PRS 2021 Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS 2021 Photos

Couple shots from this morning. 3 more T6s appeared, plus today the air boat was in position at Swan Lake.
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-09-2021, 02:21 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Dammit! I have been working from home for over a year now. It has been great, few distractions, comfort of home, very short commute, all that.
      Until this past week. I am getting tired from constantly running outside to see what is flying over! Too busy (deadlines) to take off and go out there, I have to be available for management issues here.
      Curse you PRS!!
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I'm heading up to Stead early Saturday morning to hopefully catch some flying before it's all over.

Comment

Hopefully RARA will put out a list of all classes of who did what. Thanks for all the photos. I tracked some of them on Flight Radar24.
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Well, finally cut loose this morning and went out to Stead.
            No pics because there is nothing to see! Hangers closed up, nothing on ramp except residence planes. 2 jets near the ACL hanger are racers but buttoned up tight.
            Wife says I should have gone yesterday, DOH!
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I got up early, saddled up the bike and rode the 110 miles to Stead only to find the place mostly a ghost town. The only action while I was there consisted of the crew bringing in a pylon, and the slow motion crawl of the crane as it followed the truck in. Not exactly what I was looking forward to seeing.

Comment

Sorry guys, every year before this one, I'd have been down there beating the drum and you'd probably have been aware that everyone had left.

I'm gettin too old, at least this year with multiple health issues to drop everything and run down there to play in June...

Doggie did a good job of posting who was there!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I should have known since there was nothing up in the afternoon yesterday.
                  At least I only drove 5 miles, not 110!
                  THAT is dedication!
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

PRS had fewer entries than we anticipated. Given the two session split, the second session was pretty light. No STOL, 5 or 6 T-6's, 2 UNL, and a few Bips, so we cut the session short and finished at 1100 Friday.

A good, safe, week of flying. And I can report that on more than one occassion I heard the expression "Wow!" on the Race Control freq when a rookie was asked what he thought of the course.

Now, on to September. If you're not pestering your friends, neighbors, and relatives to come to Reno in September, get on it!
                    Owen Ashurst
                    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

[QUOTA good, safe, week of flying][/QUOTE]
                      And that is all that matters.
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Air Boss View Post
                        PRS had fewer entries than we anticipated. Given the two session split, the second session was pretty light. No STOL, 5 or 6 T-6's, 2 UNL, and a few Bips, so we cut the session short and finished at 1100 Friday.

A good, safe, week of flying. And I can report that on more than one occassion I heard the expression "Wow!" on the Race Control freq when a rookie was asked what he thought of the course.

Now, on to September. If you're not pestering your friends, neighbors, and relatives to come to Reno in September, get on it!
                        Wow is right, the only place you can fly on a race course around pylons.

Motorsport tracks have all sorts of track experience packages for people that want to take their car onto a track. Has RARA ever considered doing the same. One week a month, offer a package that let people fly in, get some class room sessions then onto the course to experience the thrill of flying low and around pylons?
                        Could become an aviators dream vacation. For those that rather not fly the course themselves, offer ride along packages in a warbird, T6, Sport or biplanes.

Comment

I did one of those back about 2001 when I bought my first Vette. Our car club went to the old Sears Point raceway and took a couple days of classes and driving their cars. Pretty intense and exciting. After getting cleared safely around the course (at close to 170) we got to do a few laps in our own cars with a safety driver along. It is the fastest I have ever had that car, 150, limited by tires. We got a special rate so it wasn't prohibitively expensive and I have been a better driver since.
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                            I did one of those back about 2001 when I bought my first Vette. Our car club went to the old Sears Point raceway and took a couple days of classes and driving their cars. Pretty intense and exciting. After getting cleared safely around the course (at close to 170) we got to do a few laps in our own cars with a safety driver along. It is the fastest I have ever had that car, 150, limited by tires. We got a special rate so it wasn't prohibitively expensive and I have been a better driver since.
                            Where the hell do you hit 150 let alone 170 hp at Sears Point? I know that track very well (its my home track), and while I'm not the fastest guy out there, I can hold my own against stock Corvettes, especially through the esses, and I'm pretty sure I never break 100 mph anywhere on the track. (I'm close going into turn 10, usually 7300 rpm in 4th, if my tires are fresh. Down the front straight, muscle cars (or cars with more than 150 hp) run away from me, but from turn 2 down to turn 10, I'll hang with most street driven vehicles. I'll also mention I'm usually the oldest car on the track.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post

I road raced motorcycles at Sears Point in the early-2000's, and I can't see any place where you could hit 170.

Comment

Just on a short straight. The rest was a lot slower. acceleration was the key.
                                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X