Stu Eberhardt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stu Eberhardt

I don't know if the family posts here or not, but Stu passed away today. I know he is a legend in the racing community but he also spent a good chunk of 8 years flying Betty Jane on tour with us. Just thought I'd pass the word for those not on social media. Cancer sucks.

Jim

Re: Stu Eberhardt

Blue Skies Stu. A true gentleman both on & off the scene.Prayers & thoughts to Family & Friends.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

CAVU, Stu....Fair Winds. Another legend flies West...sigh.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Thoughts and Prayers to the "First Family" of Air Racing. Marilyn, Bill and Jim.

CAVU

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Harley909 View Post
          I don't know if the family posts here or not, but Stu passed away today. I know he is a legend in the racing community but he also spent a good chunk of 8 years flying Betty Jane on tour with us. Just thought I'd pass the word for those not on social media. Cancer sucks.

Jim
          Indeed! I managed to survive my bout but my life has been changed forever... One can only hope that we find the "cure" someday!

Blue Skies Stu! You will be missed!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Truly sad news. He will be missed.

Comment

Just watched Merlin Fly around KLVK 6;30pm 7/2/21 on FlightAware
              I thought it was Stu getting Merlin ready for the 4th.
              So sorry to hear the news.
              Blue Sky's & tail winds Stu.
              You were my hometown racer.
              Say Hi to Uncle Dave for me.
              Damn it.

Comment

You will be missed. I enjoyed our talks and your visits to Santa Rosa for our airshow.
                I asked him one day how he learned to fly the P51 Mustang and I was surprised to hear him say that he taught himself.

Comment

There may have been a few Margarita's involved in this story so my memory is a bit sketchy...Stu bought Merlins Magic from a guy in Wisconsin. He hadn't flown one before and as he said "I read the book". The strip he launched out of was a small grass strip...and Stu being Stu, he said he was on his way to California.

Stu spent a lot of time on tour with us, a lot. Marilyn was so excited he got to fly a Mustang on someone else's dime that she got to buy new curtains . 2009 or so we were at Yolo with the tour and Jimmy Rollison put together a fly in during our stop. Stu and Marilyn were there with Merlins Magic. Stu loved flying Betty Jane but he had a disdain for the canopy, you can't open it on the ground with the engine running...it gets hot in there, and you definitely can't open it in the air. In Stu's voice I can still hear him saying "you know Jim, the D model doesn't have a speed limit on opening the canopy". That Saturday evening Mac and I had just launched in 909 on an evening ride, Stu and Marilyn had taxied out behind us. The gear was barely in the well and Stu came over the radio "forming up on your right side"...there was Stu, canopy all the way back, a huge grin, and flipping us the bird. With that he peeled off and headed for LVK. So many great memories.

Stu did my checkout in the Mustang, he spent quite a few hours in the backseat of Betty Jane putting me through my paces. On a slow evening in Bessemer Alabama he said "you want to go flying?"...he climbed in the back and we went out did a bunch of acro and few simulated engine outs over the field. When I climbed out he said with a big grin "there's nothing more we can do, a$$hole"...you're still going to let me fly it, right?"... In that moment I didn't have words, Stu had passed a torch and paid me one of the best compliments I have ever received. Stu was one of a kind, and one of the best souls I have ever been around, not just in an airplane. Life has been all the better for knowing him, and his family. For that I am thankful.

Comment

There may have been a few Margarita's involved in this story so my memory is a bit sketchy...Stu bought Merlins Magic from a guy in Wisconsin. He hadn't flown one before and as he said "I read the book". The strip he launched out of was a small grass strip...and Stu being Stu, he said he was on his way to California.

Stu spent a lot of time on tour with us, a lot. Marilyn was so excited he got to fly a Mustang on someone else's dime that she got to buy new curtains . 2009 or so we were at Yolo with the tour and Jimmy Rollison put together a fly in during our stop. Stu and Marilyn were there with Merlins Magic. Stu loved flying Betty Jane but he had a disdain for the canopy, you can't open it on the ground with the engine running...it gets hot in there, and you definitely can't open it in the air. In Stu's voice I can still hear him saying "you know Jim, the D model doesn't have a speed limit on opening the canopy". That Saturday evening Mac and I had just launched in 909 on an evening ride, Stu and Marilyn had taxied out behind us. The gear was barely in the well and Stu came over the radio "forming up on your right side"...there was Stu, canopy all the way back, a huge grin, and flipping us the bird. With that he peeled off and headed for LVK. So many great memories.

Stu did my checkout in the Mustang, he spent quite a few hours in the backseat of Betty Jane putting me through my paces. On a slow evening in Bessemer Alabama he said "you want to go flying?"...he climbed in the back and we went out did a bunch of acro and few simulated engine outs over the field. When I climbed out he said with a big grin "there's nothing more we can do, a$$hole"...you're still going to let me fly it, right?"... In that moment I didn't have words, Stu had passed a torch and paid me one of the best compliments I have ever received. Stu was one of a kind, and one of the best souls I have ever been around, not just in an airplane. Life has been all the better for knowing him, and his family. For that I am thankful.
                    Great story...great tribute. Well done, sir.
                    Owen Ashurst
                    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Thanks for sharing that story, put a smile on my face. Not many of the these stand up old school guys left.

Comment

Working...
                      X