Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RENO AIR RACES - THE INDY 500 of THE AIR - LET THE WORLD KNOW WHO WE ARE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RENO AIR RACES - THE INDY 500 of THE AIR - LET THE WORLD KNOW WHO WE ARE!!!

This thing deserves it's own thread

With my either less than stellar admin skills, or a bit of borked software, I'm not going to try to split off the thread that I managed to hijack with the message below

With the National Championship Air Races "sort-of" like the Indy 500 used to be... a once a year huge event. It dismays me to no end that Stihl does not recognize the suggestion that someone else here made, that they just put up a little "Proud Supporter of The National Championship Air Races" at the bottom end of each TV ad... Would be an absolutely HUGE shot in the arm for the most often misrecognized sport in America (ask anyone if they have heard of the Air Races and nearly every one will reply yes, that red bull thing rant/and those peericks even STOLE the idea and I can say that ONLINE IN PRINT because I signed a non-disclosure with the guy who invented what became RBAR to SUPPORT Reno, not bury it, as Red Bull seems to want to do.../rant)

My point being, as Owen says subsequently in this "split" "something's wrong"

What could it hurt? Anyone have any idea how to start a write-in suggestion campaign to them?? I borked my shoulder and can't sit at the computer for long right now (going to surgeon tomorrow) I know some of you guys are really good at this stuff!

Actually, this website was created for two reasons, I saw an opportunity open up with the NEW (at the time) deal, the web, that opportunity was to let the world know about two really important aviation interests of mine, the Spruce Goose which after all the years of "hermetically sealed" storage was sitting outside disassembled covered in PLASTIC and it simply galled me that something so precious was being treated like that... I even created and hosted the original sprucegoose.org site for a long time.

Since I grew up in Reno, I've always felt a bond, since attending my first Air Race in '79, well, I don't need to explain the fascination now do I!

I saw an opportunity to do something different there as well, I think we pretty much were the first folks to get the results out both qualifying and results, sometimes, same day... (phew... long days!)

One of the points of my starting this particular discussion is, I simply do not have the energy any longer to pursue the promotion. You guys saw it last winter, I barely had enough in me to recover the website when it crashed... (we'll see if the three joint surgeries I have coming up allow me more energy, I certainly feel better on the oral steroid they have me on now!)

OK, onto Owen's response and I'll throw it open to you's guys...
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: RENO AIR RACES - THE INDY 500 of THE AIR - LET THE WORLD KNOW WHO WE ARE!!!

REPOSTED FROM SPLIT HIJACKED THREAD

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    With the National Championship Air Races "sort-of" like the Indy 500 used to be... a once a year huge event. It dismays me to no end that Stihl does not recognize the suggestion that someone else here made, that they just put up a little "Proud Supporter of The National Championship Air Races" at the bottom end of each TV ad... Would be an absolutely HUGE shot in the arm for the most often misrecognized sport in America (ask anyone if they have heard of the Air Races and nearly every one will reply yes, that red bull thing)

What could it hurt? Anyone have any idea how to start a write-in suggestion campaign to them?? I borked my shoulder and can't sit at the computer for long right now (going to surgeon tomorrow) I know some of you guys are really good at this stuff!
    That would be me. And when I mentioned that to the PR folks hired by RARA, they said, "Hey, that's a great idea. We should check that out!".

Really? Some know-nothing fan mentions this to the "professional" marketing guru's and they're caught off guard by it! WTF?

And we wonder why this event isn't thriving? Same reason I was told by more than one high-ranking RARA member that, when I proposed we accept an offer from a military demo team for 2021, "Well, we have enough military already."

Yeah...right.

Folks, if you want this event to thrive you gotta be willing to take steps to make it survive. Pure and simple.

If anyone thinks this thing will live on solely on BAU....I want a boatload of whatever you're smoking.
    Last edited by Air Boss; Today at 09:04 PM.
    Owen Ashurst
    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
    Welcome to Air Boss One, LLC., where our mission is to ensure your air show or aviation event is conducted with the utmost safety, in accordance with FAA regulations and waiver requirements, and is a rewarding experience for you and your staff as well as an exciting and entertaining air show experience for your guests! […]
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I don't follow sailing but I did find this video fascinating. It shows that a clever use of technology can make a technically complex and possibly confusing event become more clear for the average viewer.

The same goes for the technology used for the Ghost plane in Red Bull
      » Subscribe to Red Bull Air Race: http://win.gs/SubToAirRaceIt's hard to tell the difference when it comes to split-second timing. Who can imagine what 0.007...

So while I don't think these transfer one for one, I do think that kind of outside the box thinking could make the races more enjoyable on tv. So maybe we get cameras on pylons, offer incentives for cameras on more airplanes. The point of these camera angles would be to emphasize and capture the speed. Which is something you don't get from a wide angle shot from the stands.
      "young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Great point! I remember one year following the cup very closely, it wasn't really recent either so the technology is there..

Comon' letter writers, how do we get that started??

I'd love to see the marketing dept. at Stihl show up one morning to a big ol' bin of mail from National Championship Air Race Fans!!

I also think we should push for the "NATIONAL" part of the title be emphasized

Off to the surgeon!!!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sounds good to me, I'm for anything that promotes the air races. Get me an address or email or whatever and I'll add my name to the list.

Comment

Here's the link to the Stihl corporate site.

I selected "Sponsorship" button, filled out the form, and added some comments and attached the image.

Keep it positive and forward-looking from a marketing and revenue standpoint and be sure to thank them for their support over the years!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Air Boss; 06-01-2021, 04:34 PM.
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Added my 2 cents to Stihl.

Cheers,
              Brian

Comment

I've not yet been there but personally, I would spend a bit more to own their equipment if we could make this happen.. That's what motorsports marketing is about.. Surprised their PR firm does not realize the missed opportunity..

Wish I wasn't so damn old!

<> Complete shoulder replacement coming, as soon as the cardiologist clears me for the freaking aneurism that was discovered with all this darn testing.. May have to get that fixed first.. shoulder un-freaking-bearable (no $HIT!) not gonna be able to shoot without it.. recovery time might become an issue due to first available slot and all that crap.. Reno 2021 might just be either impossible or darn different than ever for me..
                </>
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Stihl posted about PRS on their official fb page this week. Less than a hundred likes and less than half a dozen comments (most of which are bad mouthing the company).

If you have facebook or know someone who does. This would be a chance to flood them with support.

"young" Thomas

http://teamonemoment.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X