Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS 2021 Photos

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
    PRS had fewer entries than we anticipated. Given the two session split, the second session was pretty light. No STOL, 5 or 6 T-6's, 2 UNL, and a few Bips, so we cut the session short and finished at 1100 Friday.

A good, safe, week of flying. And I can report that on more than one occassion I heard the expression "Wow!" on the Race Control freq when a rookie was asked what he thought of the course.

Now, on to September. If you're not pestering your friends, neighbors, and relatives to come to Reno in September, get on it!
    That woulda been some handy information to have on Saturday morning. Still, 225 miles on the bike is still not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

Comment

Motorsport tracks have all sorts of track experience packages for people that want to take their car onto a track. Has RARA ever considered doing the same.
      The air races already are a track day. You go through PRS and then RARA and the FAA let people have some fun for a week out of the year
      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Just imported and cleaned-out all the photos on my iPhone, there was a PSR one from Friday morning.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-15-2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

My Apologies, Fellas.

I should have been on top of this while I was at PRS and given you guys a heads up that we were shutting down early on Friday. Could have spared a few folks a trip. My bust...

In any event, here's hoping the trend toward increased attendance at major events continues and we see strong numbers turning the turnstiles at KRTS in September. I heard the rodeo basically sold out farily quickly and other events here in SoCal and other place around the country are seeing similar numbers. That bodes well.

As an FYI, we lost the F-22 Raptor as a performer. Seems some brass in DC decided it was more important to send it to Mexico that week.

But, the ACC stepped up and replaced it with the F-35A Lightning. Hopefully RARA markets the heck outta that and puts the fact that the pilot is the first female to lead this ACC team front and center. Good stuff.

Would the last person to leave the Tower please turn out the lights. I was the Tail-ass Charlie coming down on Friday and grabbed this quick shot. Not a bad view from my office...
          Attached Files
          Owen Ashurst
          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

As for having a "Track Day" at Reno, I have a couple words...

FAA and Insurance.
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Don't beat yourself up too much over the event ending early. 'Tis what it 'tis.

There's a golden opportunity to market the F-35 and the woman team leader. It would be a great thing for school kids to see, and for parents to go to as well.

My wife and I took Grandbuddy #1 to Fast Fridays Speedway motorcycle racing in Auburn, CA a couple of weeks ago. It's the first time the public has been allowed since October, 2019, and the stands were packed. That was really nice to see, as was the smile on the face of a 4-year-old when the bikes thundered by. He's been asking me about Reno more and more, and every time he and his younger brother stay the night we cap off the following morning with some of Jason's excellent videos on YouTube. Doesn't get much better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                PRS had fewer entries than we anticipated. Given the two session split, the second session was pretty light. No STOL, 5 or 6 T-6's, 2 UNL, and a few Bips, so we cut the session short and finished at 1100 Friday.
                2 Unlimiteds seems like a pretty good turnout for PRS!

One of them was 924, used by Smooter to train the lone UNL rookie in a Mustang. But hey...that's potentially one more into the fold.
                Last edited by Air Boss; 06-16-2021, 07:28 AM.
                Random Air Blog

Comment

Owen,

What a view, one of the best office views ever.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                    2 Unlimiteds seems like a pretty good turnout for PRS!

One of them was 924, used by Smooter to train the lone UNL rookie in a Mustang. But hey...that's potentially one more into the fold.
                    Technically two rookies. One only did ground school because they were sorting out some insurance issues. Hopefully that gets sorted and he can do pilot quals the first day of practice in Sept.

Comment

As for "Track Day " at Reno.....I've flown the course a couple of different times....in Cessna's.
                      remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                        As for "Track Day " at Reno.....I've flown the course a couple of different times....in Cessna's.
                        In another lifetime (seems like it least) a LOOOONG time ago, I had a Por-sche 914 (PorschePorschePorsche) that's for those of you who remember those obnoxious ads back then!!

I joined the Porsche Club for one reason and one reason only, my car was not a "rag" but for sure not a showpiece, I bought it to drive the hell out of it and joined the club for same reason. I got two laps of instruction then got turned loose.

I was a much better/safer driver after that day because I'd actually found and felt the limits and knew how to stay away from them, unless I was on the track (PIR in this case)

Didn't we do interviews with PRS pilots over the years where they talked about how much sharper they felt about emergency situations.. Pretty sure I've seen comments to that end somewhere.

Wish I could have been there!

Thanks to Desertdawg for being there! And, taking the time to share here.
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

When I retired in 2019, the company flew me to Atlanta for a formal good bye.

The highlight was a GT3 RS session around the company test track.

To think their factory drivers have multiple track days daily.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            In another lifetime (seems like it least) a LOOOONG time ago, I had a Por-sche 914 (PorschePorschePorsche) that's for those of you who remember those obnoxious ads back then!!

I joined the Porsche Club for one reason and one reason only, my car was not a "rag" but for sure not a showpiece, I bought it to drive the hell out of it and joined the club for same reason. I got two laps of instruction then got turned loose.
                            I remember in 1970 when the 914 first came out I had to make a parts pickup in SF at Van Ness Porsche and they had a 914 in the show room. Interesting idea, Porsche leads by thinking out of the box.

Heres a 914 display shot from the Porsche Cars NA museum in Atlanta

Comment

They are a major league ball to drive. At least back then! I think we all drive a lot faster today than in the 70's 80's.. LOL, least it seems so, could be that everyone is driving the same as they did then, I'm just going slower LOL!!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                                They are a major league ball to drive. At least back then! I think we all drive a lot faster today than in the 70's 80's.. LOL, least it seems so, could be that everyone is driving the same as they did then, I'm just going slower LOL!!
                                Wayne,

Everything is faster since WE were young.

Comment

Working...
                                X