I know this might be borderline sacrilegious--what if bringing the gold sport class out in front before their race--there really is an electricity in the air before their race because of the unknown of who has what left and the potential for several of the top qualifiers being able to take first place. Just curious as to how others view this.

Re: The Catwalk--or whatever they call it

It's the Duckwalk, and it's still awesome. I wouldn't mind one for the sport to help promote the future of the races and get people excited about those pilots as well, but there's nothing like seeing that big iron staged out in front of you. Even my kids get excited for it and won't miss it.
    Last edited by PowerByPackard; 07-12-2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerByPackard View Post
      It?s the Duckwalk, and it?s still awesome. I wouldn?t mind one for the sport to help promote the future of the races and get people excited about those pilots as well, but there?s nothing like seeing that big iron staged out in front of you. Even my kids get excited for it and won?t miss it.
      I agree, it is a nice way to end race week, great for the crews that work tirelessly to get some recognition. Definately gets the kids attention.

Comment

I'd definitely watch that for all classes! Whoever does the announcing really needs to have their facts straight. Will there be a new nickname to announce each class? They can't all be "The Baaaad Boys of Air Racing" can they?

Comment

I too always enjoy the duckwalk, and I believe it's a tradition worth keeping and would be a good way to draw attention to the other classes, especially the Sport class.

In terms of nicknames, I think we can do without nicknames. Some of the most bizarre things have been said by the announcer during the duckwalk intros over the years ... there definitely comes a point where less is better, just give me the essential facts and let the airplanes speak for themselves.

In general though, I've felt for a while that there needs to be a change in the announcing team or at the very least a change in there approach. Not only are the same tired silly phrases repeated again and again, but nothing frustrates me more than listening to the announcers drag on through the same long winded historical story they've shared the last 3 days in a row while ignoring the racing taking place right in front of them. Sometimes the most exciting parts of a race are completely missed by the announcers while they rehash the same narrative as if reading from the info card of a parade float. If the races are the highlight, then treat it like a race and draw attention to the race ... rant over ...
          Last edited by chrs3590; 07-12-2021, 08:34 PM.
          Chris

Comment

One word...time.

Frankly, I'd dispose of the duck walk entirely. It's a time suck that no longer adds real value. We're already up against a ridiculous time constraint to get all the racing and airshow action in between 0800 and 1730.

It's time to consider (i) eliminating one heat race from each class, (ii) eliminating the Duck Walk, (ii) running quals from 0730 Monday to 1730 Tuesday (maybe staring on Sunday) and, (iv) racing Wednesday from 0730 to Thursday 1730. Medallion and Bronze medal races Friday thru Saturday AM. Silver Saturday PM and early Sunday AM. Gold races Sunday.

If RARA has been forced to cut their operations to the bone, how is it that each class can expect to perform BAU? No. Bad plan. Every class must step up to the plate and be willing to change it's operational plan to contribute to the overall benefit of the greater good.

That's just my opinion...I could be wrong.
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Owen,

Sure is nice having your input and thoughts here.

Many thanks to you and RARA from all of us here.

Cheers

Hans

Comment

Personally, I think the duck walk drags things out too. The introduction of the planes and pilots could easily be done will taxing, taking off, and forming up for the race. I know listening to comments each year from many friends they feel the same way.

Comment

Working...
                X